User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

er.. this is what most in modern Western society think.

MBTI
    GOO
    Enneagram

"Evil infact, constitutes a continuum, one kinds opens the door to another irregardless of its qualitative truth or the ideological slogans cloaking it."
    "The unconscious mind should be called the super-conconsious mind."

MBTI
    INTP

Evil doesn't exist. Why is that taxing to understand?

Good and evil are renamed same and others tribal categories. Within the good box, there's a list of social behaviours that's perceived as positive because it aligns with our tribe hence our people. Within the evil box, there's a list of social behaviours that's perceived as negative because it doesn't align with our tribe, hence they're one of the others who are perceived as unsafe. Hyperbolic dichotomy awash with mythological significance.

So with the above in mind, evil = individuality where personal pride is at the root of individuality.

Society

nah.

it's not the origin of our capacity and willingness to cause harm, but it can certainly be what stands in the way of stopping to cause it.

(unless by evil you mean extensive use of dark color themes, archaic symbolism, and sardonic laugh in eastern european accents...

MBTI
    NFJ

This seems a paradoxical statement to me, but that's based on my own interpretations of pride and evil.

Pride, as something which pursues life.

Evil, as something which turns away from life.

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    The sexual impulse may drive two men into competition if they both want the same girl. But that is only by accident; they might just as likely have wanted two different girls. But a proud man will take your girl from you, not because he wants her, but just to prove to himself that he is a better man than you. Greed may drive men into competition if there is not enough to go round; but the proud man, even when he has got more than he can possibly want, will try to get still more just to assert his power. Nearly all those evils in the world which people put down to greed or selfishness are really far more the result of Pride.
    C.S. Lewis does a pretty good job breaking down the sin of pride in Mere Christianity.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I don't think there is a single root to all evil. My first choice would've been "ignorance", but having given it some more thought, there are too many examples of evil committed by relatively smart, knowledgeable men (eg. the Unabomber). My second choice would've been "aggression" since I believe most violent acts are committed by the male of our species but then there are plenty of non-violent acts that are evil as well.

My third and final choice comes from having started to read Elisabeth Kubler-Ross' "The Wheel of Life'. She says that learning to love unconditionally is the greatest lesson to be learned on earth. I tend to agree with her and I believe most evil is the result of people having failed to learn that lesson.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

I do not believe that big pride is the root of all evil, the question some of you guys should ask yourself and those of who have bog egos at times. Why do I have so much pride and why am I blinded by it. It is simple, it is our fear. The fear of feeling inferior to anybody, the fear that someone is hunting us and so on. Think of the history of slavery in America, thr killing of black civil rights leaders and John F. Kennedy. The obvious reason that white supremacist did this is because of fear and most of them were arrogant. Another example is king Ramsae enslaving the hebrews, that spark fear in ramsae thinking that the hebrews were going to rebel against and that us why he had thise boys killed. Then he acted arrogantly. In both scenarios, it was their fear of something that led them to be prideful or act prideful. In all reality, fear, not pride is the root of all evil.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    I think there are two ways pride can be manifested - good and bad.

Hubris- bad
    I would agree with this. Someone with a lot of pride, for instance, might be resistant to performing acts that they consider to be dishonorable or harmful. On the other hand, a person with low self-esteem, and very little pride, can be manipulated more easily.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78