User Tag List

First 345

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Why does Natural Selection say that? Is it conscious?
    A conscious person who understands the fact of Natural Selection will see that DNA has no purpose.

Of course we talk about evolution as though it had the purpose of selecting us, but this is anthropromorphizing.

And as far as we know the only creatures with a purpose are conscious creatures. We are not only conscious but we are also inter-subjective so we endow families, tribes, religions, institutions and nations, with pupose.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    A conscious person who understands the fact of Natural Selection will see that DNA has no purpose.

Of course we talk about evolution as though it had the purpose of selecting us, but this is anthropromorphizing.

And as far as we know the only creatures with a purpose are conscious creatures. We are not only conscious but we are also inter-subjective so we endow families, tribes, religions, institutions and nations, with pupose.
    The limits of knowledge (the "as far as we know's") don't stop any particular person from endowing the unconscious part of nature with purpose. And anyway, what would be wrong with that?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

WhoCares

However, if life HAS a purpose, a UNIVERSAL purpose, what could it be?
    Universal as in a principle that applies equally to all sentient life in the universe. Or universal as in an infinitely large design in which every individual sentient being has a unique part?

I tend to think the former myself. I think we all exist under the premise that we are here to live out the fullest extent of our existence and there is no greater purpose than that. When all sentient life strives for and achieves the highest evolution possible within that lifetime then the symbiosis of all sentient life creates a random and chaotic cascade that continues on for eternity. Just like breathing, we are born, we do whatever, we die. The next lot are born, do and die. In a perpetual cycle of breathing. As different beings collide on their individual trajectory random and intricate events occur that affect the next round of beings to be birthed, live and die. The universe then evolves as a result.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

From my local church last week. I really thought this was inspiring. She is the daughter of the pastor that founded the church. Even if you don't believe in God or are a Buddist or something, I think it is really good.

http://media.willowcreek.org/weekend/satisfied/#content

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

The limits of knowledge (the "as far as we know's") don't stop any particular person from endowing the unconscious part of nature with purpose. And anyway, what would be wrong with that?
    Sure, you can project purpose into a mountain.

And indeed, philosphers have been asking for centuries, "What is the purpose of Mont Blanc?".

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    all sentient life strives for and achieves the highest evolution possible within that lifetime
    Natural Selection doesn't occur within a lifetime.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I agree. The interesting question though, is where this drive comes from.
    The drive to exist.

I've said before than striving is what life does best...all things strive...what to be I don't know. But then again that's just one narrow perspective.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Natural Selection doesn't occur within a lifetime.
    I didn't say anything about natural selection. Evolution - as in the greatest amount of progress possible for that lifetime. I am not talking about anything to do with Darwin's theories.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

To do that which is required to make to the next stage. I try to follow the below saying from Solomon.

Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil."

Anything else falls out of the realm of universal (my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    I didn't say anything about natural selection. Evolution - as in the greatest amount of progress possible for that lifetime. I am not talking about anything to do with Darwin's theories.
    You mean you are talking about evolution but you are not talking about, "The Origin of Species", by Charles Darwin?

If that is the case, then I don't know who you are trying to fool: me or yourself.