User Tag List

12 Last

Default Dumping one set of beliefs for what appears like more crazy or zany ones?

What do you think about this?

I've known people who've attacked and dumped one belief system as irrational or mistaken or wrong but adopted what appears to be a more crazy or zany one in its place, I mentioned a guy I knew at university briefly who was a fundamentalist roman catholic who then became, via Spainish history, a fascist, I've known other people who have left the religious congregations or churches traditions of their family or parents but then gravitated towards evangelical groups, cults or fundamentalisms.

Do you think there's an underlying character structure which makes for this sort of thing or is it entirely to do with context, peer pressure, peer direction or culture and memes?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

It could be that the person is drawn to move away from their family norm or the familiar aesthetically. For me, my father's protestant church feels mainstream. Hymns are played on electric guitar, sermons are illustrated with clips from popular television shows...it's so normal, because the congregation tries to pull people in with familiar styles. Not so with a few spiritual paths I tried in college, and that I eventually drifted away from because I realized I was just looking for something different more than I was actually resonating with the teachings, and could make my own way just as well and a lot more sincerely.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

I've known people who've attacked and dumped one belief system as irrational or mistaken or wrong but adopted what appears to be a more crazy or zany one in its place, I mentioned a guy I knew at university briefly who was a fundamentalist roman catholic who then became, via Spainish history, a fascist, I've known other people who have left the religious congregations or churches traditions of their family or parents but then gravitated towards evangelical groups, cults or fundamentalisms.

Do you think there's an underlying character structure which makes for this sort of thing or is it entirely to do with context, peer pressure, peer direction or culture and memes?
    I believe it has to do with desperation...
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

I think age and culture have a lot to do with what you are describing.

If you are younger, say under 25, you are more likely to be trying on things and exploring. Americans are a diverse lot and with immigration this effect is renewed due to the increased likelihood of encountering a new system. Additionally America is an outlier (compared to other wealthy nations. Pew Research ªªª http://www.pewglobal.org/2002/12/19/...althy-nations/) when it comes to religious belief, in that a large percentage are theistic. I think this adds pressure to be ¨something¨. Finally Americans are very mobile and the effect of moving to new areas (U.S. Religion Map and Religious Population http://religions.pewforum.org/maps) compounds the above.

Can Personality Be Changed? The Role of Beliefs in Personality and Change ªªª http://www.stanford.edu/dept/psychol...itychanged.pdf
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

This sounds a lot like someone who say, stops drinking then becomes a motorcycle fanatic. Or a fitness nut. Or a born again Christian. They're just exchanging one addiction or crutch for another but I think it's some kind of addictive personality. Maybe somewhat cultural or peer direction. I know some people see it as just being dedicated.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Perhaps what thu are dumping is the sense of complacency and empty religious action, in exchange for what they beilieve is an authentic spiritual experience. They chase it because it is outlandish and it makes them actually feel something.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I've known people who can't dump a set of beliefs, and they are worse.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

I've known some people like that. They needed something to believe in as a guiding measure for their lives. I preferred the philosophical approach in order to understand the different ways of being and believing, but for these people they feel they require something much more conclusive and concrete and definitive about how they should live. Personally, I don't usually like people that take rules too seriously.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think if you are fanatical in character you will carry that into your beliefs. You may drop one belief and pick up another (even opposing) with renewed zeal. If you have more of a wishy washy character you may also carry that through. I have thought about this before...wondered what ingredients comprise the most ardent dogmatists.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Stansmith

A traumatic loss of dopamine and serotonin.