User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Or put another way, let's use your example of the general slaughtering people. Every time the general slaughters a person, that informs the behavior of the world towards the general. Will he be punished? Not necessarily. Does the world treat him differently than if he were a nice man instead? ABSOLUTELY YES.

That is karma by definition.
    And actually, for someone who is the only person in this thread that knows what it is, you're doing a uh, not good job of explaining it, to put it nicely.

Edit: I can understand it being cause and effect. Everything anyone does affects the universe and the world in some way. Like Causal Determination, the western equivalent.

That is more or less, the dictionary definition. But it's odd to think that someone who does awful things doesn't pay for it. If there's an afterlife or reincarnation, and they're re-born as some shit eating fly over and over for 4,000 years, it would make more sense. But that's not anything anyone can prove.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Some theives are never punished, some heroes are killed. We are free agents in a chaos system. There is no force on Earth as of 2014 AD which governs morality other than people, as morality is a human construct. Superstitions such as karma are merely ideologies designed to keep those with control in power.
    During the Enlightenment, the light of reason led us away from a world ruled by the church. We must put childish things aside and give love and kindness to each other without expecting a reward.
    Yes mate, love and kindness are their own reward.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes mate, love and kindness are their own reward.
    Well said, Mole! I could not agree more.
    Goodnight, and I hope you have a nice day!
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

I believe in karma. Only because I absolutely get my arse kicked whenever I do something slightly dodgy. If I was able to get away with it then no way would karma exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    I believe in karma. Only because I absolutely get my arse kicked whenever I do something slightly dodgy. If I was able to get away with it then no way would karma exist.
    I think the greatest spiritual blessing one could have is to feel the short and long term consequences of one's actions. It's only fair because you just want to know the consequnces of your actions.

But sadly such a calculation doesn't exist.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

If karma is real, the majority of us are in for a nasty surprise. Just by going to the supermarket and buying meat, you're making yourself a party to a cruel murder. Vegetarians think they're better off, but I doubt lettuce is much more a fan of being eaten than a chicken is.

As far as whether I think karma is real or not, it's evident that our actions do not yield immediate karmic rewards or punishments. If there's room for a little delay, I'd say there's room for endless delay.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    And actually, for someone who is the only person in this thread that knows what it is, you're doing a uh, not good job of explaining it, to put it nicely.

Edit: I can understand it being cause and effect. Everything anyone does affects the universe and the world in some way. Like Causal Determination, the western equivalent.

That is more or less, the dictionary definition. But it's odd to think that someone who does awful things doesn't pay for it. If there's an afterlife or reincarnation, and they're re-born as some shit eating fly over and over for 4,000 years, it would make more sense. But that's not anything anyone can prove.
    That doesn't make sense to me. That is arbitrary and serves no purpose other than revenge, as with most punishment based philosophies.

There's no point to making people suffer in the next life just because they did wrong. What good does it do? It doesn't undo the damage, it's just cruelty and vengefulness. And before anyone says 'deterrent' well how is it a deterrent when everyone thinks it is superstition and throws out the whole idea to begin with?

No. This cosmic score keeping idea is the thing that doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    If karma is real, the majority of us are in for a nasty surprise. Just by going to the supermarket and buying meat, you're making yourself a party to a cruel murder. Vegetarians think they're better off, but I doubt lettuce is much more a fan of being eaten than a chicken is.

As far as whether I think karma is real or not, it's evident that our actions do not yield immediate karmic rewards or punishments. If there's room for a little delay, I'd say there's room for endless delay.
    It's not about reward or punishment. Read the thread.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    That doesn't make sense to me. That is arbitrary and serves no purpose other than revenge, as with most punishment based philosophies.

There's no point to making people suffer in the next life just because they did wrong. What good does it do? It doesn't undo the damage, it's just cruelty and vengefulness. And before anyone says 'deterrent' well how is it a deterrent when everyone thinks it is superstition and throws out the whole idea to begin with?

No. This cosmic score keeping idea is the thing that doesn't make sense.

It's not about reward or punishment. Read the thread.
    Yessir Mr. Sprinkles. Except the rest of the thread thinks it is crime and punishment, or rather that is coopted definition. Not true to the actual definition, which is basically that actions have reactions and so on. Morality does not seem to fit into it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    that actions have reactions and so on. Morality does not seem to fit into it.
    Well if that's the case why do my shitty actions seem to have bigger reactions than my nice ones....

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    Well if that's the case why do my shitty actions seem to have bigger reactions than my nice ones....
    Because you have a conscience and you punish yourself. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with Karma. Probably. Metaphysics is not a provable science, but I personally believe there are moral Laws in the Universe that if violated, True peace is taken from you. It can be regained of course.

According to Deepak Chopra's system, one of those laws deals with Karma.

The Law of Karma: Every action generates a force of energy that returns to us in like kind. Choosing actions that bring happiness and success to others ensures the flow of happiness and success to you.

All 7:

It's a joke to think there are easy answers for a lot of questions raised in this thread. Karma is a bit of a mysterious thing, but I do think it exists.

And btw, there are MANY tenants in Buddhism, but the cornerstone to all of them is daily meditation for at least 30 minutes to an hour or more. And I mention it because it is one of many eastern religions that each have a slightly different definition of Karma.