User Tag List

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Mormons?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mormons have good values.

8 50.00%
  • Mormons have the truth.

2 12.50%
  • Mormons are Christian.

5 31.25%
  • Mormons have bad values.

3 18.75%
  • Mormons don't have the truth.

7 43.75%
  • Mormons aren't Christian.

6 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 2345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    To have their marriage "sealed."
    Ya, this whole together for eternity thing is a focus of theirs, but I'm also wondering about silly rituals like where they swear those crazy oaths, or where they summon the souls of the dead, and so forth.

Are you referring to the telestrial, terrestrial, and celestial kingdoms? For the same reason that people allegedly go to Hell versus Heaven.
    Yes, I was thinking of the kingdoms. I would like to think though that we're building the kingdom, not like it's some place for reward and punishment - more like it's the fruit of our achievements, mental and otherwise.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Ya, this whole together for eternity thing is a focus of theirs, but I'm also wondering about silly rituals like where they swear those crazy oaths, or where they summon the souls of the dead, and so forth.

Yes, I was thinking of the kingdoms. I would like to think though that we're building the kingdom, not like it's some place for reward and punishment - more like it's the fruit of our achievements, mental and otherwise.
    I see that I put "telestrial" instead of "telestial." I'll surely go to Mormon Hell for that.

I actually bought the book The City of the Saints: Among the Mormons and Across the Rocky Mountains to California for my Mormon friend, but I don't believe he ever read it. It's not even anti-Mormon. Burton respected all religions.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

My POV - a Christian offshoot, lots of rules and specifications. Too much complexity for my personal spiritual taste. As within any belief system, IMO, Mormonism possesses some truth, and individuals can be of any ethical good or bad variety.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Okay, that's cool we have someone with experience, knowledge, AND skepticism.

Let's start with this: what's the purpose of "going to the temple" (for Mormons)?

Also, why do some people "go to better kingdoms" than others?
    (doctrine)
    Well the church is simply a sunday meeting house. In contrast, the temple is considered to be the Lord's house. Temple attendance then is essentially about coming closer to God. You prepare yourself by living in a manner worthy of being in the Lord's presence.

Aside from that though, there are also certain holy ordinances performed exclusively in the temple (marriage for instance). These are considered the highest ordinances or covenants that one can perform and they are required in order to attain the highest kingdoms of heaven.

So exactly what determines who goes to what kingdom once requirements are met and all that is a matter of judgement, so it would be up to God really.

(opinion)
    That said I would simply boil it down to this: bad people - lowest kingdom, good non-mormons/shitty mormons who aren't quite bad people - middle kingdom, good mormons - top kingdom. The mormon religion is very legalistic though, so mostly it is about meeting requirements (baptism, confirmation, weekly sacrament participation, temple ordinances, and marriage).

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Has anyone driven by the Mormon temple in DC near Interstate 95? There used to be some graffiti that I thought was kind of funny. Somebody spraypainted "Surrender Dorothy" on an overpass, because it looks a little like the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz. Alas, it has since been covered up, but I think it could still be seen for at least part of the new millennium.

We used to pass by their all the time to visit my grandparents. I was fascinated as hell by that place the first time I saw it. It was night, and it really did look otherworldly. Even today, I'm still kind of curious about what it's like on the inside. I wonder if Mitt Romney goes there?

Mormonism seems weird, but all religions seem like that to me, as someone who wasn't really raised in one.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Has anyone driven by the Mormon temple in DC near Interstate 95? There used to be some graffiti that I thought was kind of funny. Somebody spraypainted "Surrender Dorothy" on an overpass, because it looks a little like the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz. Alas, it has since been covered up, but I think it could still be seen for at least part of the new millennium.

We used to pass by their all the time to visit my grandparents. I was fascinated as hell by that place the first time I saw it. It was night, and it really did look otherworldly. Even today, I'm still kind of curious about what it's like on the inside. I wonder if Mitt Romney goes there?

Mormonism seems weird, but all religions seem like that to me, as someone who wasn't really raised in one.

To me the situation with Mormonism and Christianity seems a little like the relationship between Islam and Christianity. Basically, they both hold the view that Jesus is a pretty important guy, but someone more important go along later. I don't know if Muslims or Mormons believe that Jesus is also God. I was never clear on that.

Adam's 'sin' was a blessing and not a curse.
    It was just as necessary for Adam to sin as it was for Jesus to be crucified.
    This makes sense to me, actually, as a non-believer. If God didn't want them to eat that fruit, he could have just blocked it off. Instead he left it unguarded. If he didn't do that on purpose, he's the equivalent of someone who leaves aspirin in a baby crib.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

@RaptorWizard

I watched the video. If you want to see how much I related to it, I go often receiving revelation slowly, hardly there was the big a-ha! moment but it's nice when it comes by. We can build our faith better if we receive our answers slowly than if we are just told everything. Hopefully I can read the forum more in depth soon. I'd really to start answering people's questions!

Maybe what we do may seem far fetched for others, but if you knew that was the truth, I think you'd give your all to support and embrace the truth and want others to join it too. Not saying I am ever perfect throwing my whole life for this work but I know that the Book of Mormon is true and Jesus Christ is my Savior and I know that Heavenly Father answers our prayer.

I think maybe one thing I think that people don't know much about Mormons is that value knowledge a lot. I find this personality MBTI thing fascinating and want to pursue biochemistry. Faith doesn't save us alone. It wouldn't make sense, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Kifflom, brother-brother.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    I'm always here, just say the word!

I watched the video. If you want to see how much I related to it, I go often receiving revelation slowly, hardly there was the big a-ha! moment but it's nice when it comes by. We can build our faith better if we receive our answers slowly than if we are just told everything. Hopefully I can read the forum more in depth soon. I'd really to start answering people's questions!
    I'm glad you watched the video and offered input.

Maybe what we do may seem far fetched for others, but if you knew that was the truth, I think you'd give your all to support and embrace the truth and want others to join it too. Not saying I am ever perfect throwing my whole life for this work but I know that the Book of Mormon is true and Jesus Christ is my Savior and I know that Heavenly Father answers our prayer.
    Well, it may very well all be true, and I acknowledge that as a real possibility.

One thing I wish to note is that even if the Mormon gospel and plan of salvation have truth, they're certainly not (IMO) all complete. Kind of like @skylights said, it may have part of the full picture, but just realize that you could probably integrate bits and pieces from other religions or world philosophies.

I think maybe one thing I think that people don't know much about Mormons is that value knowledge a lot. I find this personality MBTI thing fascinating and want to pursue biochemistry. Faith doesn't save us alone. It wouldn't make sense, at least to me.
    I guess pretty much my biggest question about MBTI (in regards to religion) is what God's type would be (if he has one).