User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

A ninja I met once told me, "Peace is not the absense of conflict, it is the mastery of it."

edit: definitely putting that in the sig

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Why didn't you mention Catholicism, then?

Youd didn't answer me.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

When we encourage the parts, we neglect the formation of the whole.

I don't see how something that divides humankind into separate belief systems can create unity.

It can create unity only in its division. If all divisions had their own unity, but still remained independent from one another, when viewed wholly, humankind still fails to meet unity.

There is no purpose in divisions because all divisions require the human position. They all ask for the participation of the same species.

To divide our species is to foreign our species within our species... thus, it is not possible to be in unity as a whole with our species.
    Two things fill me with wonder —
    the starry heavens above me and
    the moral law within me.

Immanuel Kant

Tell me what a person finds sexually attractive
    and I will tell you their entire philosophy of life.

Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

It creates unity with the group who practice it. Let's call it 'believers' for this purpose Divides that group from the all other groups we can collectively call nonbelievers.

garbage

Both. Another "us vs. them." The ketchup-lovers band together and regard the mustard-lovers as enemies, and vice-a-versey.

Science is the same no matter where it is practised in the world. While religion is different depending on where you are in the world.

The religions can't be reconciled and there is no way to reconcile them, while the scientific method enables us to determine what is fact and what is not.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by CapLawyer View Post
    Just wondering. I've always thought of religion as a means to unite people, and to help prevent people from acting "wrongly," but usually when I see religion applied to the masses, I see other things happening as well. Like someone using and twisting the ideals of a religion to suit their own selfish ends, or using religion to suffocate the people, or using religion (and people's faith in it) as a means to justify a BS war or the killing of many innocent people. So where do you stand, does it unite or does it create more conflict than it does good in the world?
    Religion creates conflict because religion is man-made; unlike the Gospel, which is God-given. Religion is man trying to climb up the ladder of his own self-righteousness, with the hope of meeting God on the topmost rung; the Gospel is God coming down the ladder in the incarnation of Jesus Christ and meeting us sinners at the lowest rung. (Religion is what man does for God; the Gospel is what God did for man.)

Socionics
    ILI

Religion forms unity with those who practice it, but, in cases of more imperialistic religions, it creates conflict among those not within the union or community.

Quote Originally Posted by A window to the soul View Post
    Religion creates conflict because religion is man-made; unlike the Gospel, which is God-given. Religion is man trying to climb up the ladder of his own self-righteousness, with the hope of meeting God on the topmost rung; the Gospel is God coming down the ladder in the incarnation of Jesus Christ and meeting us sinners at the lowest rung. (Religion is what man does for God; the Gospel is what God did for man.)
    Christianity specifically teaches that Jesus is God, in fact the Second Person of the Trinity.

While Islam specifically teaches that Jesus is not God.

This is an irreconcilable conflict that cannot be resolved by evidence and inductive reason.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

The purpose of religion isnt to divide nations. The conflict is just the product of multiple religions, multiple answers, none of which can be proven, none of which can exist with another.