User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does God want what's best for all?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 43.75%
  • No

9 56.25%
First 123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I don't believe in God in a way that I can answer this. I believe that whatever power may be is essentially "good" in a way that goes beyond good/evil dichotomy - that it is content, wholesome, balanced, full, etc. That it is not something that needs to be regretted or opposed. That even though me or you or other living beings or forms may not desire the current state of things, ultimately everything is OK.
    I think your post resonates with my ideaologies up until you say it's all okay, in which then I disagree.

I'm not just going to passively accept everything in the natural order. Extreme actions must be taken to alter its overall design and actually construct what's best for all, since I don't think it's already here.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I think God is beyond our understanding. I would say he's alive, since he would have a mind, and also be a force, since a mind has a will. I'm religious in the sense that I believe in powers above ourselves that may have parts in the overall creation of various existential realms.
    I agree that it would be beyond our understanding. But a mind is created from the interaction of electrical impulses inside a complex device made of matter (as far as we know). If a God(s) exist, I think their concept of being - if they can be classed as "being" at all - is just far too complex to imagine. So it wouldn't have a mind, but something much stranger and more fantastic.

I once heard Stephen Hawking say, "Anything that happened before the Big Bang could not effect what happened after." Through processes we can rationalize, the universe has indeed made itself alive and aware of itself from within. There could also though be things that are aware of it from beyond.
    What Hawking said may or may not be true. The Big Bang may be a separate entity in itself, or it may simply be part of something greater. I have thought about the universe itself being alive before. (I can't be bothered to regurgitate it all, so here's a post that expressed the general idea: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2127156)

But I still do not believe we have to call this "God". We can place it in a logical, scientific framework.

It would matter to us far more than to the universe, but it would still have significance for ourselves, even if not for everything else as a whole. With the right God(s) on our side, perhaps we could develop better. The door can be opened to us, we just have to walk through.
    What is it for something to "matter", what is "significance", what is "development"? What is the end?

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    That it is not something that needs to be regretted or opposed. That even though me or you or other living beings or forms may not desire the current state of things, ultimately everything is OK.
    Yes, exactly. But I'd go as far as to say that it isn't "OK", but that it just is. Not that that's anything more than a small change in semantics.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I think your post resonates with my ideaologies up until you say it's all okay, in which then I disagree.

I'm not just going to passively accept everything in the natural order. Extreme actions must be taken to alter its overall design and actually construct what's best for all, since I don't think it's already here.
    That's interesting. I'm all for changing the status quo, but I don't feel like I have to do anything, either. Maybe it's rebellion against Catholic teachings of always having to fight against the evil in yourself or whatever, but I don't think that I have any inherent responsibility to change things. I should because it is compassionate to help others who are suffering but I don't think something bad will happen if I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Lolz said the same thing on PerC.

He is either an unconcerned sociopath or he isn't as mighty as some claim him to be.
    Or he's The Lord and you're with him or against him.

What the OP's question doesn't address is whether all want what God thinks is best for them.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I don't think God gives a shit. I think God probably exists, but just doesn't care about any of us. Assuming that God does seems like a narcissistic fabrication of the level of Ptolemaic astronomy or the idea that we are the only intelligent species in the entire universe.

We need to get over ourselves.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

I would say yes... God wants what's best for everyone/thing.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I don't think God gives a shit. I think God probably exists, but just doesn't care about any of us. Assuming that God does seems like a narcissistic fabrication of the level of Ptolemaic astronomy or the idea that we are the only intelligent species in the entire universe.
    Well, for some reason or another, God doesn't directly contact us, and as such, it seems as if he doesn't care. I'm not saying that as a fact, but that's just an inference one could make (and one I haven't made).

We need to get over ourselves.
    We need to recognize where we need to expand. Of course right now, we're not very developed (Type 0.69 [or something close to that] Civilization), so we can't act as if we're super great, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have faith in our own promise, or what the future holds in store for human beings (or what they're evolving into).

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    What the OP's question doesn't address is whether all want what God thinks is best for them.
    That's something I should have made more clear. What's good, better, best, and so forth is pretty much a point of view. What's right in God's perspective could be very different from what fits for ourselves, or so we would like to think.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

God is good, God is always good.

Know God and walk the earth, soul will be happy. You will be set.

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

If there is a god, I wouldn't be surprised if it's insane.

Either that, or a "god" is more along the lines of a system/force rather than a single entity.

Would I believe the former in this wanting the best? No, I wouldn't believe it would. Maybe if it had a plan that it was following for a while, but it has long lost it's original perception.
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs