User Tag List

12311 Last

High Culture and Popular Culture

As you have been reading the latest journal of, Science, you have probably come across a study conducted by social psychologists at the New School for Social Research in New York City.

The study found that high culture increased empathy, social perception, and emotional intelligence, while popular culture failed on all counts.

And mbti is popular culture which fails to foster empathy, social perception, and emotional intelligence.

And yet so many here give personal testimony (in the Protestant tradition) that mbti fosters empathy, social perception and emotional intelligence.

So perhaps we are plagued by group think and confirmation bias.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

There are many cultures, both high and low, that reflect the qualities that the other swears by, but hardly displays. In short, the culture is only as good as its poster-children and those who toe the pious line that is outlined for them.
    I N V I C T U S

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    There are many cultures, both high and low, that reflect the qualities that the other swears by, but hardly displays. In short, the culture is only as good as its poster-children and those who toe the pious line that is outlined for them.
    Nah.

Popular culture is impoverished, while high culture is enriching.

Popular culture relies on technique, while high culture is existential.

Popular culture relies on one point of view, while high culture gives us many points of view.

Popular culture is directed at the lowest common denominator, while high culture is for the cultivated.

Popular culture is for money, while high culture is for the human spirit.

Popular culture is manipulative and exploitative, while high culture appeals to the best in us.

High culture lasts while popular culture has a use-by date.

So make a date with high culture today, and tell them Mole sent you.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What's 'high culture' anyway?
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    What's 'high culture' anyway?
    It is extraordinary that popular culture has such sway that we are ignorant of even the existence of high culture.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It is extraordinary that popular culture has such sway that we are ignorant of even the existence of high culture.
    Yep. What are some examples or high culture? Google isn't helping me much with this.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Yep. What are some examples or high culture? Google isn't helping me much with this.
    Let's take just one field: literature. I am sure you can think of a book that is high culture and a book that is popular culture.

So why do you ask a question you know the answer to? The answer is: it is a rhetorical question, feigning ignorance to make a point.

Or worse, it is a dog whistle to those who loathe high culture.

Or perhaps it is a kind of inverse snobbery.

Or even a reaction formation to feelings of inferiority.

Who knows?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Let's take just one field: literature. I am sure you can think of a book that is high culture and a book that is popular culture.

So why do you ask a question you know the answer to? The answer is: it is a rhetorical question, feigning ignorance to make a point.

Or worse, it is a dog whistle to those who loathe high culture.

Or perhaps it is a kind of inverse snobbery.

Or even a reaction formation to feelings of inferiority.

Who knows?
    I don't know. I'm not terribly educated. I have a two year degree in general studies from a rural community college. So basically, all high culture means to me is that it's old. But surely not everything that is old is high culture? So that is why I asked. I looked and couldn't find anything specific.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

But popular culture is much more immediately useful and fun!(and I don't mean the crap on tv, I mean all the good things that you can learn from agricultural and blue collar workers and how it's so much fun to hang out with them)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What I'm questioning is why we place higher value on some forms of culture while dismissing others as inferior. I understand where you're coming from, because sometimes I feel the same way, but isn't that a kind of an elitist attitude? Everyone's experience is different. If people prefer sweet sparkly wine rather than the more mature and delicate good wines, is it fair to judge them? If they identify more with Beyonce's music rather than Mozart's, is it fair to judge them? Culture is culture; art is art. I like to believe there is no high or low, because the effect of art is entirely individual.
    4w5 sp/sx EII