User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: All is Science

MBTI
    ISTP

Default All is Science

Evolution is science. The mutations in your DNA are a hypothesis, and you are an experiment. Will you replicate?

Thought is science. Your thoughts are hypotheses, and when you think them or say them an experiment is run. Will they replicate? Will they live on in your mind, having a strong influence? Will they live on in culture, bearing many offspring? And by extension religion is science. Which set of thoughts will survive the longest, outcompeting the others?

Science is everywhere, at all scales and at all times. It does not require an agent to see it. It just is. We are a product of science. I am an experiment. This post is an experiment as is this galaxy. The thoughts in your mind this instant are experiments.

And you, be ye fruitful and multiply; minimize entropy on earth, and multiply therein.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Truth.

Edit: But I would say that science is the study of everything. Everything > science. It's just our attempt at explaining it.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

What we measure and observe to operate in external contexts is most certainly a broken relfection of something much higher and greater. Metaphysics is where it's at.

Clearly there's a lot of stuff out there that we're just way too limited to perceive. I put much faith in seeing things by intuitive means, by whirling around concepts in our minds and making improvements until the construct really builds up and becomes a masterwork.

Remember this quote: “The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” ― Nikola Tesla

Infinite Bubble

Science is the universe in human terms.

WALMART

Love is all and love is everyone
    It is knowing, It is knowing

But yeah. The irrevocable nature of time. Rand fancied the term existentialism, if only it weren't taken.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

None of that is science. Data isn't science, science is a human construction, just like arts and philosophy, a means to represent the universe of what is known.

MBTI
    ISTP

The method nature used to create us bears a striking resemblance to what we call the scientific method. What we call science predates us. What we call science appears to be an instance of a more general principle.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Science is a great method of understanding, but that does not make the things it allows us to understand science themselves.

And we were not designed by the natural world. The natural world is not an entity outside of our imaginations, and we were not formed by anything with enough sapience to be using the scientific method.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTP

If you are replying to me, please take the content of my posts into consideration!

"The natural world is not an entity outside of our imaginations"

Is that solipsism?! Our imaginations exist in reality! http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/The_m..._the_territory

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

@mingularity what is your job may i ask?