• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Purpose Of Life

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some people say that life just is, and that the individual person gives it purpose.

However, if life HAS a purpose, a UNIVERSAL purpose, what could it be?

I

Infinite Bubble

There would be a universal purpose if 'purpose' was universal.

Otherwise, such a thing would be of such conceptual complexity as to be incomprehensible to us.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There would be a universal purpose if 'purpose' was universal.

Otherwise, such a thing would be of such conceptual complexity as to be incomprehensible to us.

Why not something simple like "to create more life."

W

WALMART

Wake up, take a shit, go to work, come home, pay bills, sleep. Eat and drink liberally.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The purpose of life is to propagate life.

We are here to save the world. You essentially have two ways of doing this. 1) reproduce 2) spread some epic humanity-saving and propagating memes.

Then what role does evolution play in this?

Mole

Permabanned
Some people say that life just is, and that the individual person gives it purpose.

However, if life HAS a purpose, a UNIVERSAL purpose, what could it be?

There are two ideas about life.

The first is teleological meaning that life has a purpose.

The second is that life is the eternal return meaning that everything is happening over and over again.

So the first is that life has a direction, and the second is that life is circular.

So the Abrahamic religions are teleological, that is, they have a beginning and a final end. And the Hindu religion says life is circular, going round and round and round again.

So religions of the Book are teleological just like books themselves with a beginning, a middle and an end.

And spoken religions are aural where everything happens at once.

So literate societies are teleological while the electronic society we are entering is the eternal return.

Of course we are blinded to what is happening around us, and keep asking, like mad newts, what is the purpose?

But of course the circular view of life has no purpose. Purpose is irrelevant to the eternal return. The circular life has its own values, which we will discover as we go round once again.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nobody told me in Vent not to post this.

Glycerine: nothing wrong with that
RaptorWizard: theres something wrong with pretty much everything, but thats good and bad. bad because the world sucks, but good because theres also positive challenges
Glycerine: i say whatever to most of it!
RaptorWizard: if only we had cheat codes...
Risen: dont cheat on life
RaptorWizard: ya, i dont let it bother me too much, but i also dont want it to stay
'Maddy' has left the chat.
Risen: that bitch will cut your dick off
Glycerine: thanks for the imagery
Glycerine: :p
Risen: ur welcome :p
Risen: has anyone here seen enders game?
Risen: im thinking of going tonight
RaptorWizard: i read the book 5 years ago
Glycerine: I don't want to live a shallow life but I don't want to think too hard and be miserable either.
Glycerine: i havent seen the movie
RaptorWizard: yes, well i seek to take big cosmic dragons and the mind of god
Risen: i just
Risen: wanna find peace
RaptorWizard: i wont succeed in this life, but i can lay foundations for untold world chaos
RaptorWizard: fuck god and his accursed natural order of madness
Risen: who says u wont succeed?
Risen: only u can decide that
Glycerine: thats amazing in its simplicity, risen i like it
RaptorWizard: i said not in the life...
RaptorWizard: future lives though it may be
Risen: weird
RaptorWizard: yoda likes peace
Risen: lost myself in darkness
Risen: and thats where ill find myself
Glycerine: i just want to succeed in my endeavors ad be relatively happy. I am somewhat smart but don't feel bothered to prove myself to others
RaptorWizard: i need to prove it to myself more than anyone, but anyone makes it better because its shared. but i guess it starts with self-belief
Glycerine: type c taught me that awhile back
Risen: what am I fighting for?
RaptorWizard: liberation maybe?
RaptorWizard: break your chains and rise
Risen: and then what
RaptorWizard: build and explore i guess, but were too limited to clearly know what, good question
Glycerine: I figure why waste a whole bunch of mental energy on others when I can i do some soul-searching and use the mental energy for whatever pat i choose
Glycerine: *path
Risen: when you rise to the top, who will be there to greet you?
Risen: or will there be anyone?
RaptorWizard: its good to have many paths i think for everyone, as long as they dont hurt others paths
RaptorWizard: why is the top the end though
Glycerine: risen, was that for me?
Risen: it was general
Risen: perhaps rhetorical
Glycerine: ahhh
RaptorWizard: its always better to win on the road
Risen: ill keep fighting unto the ends of the earth
Risen: because the world ends with you
'Risen' has left the chat.
RaptorWizard: can i post this vent convo people in the purpose of life thread by Mal+?
RaptorWizard: no objections? okay then!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nobody told me in Vent not to post this.

Glycerine: nothing wrong with that
RaptorWizard: theres something wrong with pretty much everything, but thats good and bad. bad because the world sucks, but good because theres also positive challenges
Glycerine: i say whatever to most of it!
RaptorWizard: if only we had cheat codes...
Risen: dont cheat on life
RaptorWizard: ya, i dont let it bother me too much, but i also dont want it to stay
'Maddy' has left the chat.
Risen: that bitch will cut your dick off
Glycerine: thanks for the imagery
Glycerine: :p
Risen: ur welcome :p
Risen: has anyone here seen enders game?
Risen: im thinking of going tonight
RaptorWizard: i read the book 5 years ago
Glycerine: I don't want to live a shallow life but I don't want to think too hard and be miserable either.
Glycerine: i havent seen the movie
RaptorWizard: yes, well i seek to take big cosmic dragons and the mind of god
Risen: i just
Risen: wanna find peace
RaptorWizard: i wont succeed in this life, but i can lay foundations for untold world chaos
RaptorWizard: fuck god and his accursed natural order of madness
Risen: who says u wont succeed?
Risen: only u can decide that
Glycerine: thats amazing in its simplicity, risen i like it
RaptorWizard: i said not in the life...
RaptorWizard: future lives though it may be
Risen: weird
RaptorWizard: yoda likes peace
Risen: lost myself in darkness
Risen: and thats where ill find myself
Glycerine: i just want to succeed in my endeavors ad be relatively happy. I am somewhat smart but don't feel bothered to prove myself to others
RaptorWizard: i need to prove it to myself more than anyone, but anyone makes it better because its shared. but i guess it starts with self-belief
Glycerine: type c taught me that awhile back
Risen: what am I fighting for?
RaptorWizard: liberation maybe?
RaptorWizard: break your chains and rise
Risen: and then what
RaptorWizard: build and explore i guess, but were too limited to clearly know what, good question
Glycerine: I figure why waste a whole bunch of mental energy on others when I can i do some soul-searching and use the mental energy for whatever pat i choose
Glycerine: *path
Risen: when you rise to the top, who will be there to greet you?
Risen: or will there be anyone?
RaptorWizard: its good to have many paths i think for everyone, as long as they dont hurt others paths
RaptorWizard: why is the top the end though
Glycerine: risen, was that for me?
Risen: it was general
Risen: perhaps rhetorical
Glycerine: ahhh
RaptorWizard: its always better to win on the road
Risen: ill keep fighting unto the ends of the earth
Risen: because the world ends with you
'Risen' has left the chat.
RaptorWizard: can i post this vent convo people in the purpose of life thread by Mal+?
RaptorWizard: no objections? okay then!

Why do you post reasons not to do Vent?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why do you post reasons not to do Vent?

If people in a vent convo don't want something posted from the discussion, then the mods won't allow it. I was met with no resistence however, so post I did.

And hey, here's another great life goal - there's nothing that we can't do!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If people in a vent convo don't want something posted from the discussion, then the mods won't allow it. I was met with no resistence however, so post I did.

And hey, here's another great life goal - there's nothing that we can't do!

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that it makes Vent look like an undesirable place to go.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My purpose of life is personal. As should everyone elses, ideally. But I fear it is not yet time for humanity to live entirely for their own personal need.

Note that while this view is quite egotistical in nature, it does not have to be selfish at all. One can (and should) help others and gain a great deal of personal worth through it. Just make sure that personal worth is always center and avoid giving your life to causes that may damage said personal worth.