First 3456 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    In the first century someone like Jesus would be five foot two inches tall, with five diseases and rotten teeth. And like Jesus they would not say a word against institutional slavery although they were surrounded by it.

So from the perspective of the 21st century Jesus would be personally unprepossessing and so profoundly morally corrupt as to support institutional slavery.
    Would he be better if he was a studmuffin?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

We don't have a drawing of Jesus, and we have nothing of what he wrote, it's almost as though he didn't exist.

And if he didn't exist, we would have to invent him. And we did.

Society

We don't have a drawing of Jesus, and we have nothing of what he wrote, it's almost as though he didn't exist.

And if he didn't exist, we would have to invent him. And we did.
    you might actually be right - i know a student of archeology whose professor specializes in studying the roman records during their occupation of israel, and 2 things are readily appearent:

1. the romans have left extensive records of every trial and execution.
    2. not a single name on record fits any of the names attributed to jesus.

last i heard he was writing a book about his research (this was quite a few years ago - maybe it came out?).

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    you might actually be right - i know a student of archeology whose professor specializes in studying the roman records during their occupation of israel, and 2 things are readily appearent:

last i heard he was writing a book about his research (this was quite a few years ago - maybe it came out?).
    Wasn't Jesus (or however it would have been pronounced) a common name though? I would expect there to be like 50 Jesuses.

Maybe he was Mexican.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Society

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Wasn't Yeshua (that is what it was, right?) a common name though? I would expect there to be like 50 Jesuses.
    it still is (the guy from the falafel place on the way from my college - his work certainly is divine btw...), and your right - the absence is surprising. there could have being other filters as well that i don't know about - such as method of execution or town of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post

Gosh yes, and in the same vein, Israeli archeologists have found there were no Jews in Egygyt at the time of the Exodus, and that the Exodus never occured.

And the Exodus is a founding myth of Judaism as Jesus is the founding myth of Christianity.

What next?

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Gosh yes, and in the same vein, Israeli archeologists have found there were no Jews in Egygyt at the time of the Exodus, and that the Exodus never occured.

And the Exodus is a founding myth of Judaism as Jesus is the founding myth of Christianity.
    Yup. Nice try, though.

Visit my Johari:

Society

What next?
    yes - technically there was a rebellion in egypt during that time (fueled by a conflict between the egyption priesthood and pharaoh), but all evidence point that it wasn't slaves but egyption farmers enlisted to work on the pyramids during the Nile's flooding periods. the remains of the workers housing are open, large by ancient egyptions standards, and show no sign of enforcement. there is no evidence to support a mass exodus, and more importantly - geological evidence suggest that the red sea consisted of marshland at the time, indicating that the story of the egyption exedus has formalized much after it would have "happened".

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    First they liked Jesus so much they followed him around and wanted to kiss him.

But then he got so annoying they wanted to crucify him.

So he probably looked like him.
    I do quite like the idea of a morbidly obese Jesus tilting a crucifix over until it slumps against the ground.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Wasn't Jesus (or however it would have been pronounced) a common name though? I would expect there to be like 50 Jesuses.
    The Romanized version of "Jesus" is Yeshua. This name appears 30 times in the Old Testament, to give you some perspective. It was common in first-century Galilee.