User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Also people are so impressed with his whole "i think therefore I am'

COME ON.
    That would be Provoker:

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker
    The simplest proof I can conjour is as follows. I think. What thinks exists; for to doubt this is itself to think. Therefore, I exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    If you want to paraphrase the words of Rene Descartes, at least give him credit in your post.
    Provoker was INTJ. I think he may have considered Descartes INTJ, so he lapped up his words and spewed them out as his own.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Provoker was INTJ. I think he may have considered Descartes INTJ, so he lapped up his words and spewed them out as his own.
    Not familiar with the guy
    Perhaps it was a homage? I mean he pretty much quoted descartes. When I was younger I've often found myself coming to the same conclusions as scientists and philosophers on my own, though usually when that happens it doesn't look like im quoting someone.

Its interesting, when someone quotes someone else it is kind of apparent, their voice and posture slightly changes. etc.

See my issue with descartes is that he says this kind of things, and I think 'ok fair enough' I mean you can give counter arguments to anything right, and as far as this goes the argument is coherent.

And then he goes on to say some horseshit like 'therefore souls exist and animals are all machines that react exactly like humans to pain and that's proof they are machines'

and I go like 'wait, WHAT? What the hell, where did this come from you fruitcake'
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFJ

Rand
    “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.”
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion
    Likes Ursa liked this post

Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISFp Fi

don't really like donald trump all that much

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Kant and Rand both annoy me.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

I would say Rand, but the term "philosopher" elevates her work undeservedly.

Derrida.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

See my issue with descartes is that he says this kind of things, and I think 'ok fair enough' I mean you can give counter arguments to anything right, and as far as this goes the argument is coherent.

And then he goes on to say some horseshit like 'therefore souls exist and animals are all machines that react exactly like humans to pain and that's proof they are machines'

and I go like 'wait, WHAT? What the hell, where did this come from you fruitcake'
    There's a conspiracy theory that he only said the latter stuff to avoid angering the church, knowing that the former stuff would be enough of a seed to do what it did to the early modern philosophy that followed.

That's probably giving him too much credit (not that he doesn't deserve loads of credit, he can quite easily be attributed with starting modern philosophy and science as we know it, shaping the minds of everyone on this forum pretty drastically).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Hegel (he gets a lot of hate but deservedly so).
    Likes SpankyMcFly, sorenx7 liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    There's a conspiracy theory that he only said the latter stuff to avoid angering the church, knowing that the former stuff would be enough of a seed to do what it did to the early modern philosophy that followed.

That's probably giving him too much credit (not that he doesn't deserve loads of credit, he can quite easily be attributed with starting modern philosophy and science as we know it, shaping the minds of everyone on this forum pretty drastically).
    No. sorry. But alot of his ideas were pretty much around for thousands of years.
    Yes i get what you mean in terms of methodology but I doubt that this claim would stand up to scrutiny. (ie: the mirage that makes it look like people from long ago were geniuses until we find out that there were 60 other guys saying the same thing for the last 150 years and that guy just slightly improved on it or other factors came into play in making them famous and attributing the whole thing to them)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

No. sorry. But alot of his ideas were pretty much around for thousands of years.
    Yes i get what you mean in terms of methodology but I doubt that this claim would stand up to scrutiny. (ie: the mirage that makes it look like people from long ago were geniuses until we find out that there were 60 other guys saying the same thing for the last 150 years and that guy just slightly improved on it or other factors came into play in making them famous and attributing the whole thing to them)
    There's the counter-mirage that looking for a similar idea being said is seeking confirmation rather than contradiction, i.e. you're always going to find 60 other guys saying the same thing due to randomness/complexity.

(and then a counter-counter and side-mirages etc.)