User Tag List

First 56789 Last

And ask yourself, why do muslims come out on the streets against a humourous cartoon but remain silent indoors when school children are slaughtered in their beds only the other day in the name of Allah.

The answer is simple, a humourous cartoon is an offence against the humourless Koran, while the slaughter of school children in the name of Allah is not the slightest bit humourous and so not offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

And as I am never tired of pointing out to Americans, sincere begins with sin.
    You don't advocate sincerity? You don't care about the clarity or authenticity of what is shared? Elaborate.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If only every believer stopped boring us and started amusing us.

But the striking thing about sacred texts from the Bible, the Koran, the Analects of Confucius, to the Bagavad Gita, is their lack of a sense of humour.

This is perfectly understandable because these sacred texts were written in a trance and are meant to be read in a trance, where the critical mind is asleep. And as a sense of humour is part of the critical mind, naturally these sacred texts have no sense of humour.
    I may not accept the divine origin of these sacred texts, but they are not universally boring. The most beautiful descriptions of god I have ever read come from the Quran, and some of the Hindu stories, e.g. about the young Krishna, show great playfulness and joy. If believers fail to put that across in their discussions, the writings themselves can hardly be blamed.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Depends on who is using it and for what purposes.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

And ask yourself, why do muslims come out on the streets against a humourous cartoon but remain silent indoors when school children are slaughtered in their beds only the other day in the name of Allah.

The answer is simple, a humourous cartoon is an offence against the humourless Koran, while the slaughter of school children in the name of Allah is not the slightest bit humourous and so not offensive.
    Religion has it's good parts, but so much of it--most of it--is based on archaic human morals far inferior to what the average educated person has today.

The fundementalist may be sincere and authentic, but I feel the farther one can get from such basal intolorance and rampant irrationality, the better off you'll be.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I may not accept the divine origin of these sacred texts, but they are not universally boring. The most beautiful descriptions of god I have ever read come from the Quran, and some of the Hindu stories, e.g. about the young Krishna, show great playfulness and joy. If believers fail to put that across in their discussions, the writings themselves can hardly be blamed.
    could you share your favorites?
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    could you share your favorites?
    Unfortunately, I don't have any of these excerpts close at hand, nor time to look online. Many of the Quran passages were quoted in a book called The Faith Club, written by a Muslim, a Christian, and a Jew as an exercise in understanding each other's spiritual paths. Most of the Hindu stories I read in in a college seminar. I remember the Krishna ones mostly. He is depicted as a young village boy, playing pranks on everyone and stealing butter from his mother; and later as a teenager, flirting with and teasing the milkmaids. The story of Krishna and his chosen sweetheart Radha is one of the great love stories of Hindu sacred writing. (Just google "Krishna and Radha" or even "Krishna and gopis" for accounts.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Unfortunately, I don't have any of these excerpts close at hand, nor time to look online. Many of the Quran passages were quoted in a book called The Faith Club, written by a Muslim, a Christian, and a Jew as an exercise in understanding each other's spiritual paths. Most of the Hindu stories I read in in a college seminar. I remember the Krishna ones mostly. He is depicted as a young village boy, playing pranks on everyone and stealing butter from his mother; and later as a teenager, flirting with and teasing the milkmaids. The story of Krishna and his chosen sweetheart Radha is one of the great love stories of Hindu sacred writing. (Just google "Krishna and Radha" or even "Krishna and gopis" for accounts.)
    I will tomorrow after study hall.
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

-Magic Qwan

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilogen View Post
    You don't advocate sincerity? You don't care about the clarity or authenticity of what is shared? Elaborate.
    It is a matter of perception, for we all perceive by making distinctions, and while Americans make the distinction between sincere and phoney (sincere/phoney), we make the same distinction between amusing and boring (amusing/boring).

So when Americans are being sincere, we think they are being boring; and when we are being amusing, Americans think we are being phoney.

Vive la différence.

They may not be boring but what is striking about all sacred texts is their lack of a sense of humour.

Surely this cries out for an explanation.

And the explanation is that these sacred texts were all written in a religious trance.

And in any trance the critical mind is asleep.

And as humour is a faculty of the critical mind, each of the sacred texts is without a sense of humour.