User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Myself as well. I really only have maybe 10ish people I really feel friends/more with but a huge amount of my energy goes into those relationships. I want to be close friends with more people than that but I haven't found enough people I really connect with deeply enough to be like that with them, and even if I did, I'm not even sure I'd really have the time.

I, too, feel like my interpersonal/social intelligence is probably actually better than my intrapersonal/emotional intelligence, which I suspect is fairly odd for an FP.
    Very interesting! Yeah, I agree, as well. I feel relatively disconnected from people at this point in my life, but I think that's more my fault and it's improving.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Socionics
    ESI None

It took me some time to think about my response to this thread.

I think when we talk about book smarts, IQ intelligence, we mean the results on a test, independant of real world results the IQ brings. When we talk about social intelligence, however, we mean the capacity to succeed socially regdardless of how ethical. Manipulation is considered "socially intelligent" because it brings results, however ethical or not the process of using said manipulation may be. I think there may be a tinge of parodical irony in the use of the term "social intelligence", even if it isnt intended, because it sort of inverts the supposedly "useless" results one gets on an IQ test.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Not everyone interprets the conventional term "intelligence" as meaning IQ-test results. It can also mean the ability to understand concepts and events, how things work (impersonal systems), and the ability to predict and even affect outcomes.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I would say being able to manipulate people counts as social intelligence. I'm not sure that people mean this though. When they say they value social intelligence, are they really saying that they value someone who can manipulate people? It's possible, I suppose, but I somehow doubt it.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Socionics
    ESI None

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I would say being able to manipulate people counts as social intelligence. I'm not sure that people mean this though. When they say they value social intelligence, are they really saying that they value someone who can manipulate people? It's possible, I suppose, but I somehow doubt it.
    I think the choice of words used is important. If I say that person "proud of themselves" the person is seen as arrogant repulsive, even unethical, however, if I say "they have good self-esteem" this is seen as postive and healthy. I think this is generally the case with impression the choice of these terms make. It also seems that the word "manipulation" would not be used in describing social intelligence, since it has negative connotations. Its not that noone with social intelligence would manipulate you, its that noone with social intelligence would use the word "manipulation" to describe themselves. And if a behavior is seen as "manipulation" it suddenly stops being seen as postive. And social intelligence is generally impied to be positive/good.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

If they don't value manipulation, what are they valuing? Or is it manipulation, but just not called that because that word doesn't have good PR?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Socionics
    ESI None

I think so, but I wouldnt equate social intelligence with manipulation. Manipulation might be a means but the end, I think, is social success. I think this is what you inquuire about in your OP,asking if social intelligence is the same as having many friends(which could be seen as social sucess) for example. I dont think a person who has less friends would really be seen as less socially intelligent if thats what they want; I do, however, think that when people talk about social intelligence they base it on external factors.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Yes. I tend to agree. I don't think it's manipulation that they necessarily value but the art of smooth interaction because there is a certain finesse and skill that people need to get what they want without pissing people off (or nullifying it when it does occur/reacting to it in a way that furthers one's goals). I think a portion of social intelligence is persuasion and Machiavellian intelligence (if it weren't, how do crooked politicians get into office)?

One could argue that any social interaction is manipulation (taking any emotive connotation out of the word) because it's at the most basic level (besides biology and chemistry), a chain reaction of the interplay of people's actions and reactions. The extent to which one can navigate this game to reach a certain goal is what I consider "social intelligence".

Also, I would say the character, Walter White is a NT character with high social intelligence. In certain ways, the conflict-avoidant tendencies of many Fs is not socially intelligent