User Tag List

View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on the Mormons?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mormons have good values.

8 50.00%
  • Mormons have the truth.

2 12.50%
  • Mormons are Christian.

5 31.25%
  • Mormons have bad values.

3 18.75%
  • Mormons don't have the truth.

7 43.75%
  • Mormons aren't Christian.

6 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What do Mormons believe, and what makes this distinction so important? It sounds like an argument over semantics.
    It's a difference between being polytheistic and monotheistic. It's also a matter of being consistent with the OT view of God which is plainly monotheistic.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What is your definition of Christian, then? I thought if someone believed in the divinity of Christ and accepted his teachings, that was enough.
    By a broader definition that you present they could be included, but there is a lot more that the majority of Christendom has in common, primarily because it uses the Bible as the primary reference source for constructing its theology whereas Mormonism uses first the Book of Mormon and references the Bible as a secondary source. When in conflict, it is the Book of Mormon that is seen as the more reliable, clear source of truth.

Joseph Smith was a Mason and also studied White Witchcraft, and he was also a science fiction writer from what I understand. A number of the temple rights and blessings are taken from these sources and the structure of the religion places humanity on the same level as God the Father and Christ and Satan (who are brothers), except that we are at an earlier stage in our development. God the Father was once a human on another planet (I think there are sources of early Joseph Smith writings that name it as "Koolag"). He lived up to his calling, married, and now has a planet of his own which is populated by the spirit children he has in Heaven with his wife. Humans procreate to make the vessels, and the spirits come down from Heaven, each one choosing which body they will inhabit. If an individual follows all the commands of the church, is married in the temple, then that union is set for all eternity and that Mormon man will one day be a god of his own planet populating it with the spirit children he has with his wife.

In Biblical Christianity there are numerous interpretations and theology, but God is seen as sovereign, omnipotent, omniscient, and humanity serves God. There is no eventual equality. That difference in the concept of God and man, along with the Bible vs. the Book of Mormon as the primary source of scripture is what creates a marked distinction.

If there are any Mormons on the board that can point out any inaccuracies in my understanding, please do. It isn't my purpose to insult or communicate anything incorrect. This is my understanding of the religion based on discussions with Mormons, but I encountered the ideas as an outsider which is different from understanding it as an insider.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

• Mormons have good values. – Some do some do not
    • Mormons have the truth. - No
    • Mormons are Christian. – The more deeply a Mormon becomes involved into the Mormon doctrine; they separate themselves from Christianity.
    • Mormons have bad values. – Some do some do not
    • Mormons don't have the truth. - Yes
    • Mormons aren't Christian. – It resembles Christianity to a great extent, that places many people on the peripheries still in the area of searching for Christ.

It’s a religion based on works and created in the same manner as the Muslim religion. Being based on works, it tends to attract those with higher educations. And in some ways they put Christians and other faiths to shame.
    I have no more care for them (as a religion not as people) as I would for any other religion, don’t bug (or cause harm to) me and I don’t bug (or won’t cause harm to) them.

MBTI
    INTP

Mainstream Mormons have good values overall, and seem generally inclined to live up to them, so broadly speaking I have a positive opinion of them. I've heard vague references about some kind of unfortunate 'mark of cain' type of stuff in their theology, but that seems to have been interpreted away as no longer spiritually relevant (i.e. rejected as a basis for racism, bigotry, or exclusion of contemporary people of color).

A friend of mine from Algeria asked me whether they were Christian*, and my reply was "They think they are, nobody else does"....I gave the Druze as an Islamic comparison, though perhaps the Ahmadis are a better example. You might even say Mormonism is to Christianity what Christianity is to Judaism, with a new holy book that for all practical purposes supersedes the old ones, and certain doctrinal differences to justify the inclusion of that new revelation.

Also, not an expert, I could be ass-wrong on any number of points for all mentioned religions.

*I think the topic came up because a couple of mutual friends were talking about being ex-Mormon neo-pagans.

MBTI
    INTP

Mainstream Mormons have good values overall, and seem generally inclined to live up to them, so broadly speaking I have a positive opinion of them. I've heard vague references about some kind of unfortunate 'mark of cain' type of stuff in their theology, but that seems to have been interpreted away as no longer spiritually relevant (i.e. rejected as a basis for racism, bigotry, or exclusion of contemporary people of color).

A friend of mine from Algeria asked me whether they were Christian*, and my reply was "They think they are, nobody else does"....I gave the Druze as an Islamic comparison, though perhaps the Ahmadis are a better example. You might even say Mormonism is to Christianity what Christianity is to Judaism, with a new holy book that for all practical purposes supersedes the old ones, and certain doctrinal differences to justify the inclusion of that new revelation.

Also, not an expert, I could be ass-wrong on any number of points for all mentioned religions.

*I think the topic came up because a couple of mutual friends were talking about being ex-Mormon neo-pagans.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism

What are your thoughts on this religious movement?

Here's the 13 articles of faith Mormons live by as a basic outline of their beliefs:

1.We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2.We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3.We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4.We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5.We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6.We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7.We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8.We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9.We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10.We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11.We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12.We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13.We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
    Was mormon until I was 22 and some. did the mission decided it was wrong toward the end of my mish. Ask me whatever you want to know. I'll try to be objective and I'll tell you if it's my opinion or doctrine.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism

What are your thoughts on this religious movement?

Here's the 13 articles of faith Mormons live by as a basic outline of their beliefs:

1.We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2.We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3.We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4.We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5.We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6.We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7.We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8.We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9.We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10.We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11.We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12.We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13.We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
    This list doesn't even begin to enumerate the beliefs held by Mormons. Your list is biased toward the positives, i.e., values those from other Christian faiths will agree with.

A more expansive view of the Mormon creed can be found here:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0802456332/...l_9t251tr360_b

Take a gander at THIS list from that book -

• "God is an exalted man with a physical body, parts, and passions.
    • Men may become gods.
    • Jesus is merely one of God's sexually billions of begotten-in-heaven sons and the only one begotten by Him on earth.
    • Satan is a full spirit brother of Jesus. He could have been the Savior if his plan of salvation had surpassed that of Jesus.
    • Adam's 'sin' was a blessing and not a curse.
    • It was just as necessary for Adam to sin as it was for Jesus to be crucified."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Was mormon until I was 22 and some. did the mission decided it was wrong toward the end of my mish. Ask me whatever you want to know. I'll try to be objective and I'll tell you if it's my opinion or doctrine.
    Okay, that's cool we have someone with experience, knowledge, AND skepticism.

Let's start with this: what's the purpose of "going to the temple" (for Mormons)?

Also, why do some people "go to better kingdoms" than others?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

My staunch Mormon friend says he was forced to join a certain ward based on where he lives. He doesn't like his ward, but he doesn't want to move either. For some Mormons, it might be worth moving to another part of town in order to join a preferred ward. Others choose to live with the lack of freedom to join whatever ward they desire.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Okay, that's cool we have someone with experience, knowledge, AND skepticism.

Let's start with this: what's the purpose of "going to the temple" (for Mormons)?
    To have their marriage "sealed."

Also, why do some people "go to better kingdoms" than others?
    Are you referring to the telestrial, terrestrial, and celestial kingdoms? For the same reason that people allegedly go to Hell versus Heaven.