User Tag List

12 Last

The Information Economy

It takes 600 people per day to work Typology Central.

This is the size of a medium business.

Some say the 600 are doing nothing, but others say the 600 are producing and sharing information.

Tot! Who would have thought the information economy would be so labour intensive?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I think that if I were paid to do this it would become much less fun.

That is what happened to me when I tried to go into graphic design. All of a sudden it became something I had to do instead of something I wanted to do.

I don't like to self-express as my main job... an important discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I think that if I were paid to do this it would become much less fun.

That is what happened to me when I tried to go into graphic design. All of a sudden it became something I had to do instead of something I wanted to do.

I don't like to self-express as my main job... an important discovery.
    Yes, it is worth while discovery that things are worthwhile doing for their own sake, for intrinsic reasons, rather than extrinsic reward.

This is why I favour a guaranteed minimum income for all, administered through the Tax Department, to give everyone the opportunity to do what they want rather than what they have to do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, it is worth while discovery that things are worthwhile doing for their own sake, for intrinsic reasons, rather than extrinsic reward.

This is why I favour a guaranteed minimum income for all, administered through the Tax Department, to give everyone the opportunity to do what they want rather than what they have to do.
    That would be lovely, wouldn't it.

I'm personally also in favor of an income cap, though I know many are against it.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

That would be lovely, wouldn't it.

I'm personally also in favor of an income cap, though I know many are against it.
    An income cap is a super-interesting idea. Am going to look into it more!

Mole, I think the field of law (at least in the US) is an example of how labor-intensive information-based jobs can be. Law firms employ a ton of paralegals, secretaries, lawyers, etc. So many people work on just one case, all of them billing tons of hours. Then again, a lot of people argue that lawyers don't actually do anything while billing for hours, but I think lawyers themselves feel they are worked to the bone.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    An income cap is a super-interesting idea. Am going to look into it more!
    It is... I understand why people are against it; they feel like it's not fair to limit personal success. I can absolutely see that. But if a cap is set at an incredibly high amount, then it is not really "limiting" a person's ability to actively use that income. The problem is when a handful of people monopolize a huge amount of resources, and the currency goes into savings, in particular when it leaves the country, as it no longer serves any public good, but is being siphoned away into a stagnant hole-in-the-ground equivalent. Some say it is unfair... but then again, how people are born into affluence or how people stumble into financial luck is not really fair, either. I feel that the amount of people who stand to gain so much compared to what just a few people stand to lose is overwhelmingly worth the trade. Unfortunately, the people in power are the ones who would have to choose this, and they are often under the thumb of the affluent...

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

It is... I understand why people are against it; they feel like it's not fair to limit personal success. I can absolutely see that. But if a cap is set at an incredibly high amount, then it is not really "limiting" a person's ability to actively use that income. The problem is when a handful of people monopolize a huge amount of resources, and the currency goes into savings, in particular when it leaves the country, as it no longer serves any public good, but is being siphoned away into a stagnant hole-in-the-ground equivalent. Some say it is unfair... but then again, how people are born into affluence or how people stumble into financial luck is not really fair, either. I feel that the amount of people who stand to gain so much compared to what just a few people stand to lose is overwhelmingly worth the trade. Unfortunately, the people in power are the ones who would have to choose this, and they are often under the thumb of the affluent...
    the goal of becoming rich isn't so that your money can "serve the public good". there is nothing wrong with wanting to become rich and store up your money for purely selfish reasons.

I can see your point from a consequentialist perspective, but morally....no.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    the goal of becoming rich isn't so that your money can "serve the public good". there is nothing wrong with wanting to become rich and store up your money for purely selfish reasons.
    This is a very common mindset in America, but surely you know there are many people out there who disagree.

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post

I can see your point from a consequentialist perspective, but morally....no.
    Do not forget that it is the public good that allows you to live... it provides the water you drink, electricity you use to see, it safeguards the food you eat, the air you breathe, it paves the roads you take to your workplace... the public good provides you laws to protect you and keep you alive long enough to save your money. It provides you with a market and a common language for communication and people who labor to uphold the world whose resources you manipulate for personal gain.

It is easy to dismiss, but none of us would survive for long if not for the support of one another, and it is only for the existence of the system that the billionaire may rise to his wealth. To deny that is more than selfish; it is a betrayal.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

I feel that the amount of people who stand to gain so much compared to what just a few people stand to lose is overwhelmingly worth the trade.
    I am in lockstep agreement with you on this. And everything else you said in that post, really. Btw, @skylights, have you seen this study that people stop reporting increases in happiness once they make $75,000/year?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...019628,00.html