User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I'm not saying that. I'm saying that it makes Vent look like an undesirable place to go.
    Like here you mean?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My purpose of life is personal. As should everyone elses, ideally. But I fear it is not yet time for humanity to live entirely for their own personal need.

Note that while this view is quite egotistical in nature, it does not have to be selfish at all. One can (and should) help others and gain a great deal of personal worth through it. Just make sure that personal worth is always center and avoid giving your life to causes that may damage said personal worth.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Like here you mean?
    And so it was!
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    And so it was!

I'm getting better at it.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

"We are here to fart around. Don't let anyone tell you any different." -K. Vonnegut
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Some people say that life just is, and that the individual person gives it purpose.

However, if life HAS a purpose, a UNIVERSAL purpose, what could it be?
    The Prime Directive = propagate. Our modern brains are all still subject to the same stone age drives & instincts that got us here in the first place. Whether or not we "choose", I use the term advisedly, to act on them or not is another matter.

“Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    The Prime Directive = propagate. Our modern brains are all still subject to the same stone age drives & instincts that got us here in the first place. Whether or not we "choose", I use the term advisedly, to act on them or not is another matter.

“Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Propogate to what end?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Propogate to what end?
    On a universal level, the species. It's on the individual level that things get interesting.

In a hundred years it's very likely that any vestiges of who/what Mal12345 "was" will be gone, in a practical sense. I sure don't remember my great-grandparents, who they were, what paths they had walked & experiences they'd enjoyed/endured, their essence. My grandparents are also gone now as well as my parents. My generation is next

I liken much of this line of thinking to a sort of "death anxiety". If I am correct and you are able to overcome it, you will find liberation and a sense of calmness.

Have you watched the movie "V for Vendetta"? There was a great scene in the movie where NP (Natalie Portman) had just learned that her imprisonment and torture had all been a ruse by V to get her to break and talk to the "authorities". She didn't break though and was ready to face death head on, she had accepted her impending execution and found that she no longer feared it... That was her "gift" to her, helping her to lose her self admitted fearfulness.

"You said you wanted to live without fear. I wish there'd been an easier way..."
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

I don't know if I'm up to torturing you and leading you to believe that you are about to be executed though. Maybe if I knew you better and was "invested".

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    The Prime Directive = propagate.
    I agree. The interesting question though, is where this drive comes from.