• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Jesus Really Looked Like

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the first century someone like Jesus would be five foot two inches tall, with five diseases and rotten teeth. And like Jesus they would not say a word against institutional slavery although they were surrounded by it.

So from the perspective of the 21st century Jesus would be personally unprepossessing and so profoundly morally corrupt as to support institutional slavery.

Would he be better if he was a studmuffin?

Mole

Permabanned
We don't have a drawing of Jesus, and we have nothing of what he wrote, it's almost as though he didn't exist.

And if he didn't exist, we would have to invent him. And we did.

S

Society

We don't have a drawing of Jesus, and we have nothing of what he wrote, it's almost as though he didn't exist.

And if he didn't exist, we would have to invent him. And we did.

you might actually be right - i know a student of archeology whose professor specializes in studying the roman records during their occupation of israel, and 2 things are readily appearent:

1. the romans have left extensive records of every trial and execution.
2. not a single name on record fits any of the names attributed to jesus.

last i heard he was writing a book about his research (this was quite a few years ago - maybe it came out?).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you might actually be right - i know a student of archeology whose professor specializes in studying the roman records during their occupation of israel, and 2 things are readily appearent:

last i heard he was writing a book about his research (this was quite a few years ago - maybe it came out?).

Wasn't Jesus (or however it would have been pronounced) a common name though? I would expect there to be like 50 Jesuses.

Maybe he was Mexican.

S

Society

Wasn't Yeshua (that is what it was, right?) a common name though? I would expect there to be like 50 Jesuses.

it still is (the guy from the falafel place on the way from my college - his work certainly is divine btw...), and your right - the absence is surprising. there could have being other filters as well that i don't know about - such as method of execution or town of origin.

Mole

Permabanned

Gosh yes, and in the same vein, Israeli archeologists have found there were no Jews in Egygyt at the time of the Exodus, and that the Exodus never occured.

And the Exodus is a founding myth of Judaism as Jesus is the founding myth of Christianity.

What next?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Gosh yes, and in the same vein, Israeli archeologists have found there were no Jews in Egygyt at the time of the Exodus, and that the Exodus never occured.

And the Exodus is a founding myth of Judaism as Jesus is the founding myth of Christianity.

Yup. Nice try, though.

S

Society

What next?

yes - technically there was a rebellion in egypt during that time (fueled by a conflict between the egyption priesthood and pharaoh), but all evidence point that it wasn't slaves but egyption farmers enlisted to work on the pyramids during the Nile's flooding periods. the remains of the workers housing are open, large by ancient egyptions standards, and show no sign of enforcement. there is no evidence to support a mass exodus, and more importantly - geological evidence suggest that the red sea consisted of marshland at the time, indicating that the story of the egyption exedus has formalized much after it would have "happened".

G

Ginkgo

First they liked Jesus so much they followed him around and wanted to kiss him.

But then he got so annoying they wanted to crucify him.

So he probably looked like him.

I do quite like the idea of a morbidly obese Jesus tilting a crucifix over until it slumps against the ground.

G

Ginkgo

Wasn't Jesus (or however it would have been pronounced) a common name though? I would expect there to be like 50 Jesuses.
The Romanized version of "Jesus" is Yeshua. This name appears 30 times in the Old Testament, to give you some perspective. It was common in first-century Galilee.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Maybe he was Mexican.

I learned from some history show on TV that the name was actually UNcommon. But I don't remember where I saw this.

I'm talking about the name Iesous, not the name Jesus. The name Jesus didn't exist at all at that time, especially as the letter J didn't even exist yet.