User Tag List

First 891011 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 105

  1. #91
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    There's also self punishment. Remorse, regret, guilt, etc.
    That's true but besides the point. It still results from an agent having a perception of the offence and sanctioning a penalty. Same difference - it doesn't matter if it's ACTUALLY somebody else or not because that bit is irrelevant to my point.

    Edit: moreover, remorse is not actually a punishment.

  2. #92
    AKA Nunki Polaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles
    Punishment doesn't just happen. It is caused by an agent. It IS limited to penalties inflicted by another individual (or individuals).
    I'm sure you've heard phrases like "the punishing rays of the sun." People who write such things are not under the impression that the sun is a person. They understand that the word "punishment" can refer to acts performed by non-thinking entities, as do many dictionary authors. It should be clear by now what I meant by the word "punishment," even if I was using the word in a non-standard fashion. By continuing to criticize a usage of the word that I was not, in fact, employing and which I never gave reason to think I was employing, you're turning this into a semantic debate and attacking a viewpoint that I don't possess.

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles
    That's not a straw man, that's an actual problem with your position.
    How can it be a problem with my position when it isn't part of my position? You don't know what my view of karma is. The only thing I've said about my view of karma is that karma involves a reward and punishment mechanism of some kind. Most people agree with me. If you don't think karma involves positive consequences for good acts and negative consequences for bad acts, you may consider that I wasn't addressing your view of karma.

    Beyond that, I think this is a pointless line of discussion.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

  3. #93
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    I'm sure you've heard phrases like "the punishing rays of the sun." People who write such things are not under the impression that the sun is a person. They understand that the word "punishment" can refer to acts performed by non-thinking entities, as do many dictionary authors. It should be clear by now what I meant by the word "punishment," even if I was using the word in a non-standard fashion. By continuing to criticize a usage of the word that I was not, in fact, employing and which I never gave reason to think I was employing, you're turning this into a semantic debate and attacking a viewpoint that I don't possess.
    That's called a metaphor. Has no place in logical arguments.

    If it did, when somebody said "Knock em dead" they'd be guilty of conspiring to commit murder. Surely you know the difference and why it is important.

    How can it be a problem with my position when it isn't part of my position? You don't know what my view of karma is. The only thing I've said about my view of karma is that karma involves a reward and punishment mechanism of some kind. Most people agree with me. If you don't think karma involves positive consequences for good acts and negative consequences for bad acts, you may consider that I wasn't addressing your view of karma.

    Beyond that, I think this is a pointless line of discussion.
    Do we want to nail down this question and give it an answer or do we want to play games of "me too my opinion"

    Edit:
    Also I would like to remind you that you were the one who pushed me on the issue. I said hardly anything to you and you started defending an argument which we never actually had.

  4. #94
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    @Polaris

    Also I would argue it is pretty important to have semantics and not use metaphors when we're trying to figure out the actual nature of something without confusion. In discussions like this I expect that people use strict definitions. Because you never know what somebody is intending to say.

    What do you do if somebody tries to argue that the sun is a god and does punish people? They'd be using a strict definition but if you just go and assume that they're using a metaphor then you've gone and totally misunderstood what they're saying.

    We don't get anywhere playing around with ambiguous meanings.
    Likes ygolo liked this post

  5. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Karma is real and it should be known as natural vengeance. I say this because vengeance is basically getting back at someone for doing something to someone or tp you. Karma is also called natural justice. There will alwaus be justice in some shape or form to someone despite how corrupt the justice system.

  6. #96
    Black Rose Krim13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Karma could work with quantum theory, honestly. If all energy in the universe is in fact a web of energy, all interconnected, then it has nowhere to go but to ripple through.

  7. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Karma is basically the law of exchange.

  8. #98
    Senior Member Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx
    Posts
    5,782

    Default

    Believe in it. Life is too interconnected for me to dismiss it. Although it might not necessarily be a direct point to point a to b connection, what happens probably equates out constantly.

    What that guy said, (Newton?), for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Not sure whether this directly affects every aspect of every measure. Maybe the physical aspects eventually stack up and influence the emotional ones. So in that way even that is interconnected to karma, layered upon it. Buddhists base a large part of their religious ideas upon the idea of karma I believe, actually all religions sort of do... A divine punishment or reward.

    But more directly, though it probably won't be as direct as you pat someones back and they pat yours, the build up behind direct action probably influences indirect action behind it.
    Last edited by Frosty; 07-03-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Want and need to edit when I have time

  9. #99
    subterfugee Xann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    It's real folks, don't doubt it or else you'll be writing a check you're not mentally, emotionally or physically capable of paying back.

  10. #100
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xann View Post
    It's real folks, don't doubt it or else you'll be writing a check you're not mentally, emotionally or physically capable of paying back.
    Uh oh. What rules govern Karma?

Similar Threads

  1. Time: Real or Illusory?
    By Mal12345 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08-12-2015, 12:06 AM
  2. Hoverboard - REAL or HOAX?
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-05-2014, 07:05 PM
  3. Dom/Tert Loops: Real or Fake?
    By RaptorWizard in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 04:53 PM
  4. Real or Fake? Headphones for Cats
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO