User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Permabanned

the optimist in me would like to believe that things like this even out.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

People are just nasty, greedy, violent primates that will justify their actions in whatever way is most convenient. If religion is handy, they'll use that. If not, they'll find something else. So six of one, half a dozen of the other, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Infinite Bubble

Sure, it unites, but the act of unition means differentiating and separating from all others, thus creating potential conflict. It is to say "I am not that, I am this", which is especially harmful where people's personal beliefs and values are concerned. I think control is a more fitting term than unity anyway.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Conflict exists, with or without religion.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    People are just nasty, greedy, violent primates that will justify their actions in whatever way is most convenient.
    I'm a person....

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I'm a person....
    Yup. Me too. If we want to be nice, we'll generally find some way to justify it and if we want to be mean, we'll likely do the same. Or that's what I've observed so far. I'm only about halfway through with this thing, I'm hoping.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'd love to see someone try to use the B'Hai faith to become a world dictator; the faith just isn't designed that way. Some religions though can be more easily exploited.
    This is true, Jennifer, but I was struck by something a world religious leader, the Dalai Lama, said the other day.

He said, he thought our only chance of a universal ethics is a secular ethics because there was no chance the various religions could agree on religious ethics.

There is some evidence for this because 57 religious nations have publicly and openly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

But I was struck because here we have a famous religious leader calling for secular ethics.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This is true, Jennifer, but I was struck by something a world religious leader, the Dalai Lama, said the other day.

He said, he thought our only chance of a universal ethics is a secular ethics because there was no chance the various religions could agree on religious ethics.

There is some evidence for this because 57 religious nations have publicly and openly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

But I was struck because here we have a famous religious leader calling for secular ethics.
    Which is why in the conservative faith I was part of, they would decry the Lama as a heretic and a misleader of people. Because he "doesn't believe in God." Or the right "God."

I think he makes sense, though.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Neither. I think both statements--that religions unite and that religions divide--are true, and neither is more true than the other.
    This ^

People are just nasty, greedy, violent primates that will justify their actions in whatever way is most convenient. If religion is handy, they'll use that. If not, they'll find something else. So six of one, half a dozen of the other, IMO.
    With a healthy dose of this ^

Undoubtedly there are those who use religion to divide, and they are doing religion wrong. That said, I kind of chuckle when I hear someone blame religion for all manner of atrocities in a way that presumes the world would be holding hands and singing Kumbaya if religion wasn't around. Awful people will be awful, and hateful people will find a way to separate and elevate themselves from those they find unworthy of kindness.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

There are exceptions to this. But yeah, in general, this does seem to be the case. I think the day I realized this, my heart broke irreparably.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.