User Tag List

First 12345 Last

I wish it did and I wish it had a harder edge, the same way I desire to see divine wrath and vengence upon the wicked but I dont so I wonder if God has a different idea about what is deserving of punishment to me.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wish it did and I wish it had a harder edge, the same way I desire to see divine wrath and vengence upon the wicked but I dont so I wonder if God has a different idea about what is deserving of punishment to me.
    I think God has a punishment-when-you-die approach to things. I also think he talks about "karma" for taking care of those matters here on earth.

Edit: ok, i changed judgment to punishment in the above. but if you believe in Christian God (which I think you recall saying you do), then punishment of sin for those saved by Jesus is already done, right?
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Mmm, yes, I struggle with this question myself. How come people who are innocent are victimized without justice and people who are wicked carry on without punishment? I don't know. Truly, not a day goes by that this question doesn't come across my mind and dishearten me for at least one second.

Karma is essentially the same concept as "what ye sow, ye reap." Whether or not that's true is probably circumstantial. Unfortunately, at certain points in my life, it has seemed to me that if you have enough money, you usually do not have to reap what ye have sown, so to speak, because ye can pay for good lawyers and use your connections to bully, harass, and intimidate people into silence.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    I think God has a punishment-when-you-die approach to things. I also think he talks about "karma" for taking care of those matters here on earth.

Edit: ok, i changed judgment to punishment in the above. but if you believe in Christian God (which I think you recall saying you do), then punishment of sin for those saved by Jesus is already done, right?
    I'm wondering why you believe God would wish harm upon those who walk astray from his path.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I'm wondering why you believe God would wish harm upon those who walk astray from his path.
    I don't think he does. Straight away I want to say that I don't claim to understand God, and if you're about to hit me with a line of questioning, I surely will run out of answers before you run out of questions. I believe God's stance is that sin must be punished. Since he didn't want to punish people for their sins, out of love, he hooked us up with a way out. If people chose not to accept it, then their sins have not been punished and they must bear it themselves. That's pretty basic Christian theology.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I don't believe in supernatural karma at all, but I think there are negative social consequences (usually) and psychological consequences (always) for mistreating others. I think that being kind, giving and connected to others is enriching and rewarding in itself, and that if someone lives a life of cruelty (or even apathy, something I struggle with) they're basically poisoning their own soul and confining themselves to a meaningless, empty, disconnected life.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I don't believe in supernatural karma at all, but I think there are negative social consequences (usually) and psychological consequences (always) for mistreating others.
    I agree; effects take time to unfold, and violence (physical, emotional, social, etc.) scatters seeds inside and out.

Karma serves the same purpose as Heaven and Hell. They are to guide the behaviour of the gullible.

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Conduit View Post
    I don't think it's supernatural at all. But how we decide to affect the universe has some small effect in the grand scheme of things. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, if not always readily apparent.

I like Buddhism, Taoism and Hinduism and many of their ideas of the universe, but I see them as very scientific religions, less concerned with trying to touch a higher god-power than with realizing universal truth and the oneness of everything. Call that supernatural if you wish, but I think science can back this up. I'm just too stupid and inarticulate to explain it any better.
    Totally agree.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

If you do bad stuff to others, it will go around and possibly come back to you some day. If you do bad stuff, you will punish yourself for it, during life or when the final judgment comes.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read