User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 66

  1. #31
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Recognize that you have positive and negative traits, improve what you can change, accept what you can't change, get rid of toxic people and atmospheres, find people who like you and don't try to change who you are, aim to be tour best self but don't sacrifice substance in order to fit in, remember that most people criticize more than compliment and take that into consideration when dealing with feedback.

  2. #32
    Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne
    Posts
    5,634

    Default

    Hard to do. Love love love. The unconditional kind. The kind, patient, forgiving kind. Just trying to get to know myself, understand myself a little more. Seeing the "whys" behind the parts of me I don't like , and trying to look at the answers objectively. Looking around at humanity and seeing the beauty that is imperfection complimenting imperfection. We fit together, fill in each other's cracks. If I hadn't cracks, I I'd be alone. But as it stands, I'm one with creation. Part of the puzzle that other pieces need just as I need them.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

  3. #33

    Default

    Has anyone gone from not liking yourself long-term to liking yourself long-term?

    Or have most people liked themselves(for the most part) as far as they can remember?

  4. #34
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Has anyone gone from not liking yourself long-term to liking yourself long-term?
    As you personally know, this is essentially asking how one has overcome chronic depression or other similar chronic mental health issues that skews one's perception of self. I have experienced episodic depression, for about 2 years, that was directly related to an life event (episode) - health of a family member and juggling grad school pressures and being socially isolated did not a positive mental health cocktail make.

    It was debilitating in that it definitely, and significantly, impacted my every-day functioning and responsibilities. I paid the price for it.

    I didn't get any "help" other than remove myself from that environment, eventually, and trudge through the stressors, and let time move me to another stage in my life. And it passed.

    But, my case is greatly different than yours. You have chronic depression or bipolar, you said?

    I wish I could say the simple answer, that getting help will help, but from what I'm reading, nothing has significantly worked yet. Antidepressants + CBT, rather than either alone? I'm guessing you're seeing a psychiatrist and a clin. psychologist?

    Or have most people liked themselves(for the most part) as far as they can remember?
    For the most part, I truly enjoy who I am, and look forward to playing around with all the potential I hold. You seem smart, kind, and like you have a lot to offer to the world - be it in mathematics, or any of your other talents (which I'm sure you have many).

    Have you thought about volunteerism? Do you like working with animals? Pick a population that holds value to you. Find volunteer work with that population. Maybe put aside thoughts of getting to like yourself, just for a bit. As an experiment. Because we can't force ourselves to like ourselves - the very act of forcing creates a distaste. Maybe, do something where who YOU are in the capacity of how you serve others is a happy thought? You will feel needed, like you're making an impact, and it could well be a social outlet too.

    Even if my life is not an adventure, I aim to make it so. It's terribly hard though, to practice this when the head-space isn't there. I think, therefore I am takes a very cruel turn for those dealing with mental health issues. The mind can be a cruel master.

    Be thirsty, be hungry, be curious.

    If you think about "ending" it, that's it. The curiosity is dead. You will never find out what MIGHT HAVE been around the bend. Good, bad, or whatever. It's the potential, however weak, however dim, that gives hope.

    Just, stay curious.

  5. #35
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    Zoloft I've heard is fantastic.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  6. #36
    Senior Member SensEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    That is all that stands in my way on the issue. That you should unconditionally love/respect yourself seems, as far as I know, to be a fact accepted unquestioningly. It's hard to get a reason why out of anyone. What if you have behaved in ways that would prompt you to write off any other human being?
    It seems a basic tenant of human nature to like oneself. I don't see how I can be happy if I don't like myself and it's my job to make myself happy, not anybody else's (this is not to imply relationships with other people don't contribute to one's happiness).

    I can't fathom your behavior question. I simply won't behave in a fundamental way I don't respect. I suppose if I ever did under circumstances of extreme duress I may lose respect for myself, but then I would go about making amends/getting back to normal once I could address whatever circusmstances caused the behavior in the first place.

    I think it's hard to change your true nature, but if you clealy don't respect a certain behavior, even if you behaved that way a time or two, it should be easy to stop this behavior. Otherwise I would question whether you truly believe said behavior is so dispicable.

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Has anyone gone from not liking yourself long-term to liking yourself long-term?

    Or have most people liked themselves(for the most part) as far as they can remember?
    The latter. What young child doesn't like his/herself? A more pertinent question might be what caused a person to lose their self respect in the first place.

  7. #37
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    How do you learn to like yourself?

    Thoughts?

    Practical advice?
    I'm not sure if liking oneself is as important as liking ones accomplishments. If you've achieved something of value to you, then confidence follows, even if that confidence isn't ego-based.

    Then again, it always helps to know that you don't have the genetic predisposition of a cold hearted killer.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qrious View Post
    For the most part, I truly enjoy who I am, and look forward to playing around with all the potential I hold. You seem smart, kind, and like you have a lot to offer to the world - be it in mathematics, or any of your other talents (which I'm sure you have many).

    Have you thought about volunteerism? Do you like working with animals? Pick a population that holds value to you. Find volunteer work with that population. Maybe put aside thoughts of getting to like yourself, just for a bit. As an experiment. Because we can't force ourselves to like ourselves - the very act of forcing creates a distaste. Maybe, do something where who YOU are in the capacity of how you serve others is a happy thought? You will feel needed, like you're making an impact, and it could well be a social outlet too.

    Even if my life is not an adventure, I aim to make it so. It's terribly hard though, to practice this when the head-space isn't there. I think, therefore I am takes a very cruel turn for those dealing with mental health issues. The mind can be a cruel master.

    Be thirsty, be hungry, be curious.

    If you think about "ending" it, that's it. The curiosity is dead. You will never find out what MIGHT HAVE been around the bend. Good, bad, or whatever. It's the potential, however weak, however dim, that gives hope.

    Just, stay curious.
    Thank you for the vote of confidence.

    I do volunteer--usually in a tutoring capacity. I am currently also a cyber-buddy for a HS student interested in engineering. I donate regularly to Save the Children. It has been a little while since I've been to the food-bank. I may do that this Thanksgiving.

    I do socialize fairly often outside of work. I am learning how to dance various types of dances. What I do to get paid is also inherently social. I am in the process of starting a business as well, which is a social endeavor too.

    My diet is not that great, and I only exercise about 2 to 3 times a week.

    I do try to stay curious. I believe I am immensely curious about a lot of things.

    However, this aspect of not liking myself seems pretty central to a lot of things I want to do, because that feeling does not go away even in my higher energy states. I don't hate myself. But neither do I like myself.

    It's funny you say I cannot force myself to like myself; that rings true to me. But most advice about gaining confidence and learning social skills start with that as step 1).

    The advice usually goes further to "love yourself". But "love" is a gaudy word and often difficult to know what is meant by it.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  9. #39
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    2,319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    How do you learn to like yourself?

    Thoughts?

    Practical advice?
    Stop thinking about yourself
    do stuff.

  10. #40
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    Stop thinking about yourself
    do stuff.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Similar Threads

  1. [ISFJ] How to tell if an ISFJ likes you
    By DJAchtundvierzig in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
  2. [INTP] How to get this INTP to like me?
    By goodgrief in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-25-2010, 09:20 PM
  3. [SP] Teach me how to be like Lone Wolf McQuade
    By wolfy in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 08:47 AM
  4. How to know if a ENFP 4 likes you?
    By KiwiBurst in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO