User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 105

  1. #51
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Blech...Karma...

    How do you explain all the bad people who are never punished, and all the good people who die young? What about those born with disabilities? Are they bad people? Huh? Answer me!
    OK, I'll answer you mate.

    All the bad people who are never punished in this life are punished in the next life by karma.

    And all those who die young in this life, are rewarded by karma in the next life, with a long, happy and prosperous life with many children and grandchildren.

    And those born with disabilities in this life, are compensated by karma in the next life with exceptional physical, emotional and intellectual abilities.
    Likes The Wailing Specter liked this post

  2. #52
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    OK, I'll answer you mate.

    All the bad people who are never punished in this life are punished in the next life by karma.

    And all those who die young in this life, are rewarded by karma in the next life, with a long, happy and prosperous life with many children and grandchildren.

    And those born with disabilities in this life, are compensated by karma in the next life with exceptional physical, emotional and intellectual abilities.
    Interesting philosophy, but what is the evidence for this claim? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  3. #53
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Karma does not exist.

    The only forces in the universe that we can demonstrate actually exist show no particular sign of following a pattern anything like how we view karma, and why would they? Karma seems like something designed with a purpose (which the cosmos is not) along the lines of a human idea of good and bad (which is subjective and chaotic).

    I don't even like it as a guiding philosophy. As someone trying to do right, you must understand that possibly nothing will return to you for doing so except the satisfaction of believing you have done right, and to assume that people who do wrong will be face karmic consequences encourages passivity in the face of injustice. The cosmos will not take care of that for you.
    Exactly.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  4. #54
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Interesting philosophy, but what is the evidence for this claim? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
    I am forced to admit there is absolutely no evidence, no evidence whatsoever, for the traditional claim of karma in the next life.

    However there is the New Age claim of karma in this life - illustrated by such popular sayings as what goes around comes around.

  5. #55
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Exactly.
    I dunno. We could turn the idea inversely on itself and say that if karma doesn't exist, then we can do bad and expect good results out of it. However, there are actions that we reinforce and encourage in others and actions that we will punish. How do you refute the seemingly human necessity for ethics and laws that promote such things if karma isn't to exist at all?

  6. #56
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    To the OP. I like the idea of Karma because it would mean that there is justice / a greater balance, which is something that seems to be missing in the world (it feels like that sometimes). I don't necessarily believe in Karma but on the other hand I don't say it could not be. But with our without Karma, I like to live my life as well as I can, doing as much good as I can and trying to treat people as well as I can. I like to treat people well not because I expect to get something out of it (like a good Karma) but because I feel it's the right thing to do. Treat others as you yourself like to be treated.

  7. #57
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    What most of you think karma is, is likely wrong. Little_Sticks was on the right track but I won't bother to repeat it. It's there if you want to read it.

    Edit: and it is pretty clear that many don't read anyway.
    Likes johnnyyukon, ygolo liked this post

  8. #58
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I am forced to admit there is absolutely no evidence, no evidence whatsoever, for the traditional claim of karma in the next life.

    However there is the New Age claim of karma in this life - illustrated by such popular sayings as what goes around comes around.
    Some theives are never punished, some heroes are killed. We are free agents in a chaos system. There is no force on Earth as of 2014 AD which governs morality other than people, as morality is a human construct. Superstitions such as karma are merely ideologies designed to keep those with control in power.
    During the Enlightenment, the light of reason led us away from a world ruled by the church. We must put childish things aside and give love and kindness to each other without expecting a reward.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  9. #59
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I dunno. We could turn the idea inversely on itself and say that if karma doesn't exist, then we can do bad and expect good results out of it. However, there are actions that we reinforce and encourage in others and actions that we will punish. How do you refute the seemingly human necessity for ethics and laws that promote such things if karma isn't to exist at all?
    Well some people do do bad, very bad naughty things and gain a lot of power, money, and influence. Are they happy? I dunno. But ask a cannibal warlord in Liberia. Such as General Butt Naked and no I'm not joking, that's a real dude in Liberia that slaughtered hundreds of people, including children. I'm not even going to post the shit, as it's too graphic. But the documentary linked is one the most disturbing I've ever seen. The "General" is a preacher now.


    My other thought was that perhaps some people are just born evil, or it's just a part of their nature. A lion doesn't get punished for "murdering" defenseless, cute little antelope on a weekly basis, because that's it's nature. Maybe karma escapes some naturally evil people. Sure, a lot get caught and then there's ones that don't that maybe are tortured by their own demons, and some that are A OK with casually lopping off the head of some random pedestrian and never get caught.

    And I'm sure some people don't kill because of the SEVERE consequences of getting caught. There may be some higher knowing of what is "Right" and "Wrong" but even then, it would be relative to the situation. Hard to say, interesting discussion.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  10. #60
    Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    My other thought was that perhaps some people are just born evil, or it's just a part of their nature. A lion doesn't get punished for "murdering" defenseless, cute little antelope on a weekly basis, because that's it's nature. Maybe karma escapes some naturally evil people. Sure, a lot get caught and then there's ones that don't that maybe are tortured by their own demons, and some that are A OK with casually lopping off the head of some random pedestrian and never get caught.
    It may be their nature as you say, but we are not leaving into a jungle (or only in a metaphorical way), so that is why strict rules must be enforced in our societies.
    If you are evil, one day or another you'll feel guilty. Hitler has committed suicide, even if his own demons were not in touch with reason since a long time.

    I must admit I would have killed my ex boss if laws were not what they are

    I am the 1st one who will raise both hands for much more humanity and freedom.
    A society can only feel safe and free with rules that protect it from dangers.

    Being for freedom and not giving a damn about justice would be totally senseless.
    Karma may also be part of a very idealist philosophy to believe in justice, a diamond into a so disappointing world.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

Similar Threads

  1. Time: Real or Illusory?
    By Mal12345 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 12:06 AM
  2. Hoverboard - REAL or HOAX?
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 07:05 PM
  3. Dom/Tert Loops: Real or Fake?
    By RaptorWizard in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM
  4. Real or Fake? Headphones for Cats
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO