• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best type for Metaphysics and Cosmology

What type makes the best metaphysicist/cosmologist?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP

• ENTJ

• ENFJ

• ISTP

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESTP

• ESFP

• ESTJ

• ESFJ

• Total voters

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A person who studies metaphysics is called a metaphysicist or a metaphysician. The metaphysician attempts to clarify the fundamental notions by which people understand the world, e.g., existence, objects and their properties, space and time, cause and effect, and possibility. A central branch of metaphysics is ontology, the investigation into the basic categories of being and how they relate to each other. Another central branch of metaphysics is cosmology, the study of the origin (if it had one), fundamental structure, nature, and dynamics of the universe.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJ of course. ;)

2) INTJ
3) INTP
4) XNFP
5) ISXP

W

WALMART

Metaphysics - Ni

Cosmology - Ti

I don't really think they are similar. Cosmology is physics.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Metaphysics - Ni

Cosmology - Ti

I don't really think they are similar. Cosmology is physics.
I would definitely switch those 2. In my studies of metaphysics in college, it's been much more Ti based. Cosmology is more holistic and pattern directed. --> Ni.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Although it must be said that academic metaphysics and "popular" metaphysics of the New Age variety are quite different. Mysticism which falls under the broad category of metaphysics is much more Ni- but if we are talking about those schools of thought, cosmology is totally Fe/Fi with some support from a T function.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is the origin of the Universe? What is its first cause? Is its existence necessary? (see monism, pantheism, emanationism and creationism)
What are the ultimate material components of the Universe? (see mechanism, dynamism, hylomorphism, atomism)
What is the ultimate reason for the existence of the Universe? Does the cosmos have a purpose? (see teleology)
Does the existence of consciousness have a purpose? How do we know what we know about the totality of the cosmos? Does cosmological reasoning reveal metaphysical truths? (see epistemology)

I

Infinite Bubble

INTJ overall. Ni would be useful for both as a whole and "esoteric cosmology" (I am not fond of these sorts of labels tbh), and Te for physical cosmology.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION], I will be very happy if you study philosophy in college and then we can converse even further on these topics, possibly as professionals. You know a lot about some esoteric areas which I don't, and I have more academic experience. Combining the two perspectives I think would be awesome for the philosophical community.

I intend to combine Eastern and Western philosophical perspectives, along with what mysticism I believe. But philosophy might benefit from more mystical and esoteric approaches as well, the kind of stuff you are into. Plus I think you have an excellent mind for it.

Also, I think you might enjoy Hegel, Fichte, and Shopenhauer a lot. I haven't studied Spinoza yet, but I'm told I would like him. Have you read any of these, or many other philosophers?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION], I will be very happy if you study philosophy in college and then we can converse even further on these topics, possibly as professionals. You know a lot about some esoteric areas which I don't, and I have more academic experience. Combining the two perspectives I think would be awesome for the philosophical community.

Okay, well we could create a thread that we both share and put our ideas on.
If you're okay with that, I think you should start it, and I would be happy to participate.

I intend to combine Eastern and Western philosophical perspectives, along with what mysticism I believe. But philosophy might benefit from more mystical and esoteric approaches as well, the kind of stuff you are into. Plus I think you have an excellent mind for it.

Well, I seem to have the better grasp of the empirical/technical aspects of the mystical and esoteric, but you may also have more experience in other ways.

Let's get started with this project as soon as possible, for it will give great returns!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, well we could create a thread that we both share and put our ideas on.
If you're okay with that, I think you should start it, and I would be happy to participate.

Well, I seem to have the better grasp of the empirical/technical aspects of the mystical and esoteric, but you may also have more experience in other ways.

Let's get started with this project as soon as possible, for it will give great returns!
:)

Oh, I don't know that a joint thread would be in order at this time. You have your own things, and I have things I plan to write; I simply mean you should look into it as a college major. But we would probably make (part of) a good team, hypothetically, as I was discussing with [MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION].

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:)

Oh, I don't know that a joint thread would be in order at this time. You have your own things, and I have things I plan to write; I simply mean you should look into it as a college major. But we would probably make (part of) a good team, hypothetically, as I was discussing with [MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION].

Maybe then we can ask Ene for permission to use her spiritual laws thread whenever you want to put your team plan into action.

As for college, I have to get through my basic general studies first, and when that's done maybe a few years from now, I could major in metaphysics/cosmology/philosophy... but that's a long way off.

And that's why for now, the forum seems to be our best means for advancing this stuff.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I am unsure of which type would be best. Certainly Ni would be a plus. Both Ti and Te would/could prove highly beneficial in metaphysical and cosmological studies. I am currently working with an INTJ to refine a manuscript he has written on theology. It's very interesting and I think he is brilliant in his approach. However, he says that he is depending on me to make it presentable. He doesn't really care if the public agrees with him or not, only that they understand what he's saying. He wants the presentation of his knowledge to evoke changes in an established system. That's where I come in. My Ni connects with where he's coming from. I get it. My Fe/Ti combo makes sure that it is analyzed and presented in a way that the average person can understand. So, what I'm saying is that I think that the studies of either field is handled best by a combination of the two. What one doesn't think up, the other will.

I wouldn't consider INTPs and INFPs shabby either.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:shrug: If you want. At first I just thought the Ni + Te combo would be great, but it's not like we're speaking in absolutes.

I do think INTJ would be a good fit. There are a lot of INTJ philosophers. The only thing I've noticed is that INTJ's sometimes don't want to give comprehensive explanations for their ideas, like Ti would. The explanation is Ni based. INTP's on the other hand tend to just be all analysis and possibilities with no definite opinion.
[MENTION=16382]Ene[/MENTION], what is your assessment of the the way the INTJ you work with explains things?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Believe it or not, ontology is my speciality. I don't think most people understand what ontology is though -- at least not in analytic philosophy. We don't just sit around wondering about the nature of the soul, or if aliens created our consciousness etc.

Ontology seems to attract Ne users. Si-Ne sees the world as distinct objects, like different lego blocks. Se-Ni on the other hand sees the universe as one wave or continuum. When we ask ontological questions like whether or not numbers exist, the question tends to appeal more to the former.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I liked your comment on the whole, but I think you speak too much in absolutes.

"origin, "first cause" and even "existence" are metaphors that are based on our proximal reality. Origin is a spatial metaphor, as is first cause. Existence is based on container metaphors - a full versus empty container. These metaphors do not generalize to talking about reality. There is no ultimate reason for the existence of the universe, it always has and always will exist, that's just the way it is. There is substance. There is and has always been something and there never has been and never will be nothing.

Our universe may indeed be a self-contained system, but we haven't penetrated far enough to make conclusions about how or why it exists.

The utility of consciousness is that it helps us to use exergy to create low entropy configurations of matter, ultimately reducing exergy as fast as possible. That's it.

I like to think that consciousness allows us to contruct things mentally and perceive them, build things up to higher complexity and order.

Stuff just is. Consciousness is deeply rooted in meta, and meta is a natural property of fractals, and everything is fractal.

I agree that our minds do have a meta-perspective of sorts, goes beyond the constraints of physics, and has an inner essence separate from the external matrix. They may still act on each other however.

When you catch yourself thinking about reality in terms of object metaphors STOP. Banish those thoughts from your mind. It is not turtles all the way down, except that your mind is based on objects all the way down. But that does not reflect reality complete, it only reflects the level of analysis of reality that we evolved in.

True, we can only see what our biology has programmed us for, but we don't know how far the metaphysical powers of the mind can go.