User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 137

  1. #31
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    ^^^ Same goes for your Ti compadre above (wrt the OP, in his case).

    Seems, once again, like an outbreak of the Ti reet disease.

    How you all are so bad at logic, when that's what y'all are supposed to be good at is always a bit astounding.

    How @superunknown somehow thinks Ni doms are the one's with sloppy thinking, when Ti users make these kinds of statements, well...

  2. #32
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,037

    Default

    I don't need to read Pride and Prejudice, either, because, thanks to the implosion of the Gutenberg Galaxy, I can just watch it with Kiera Knightley on TV! I don't care about the dresses, really, but she's very hot, even in a cool medium.

    And it's a fair question, @Zarathustra. If high culture makes you empathetic, why didn't Hitler's love of high culture stop him from committing genocide? You didn't explain how I'm incorrect, you merely stated that this was so.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  3. #33
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    And it's a fair question, @Zarathustra. If high culture makes you empathetic, why didn't Hitler's love of high culture stop him from committing genocide? You didn't explain how I'm incorrect, you merely stated that this was so.
    I didn't because I already know that answer, just as I said (and eventually demonstrated) to you the last time you tried this.

    Your position is so easily dispatched, it's not even interesting enough to argue.

    My only question is how you could actually possibly think it's a worthwhile thing to bring up.

    I'd already thought of it many posts ago, and realized why it wasn't worth mentioning -- try to do the same yourself.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Forever_Jung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    Hey guys! I'm just stepping in with the background facts, that might help give you something concrete to discuss. Mole is referencing this study, which has been making the rounds on various news websites:

    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...-chekhov/?_r=0

    Basically the study shows that people who were assigned readings of literary fiction (like Chekhov and Alice Munro) performed better on tests that measure empathy, social skills, etc. Bestseller fiction like Gone Girl and Danielle Steel novels didn't help.

    I guess Mole decided to include all of high culture, rather than limiting himself to literature, so he could come in and criticize MBTI. Which is fine, but the study doesn't say anything about classical music/art/other high culture.

    If you look at the study carefully, it doesn't prove that popular literature never stimulates empathy, it's just that a lot of pop fiction is plot focused, not character focused. You don't get much of a chance to get inside the head space of complex characters. I'm sure there are popular and fun reads that give people practice empathizing, it's just more common in "high culture" books.

    I imagine the reason they didn't explore the benefits of popular lit. is because they are trying to combat all the budget cuts to cultural programs with studies that demonstrate the practical benefits of the arts. So obviously they're going to frame their research in a way that serves that purpose.

    As for the Hitler arguments, just don't bother.

  5. #35
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Hey guys! I'm just stepping in with the background facts, that might help give you guys something concrete to discuss. Mole is referencing this study, which has been making the rounds on various news websites:

    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...-chekhov/?_r=0

    Basically the study shows that people who were assigned readings of literary fiction (like Chekhov and Alice Munro) performed better on tests that measure empathy, social skills, etc. Bestseller fiction like Gone Girl and Danielle Steel novels didn't help.

    I guess Mole decided to include all of high culture, rather than limiting himself to literature, so he could come in and criticize MBTI. Which is fine, but the study doesn't say anything about classical music/art/other high culture.

    If you look at the study carefully, it doesn't prove that popular literature never stimulates empathy, it's just that a lot of pop fiction is plot focused, not character focused. You don't get much of a chance to get inside the characters' head space. I'm sure there are popular and fun reads that give people practice empathizing, it's just more common in "high culture" books.

    I imagine the reason they didn't explore the benefits of popular lit. is because they are trying to combat all the budget cuts to cultural programs with studies that demonstrate the practical benefits of the arts. So obviously they're going to frame their research in a way that serves that purpose.

    As for the Hitler arguments, just don't bother guys.
    Thank you, FJ.

    An excellent post, per usual.

  6. #36
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I didn't because I already know that answer, just as I said (and eventually demonstrated) to you the last time you tried this.

    Your position is so easily dispatched, it's not even interesting enough to argue.

    My only question is how you could actually possibly think it's a worthwhile thing to bring up.

    I'd already thought of it many posts ago, and realized why it wasn't worth mentioning -- try to do the same yourself.
    Ok, so you zoned out just because I mentioned Hitler. Gotcha.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  7. #37
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Per usual, @Pseudo, you seem unable to engage with what I'm actually saying, preferring instead to argue with some phantom person of your own creation who has absolutely no connection to what I am saying.
    I just took you off block today. And back on you go.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Ok, so you zoned out just because I mentioned Hitler. Gotcha.
    He's in an accusatory, arrogant and inarticulate mood. Per usual.

  9. #39
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I guess Mole decided to include all of high culture, rather than limiting himself to literature, so he could come in and criticize MBTI. Which is fine, but the study doesn't say anything about classical music/art/other high culture.
    Yes... I actually can see how literature, especially stuff that's more character-focused and less plot-focused, would help with empathy/social skills. To some extent, I've benefited from it. Film could potentially do the same thing, or TV. I think the important thing is that these are all narrative.

    I'm not convinced that visual arts or classical music (seeing as how it is either without words or in a language most peole don't understand) would help. Certainly, it is capable of stirring things emotionally. But what could it possibly teach you about interacting with someone else? How does a Hudson River School painting (look it up), for instance, teach someone social skills or empathy? Maybe it teaches them about appreciating nature, though.



    As for the Hitler arguments, just don't bother.
    It's a valid point and should be accounted for. If I found some other dictator, would that help?

    Why is it "relevant" that the guy who shot up The Dark Knight Rises was studying neuroscience, but not "relevant" that Hitler liked painting and classical music? Or, to bring a more recent less interent meme-worthy example, why is it not "relevant" that the perpetrator of the Virginia Tech shootings was an English major?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

  10. #40
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Ok, so you zoned out just because I mentioned Hitler. Gotcha.
    No.

    Your argument was just dumb.

    That you can't figure out why is your own problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I just took you off block today. And back on you go.
    And there go the two shits I couldn't give.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    He's in an accusatory, arrogant and inarticulate mood. Per usual.
    No.

    Some people just aren't worth the breath.

    Ti reets especially.

Similar Threads

  1. Fe and Popularity
    By proteanmix in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 04-10-2017, 07:30 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 06:37 PM
  3. High Culture
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2008, 02:37 AM
  4. High T and emotions of other people.
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 08:12 PM
  5. ExFP with high N and S, possible?
    By Clownmaster in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO