User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 89

  1. #71
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    Religion has it's good parts, but so much of it--most of it--is based on archaic human morals far inferior to what the average educated person has today.

    The fundementalist may be sincere and authentic, but I feel the farther one can get from such basal intolorance and rampant irrationality, the better off you'll be.
    Sincere and authentic, like a good American, but without a sense of humour.

    Americans value sincerity and authenticity due to their religious inheritance. Your politicians, for instance, never tire of invoking God.

    But there is a disconnect because American keep telling us they have the best sense of humour in the world, yet to us, Americans seem humourless. I know this is hard to believe but it is true.

    Americans come across as religious but humourless, and this is just what we would expect from a religious country, deep in a religious trance.

  2. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It is a matter of perception, for we all perceive by making distinctions, and while Americans make the distinction between sincere and phoney (sincere/phoney), we make the same distinction between amusing and boring (amusing/boring).

    So when Americans are being sincere, we think they are being boring; and when we are being amusing, Americans think we are being phoney.

    Vive la différence.
    I've never heard this viewpoint before. From all the sources I heard, Americans thought Europeans were too dignified and "boring," while Europeans saw Americans as loud and annoying.

  3. #73
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    I've never heard this viewpoint before. From all the sources I heard, Americans thought Europeans were too dignified and "boring," while Europeans saw Americans as loud and annoying.
    He's Austrailian.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  4. #74
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Sincere and authentic, like a good American, but without a sense of humour.

    Americans value sincerity and authenticity due to their religious inheritance. Your politicians, for instance, never tire of invoking God.

    But there is a disconnect because American keep telling us they have the best sense of humour in the world, yet to us, Americans seem humourless. I know this is hard to believe but it is true.

    Americans come across as religious but humourless, and this is just what we would expect from a religious country, deep in a religious trance.
    It's sad it has to be that way...
    We are here for such a short time, and we should be enjoying ourselves while preparing for the next generation.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  5. #75
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    He's Australian.
    An Aussie Bastard.

  6. #76
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    I've never heard this viewpoint before.
    It goes back to World War II when the Americans were over paid, over sexed and over here, and at the same time the black Americans turned their guns on their white officers in Townsville, Queensland, and we were asked to put down the American race rebellion. But we refused to turn our guns against Americans black or white.

    However recognising we were dealing with a different culture with different perceptions, we commissioned a study.

    In short, the study found we had different child rearing practices leading to different perceptions.

  7. #77
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It goes back to World War II when the Americans were over paid, over sexed and over here, and at the same time the black Americans turned their guns on their white officers in Townsville, Queensland, and we were asked to put down the American race rebellion. But we refused to turn our guns against Americans black or white.

    However recognising we were dealing with a different culture with different perceptions, we commissioned a study.

    In short, the study found we had different child rearing practices leading to different perceptions.
    The Austrailians handled that amazingly well, considering the time...

    Do you have a link to the study? It sounds interesting.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  8. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    841

    Default

    It is never the religion in the conflict, it is always the person that is behind religion thst creates unity or conflict.
    The concept of religion is to find fullfillment, but you got people who are trying to force tgeir religion on other people and threaten to kill them, if they do that, yoi should tell people to ignore that person unless hr change his ways, but I doubt that.

  9. #79
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by draon9 View Post
    It is never the religion in the conflict, it is always the person that is behind religion thst creates unity or conflict.
    The concept of religion is to find fullfillment, but you got people who are trying to force tgeir religion on other people and threaten to kill them, if they do that, yoi should tell people to ignore that person unless hr change his ways, but I doubt that.
    What you're describing is the authoritarian personality, unfortunately religion is a perfect channel for that person, they need subordinates to torture, tyrannise over or kill and superiors to submit to, this is true even of characters like Hitler, he was constantly saying that he was at the service of nation, volk, God, and didnt set himself up as a sole authority unto himself.

    Those individuals are always suspiscious of others, even those that comply with them or submit to them or serve them, the subordinate class or caste or person, they always suspect that they are insincere and doubt that they want to be at their service, so their hatred and control freakery mounts in an unsustainable way, either the subject revolts or is destroyed and the sadistic-authoritarian type is then left without an object to manipulate and cant cope either. Its why every sadistic type is really a masochistic type too because they cant do without the person to torture and vent their control anxieties on.

  10. #80
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What you're describing is the authoritarian personality, unfortunately religion is a perfect channel for that person, they need subordinates to torture, tyrannise over or kill and superiors to submit to, this is true even of characters like Hitler, he was constantly saying that he was at the service of nation, volk, God, and didnt set himself up as a sole authority unto himself.

    Those individuals are always suspiscious of others, even those that comply with them or submit to them or serve them, the subordinate class or caste or person, they always suspect that they are insincere and doubt that they want to be at their service, so their hatred and control freakery mounts in an unsustainable way, either the subject revolts or is destroyed and the sadistic-authoritarian type is then left without an object to manipulate and cant cope either. Its why every sadistic type is really a masochistic type too because they cant do without the person to torture and vent their control anxieties on.
    What MBTI types do you think are more prone towards authoritarianism?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] How does an FJ "grow" or "change"?
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 09:45 PM
  2. Does social typology enlighten or obscure?
    By BlueScreen in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 10:45 AM
  3. Creating circumstances or created by them
    By Chris_in_Orbit in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 09:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO