User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Default Matt 6:21. you can;t explain that

Are you happy/fulfilled/satisfied/at peace? How?

Why do I ask? I used to be devout mormon. went on a mission and the whole nine yards, but during my mission I was miserable. I didn;t mind Argie-land. Argentines are actually great people but the mission and the missionary "companions" sucked. I hated it and came to the conclusion that either god didnt give a shit about me or didn;t exist. Either way no reason to keep on serving such a being.
    Fast-forward two years later I'm a 24 yr old recent college grad that fancies himself a deist/pantheist (after having a falling out/getting fed up with the know-it-all atheist), meets a girl that's a nondenominational christian. She's the happiest person I've ever known and she attributes this to Jesus. But here understanding of Jesus is quite different then mine. At any rate I start reading the bible again and this is what I find:
    "For where your treasure is, there your heart is also." (Matthew 6:21 in KJV). This is after her telling me that Jesus "wants my heart" not two years in a foreign country or ten percent of my pay check, etc.

What I lnog for most though is conpanionship. what's so rong about that/ If Jesus gave a damn where was he during fmy mish? why should i want him more than a companion? and even then how would I even do that?

p.s. i'm drunk so fuck typos hooray fr honey jack

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Mormonism and Christianity may look similar they but are quite different, and where was Jesus during the Roman persecution of Christians? Believe in God because you believe in God, not for companionship (you risk damage to another's life), especially if you lead someone to believe you have faith when you do not in an effort to keep them around you. The Sermon on the Mount talks a lot about what we could and should be as individuals (among other things), a being capable of living on two planes, a finite physical and also an infinite spiritual (my view).

Of course, boozing it up and posting on a typology site will most likely not impress most Christian girls, unless she’s into fix up projects. Then you’re the one in trouble .

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Are you happy/fulfilled/satisfied/at peace? How?
    Yes. Probably because I don't feel religion and happiness are correlated. I make my own happiness, surround myself with people who make me happy and have a satisfying relationship because of that.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

First of all I'll tell you that, in my experience, deep thinking when you've been drinking and are intoxicated leads to unsound and unsatisfactory conclusions, you should give consideration to all these things again when you're sober.

Also, there's a lot of what's in your post that corresponds to psychological/temporal needs, happiness, companionship, relating, find solutions to those things and then approach the spiritual questions after that.

Random passages from the bible will not help you with that, at the very least confirmation bias is going to be operative, this is something I've never understood about the so called "bible christians" and protestantism's solo scriptural traditions they are wide open to problems, greater problems than were ever associated with the "authority and tradition" they arose in contra-distinction to.

I'll be very clear with you here though, concluding that God doesnt exist or doesnt give a shit about you because of your experiences doing missionary work makes about as much sense as supposing that your father, mother, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, 2nd cousins dont exist or give a shit about you. I've gone back and forth musing about whether or not God is concerned about the minutia of my day, sometimes it seems so, sometimes it doesnt seem so but deciding questions about God's existence on that basis would be a bit much, you wouldnt reach decisions about cosmology, physics, chemistry or any of the other disciplines which have identified forces extranuous to man and governing his existence on that basis.

When you consider that at the time of Capurnicous or Gaileo the Church worried about how man would handle not being the centre of the universe they neednt have worried because most people are still thinking like that despite the evidence, as if man, and in particular themselves, are the centre of things.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Yes. Probably because I don't feel religion and happiness are correlated. I make my own happiness, surround myself with people who make me happy and have a satisfying relationship because of that.
    Happiness can be over rated, practically most people live as though this is the case, or at the very least they forfeit immediate and greater surity of happiness for future and hypothecated happiness, consider pregnancy for one instance of this.

In my own experience, although I'd not say anyone needs to accept it should be the same for them, religion is necessary but not sufficient for happiness in the here and now.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Happiness can be over rated, practically most people live as though this is the case, or at the very least they forfeit immediate and greater surity of happiness for future and hypothecated happiness, consider pregnancy for one instance of this.

In my own experience, although I'd not say anyone needs to accept it should be the same for them, religion is necessary but not sufficient for happiness in the here and now.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

ndovjtjcaqidthi

OP is sleeping. Sweet dreams OP.

Don't drink and post people.

MBTI
    ISTx

THE BIBLE IS AWESOME.
    Last edited by swordpath; 09-08-2013 at 04:14 PM.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    At any rate I start reading the bible again and this is what I find:
    "For where your treasure is, there your heart is also." (Matthew 6:21 in KJV). This is after her telling me that Jesus "wants my heart" not two years in a foreign country or ten percent of my pay check, etc.
    Well, based on the translation, what this says to me is that, whatever you value (whatever you consider your "treasure", that is where your attention and love and focus goes. And Jesus is saying that in context of "treasuring heaven." IOW, it's a discussion of commitment and focus, not getting something you want or being happy per se. The main benefit of treasuring heaven, according to this passage, is that it cannot be taken or destroyed.

I have no clue what your female friend thinks this verse means or how it impacts her choices or what she has said to you.

What I lnog for most though is conpanionship. what's so rong about that/ If Jesus gave a damn where was he during fmy mish? why should i want him more than a companion? and even then how would I even do that?
    I know i'm reading between the lines here; but chances are, if you're dealing a non-denom Christian, she is prioritizing Jesus, so if she thinks you're a distraction to doing what she thinks Jesus wants or you force her to make choices between you and her faith, she's not going to pick you. And her comment is saying that Jesus wants you to be in a relationship with him, versus just off 'doing good things' somewhere. There's a story about Jesus getting together at the home of Mary and Martha, and Martha works in the kitchen while Jesus is talking while Mary sits at his feet; Martha has a kind of ESFJ approach and gets kind of mad that she's doing all the work while Mary is just hanging out with Jesus, but Jesus tells Martha that Mary's doing the right thing in spending time with him rather than just working (which people can do all the time, but he won't always be around). That story fits kind of with what she is saying.

As far as "happiness" goes, there is happiness that she might have because of who she is that you can't share because your happiness comes from elsewhere -- she can be happy with having faith and believing everything will work out and having this "relationship" with God, but it might be something you might not feel happy living with in your own life, you find happiness in other ways. There's also happiness that people experience that they attribute to God, that might not come from a divine being at all but simply comes from being matured and centered.

Having a relationship with Jesus to me is kind of all internalized. You talk to Jesus like he's a person. You care about Jesus like a person. You try to do what you think Jesus would do as if he were right there. But the thing is, and I know you already see it, is that you can't be sure that Jesus is there or whether you're just talking to yourself. People either choose to believe that they are relating to someone or they decide they are not, but essentially it all happens inside of you. Some people don't feel alone, with that kind of relationship; they feel that it's real.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft