User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 24

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    92

    Default Questions about coincidence

    How do you explain coincidence or synchronicity? Are coincidences random or do they have some sort of meaning? What causes them to happen?

    On a similar note, do you believe that we create reality? Are we able to manifest thought? And if so, what then is reality?

  2. #2
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default It's Chance.

    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    How do you explain coincidence or synchronicity? Are coincidences random or do they have some sort of meaning? What causes them to happen?
    It's just that we notice when things coincide. And we don't notice when things don't coincide. And so we start to see patterns where none exist.

    Chance can be understood quite easily in Statistics.

    So it is chance that exists rather than coincidence or synchronicity.

    V.

  3. #3
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default So it's chance and reality

    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    On a similar note, do you believe that we create reality? Are we able to manifest thought? And if so, what then is reality?
    Reality remains the same no matter what we think.

    V.

  4. #4
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    How do you explain coincidence or synchronicity? Are coincidences random or do they have some sort of meaning? What causes them to happen?

    On a similar note, do you believe that we create reality? Are we able to manifest thought? And if so, what then is reality?
    I believe everything has meaning. We just need to recognize it, which usually happens when you have enough distance away from the time/topic to notice.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Reality remains the same no matter what we think.

    V.
    Then we don't create it. There is no reality? Only our perception?

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Chance can be understood quite easily in Statistics.

    So it is chance that exists rather than coincidence or synchronicity.

    V.
    Will you please write a little more about this?

  7. #7
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Synchronicity.. coincidence.. I am inclined to believe are a product of heightened awareness, which is most desirable.

  8. #8
    Member hiddengem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    79

    Default

    I prefer to recognize positive coincidences such as my favorite you-and-I-are-made-for-each-other song playing on the radio when I am having a "discussion" with my sweetie. On the other hand, if it is the you-broke-my-heart-and-I'm-leaving type, then it is just a random event that I ignore.

    I think that we create our own reality to a certain degree or at least what our perception of that reality is. No two people are going to see the same event in the same way. Each will see what they believe to be true.

  9. #9
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    How do you explain coincidence or synchronicity? Are coincidences random or do they have some sort of meaning? What causes them to happen?

    On a similar note, do you believe that we create reality? Are we able to manifest thought? And if so, what then is reality?
    I view time as a sloshing fluid so coincidence, even deja vu, occur at a high rate with me. There are times when I'd be writing down a word - a really odd word like "gerrymander" - and someone on the TV will say it at the exact moment. Utterly bizarre. It happens to me constantly.

    I also find as an NF I have difficulty believing in anything having no meaning or less meaning than my Ni is plucking from it.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  10. #10
    Free-Rangin' Librarian Jae Rae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I view time as a sloshing fluid so coincidence, even deja vu, occur at a high rate with me. There are times when I'd be writing down a word - a really odd word like "gerrymander" - and someone on the TV will say it at the exact moment. Utterly bizarre. It happens to me constantly.

    I also find as an NF I have difficulty believing in anything having no meaning or less meaning than my Ni is plucking from it.
    The other night we were watching Juno; her boyfriend says of another girl that she "smells like soup." I'd never before heard anyone described in that way. The very next night we watched a British mini-series in which one of the characters says to a girl that she smells like soup.

    I also have a heightened awareness of synchronicity and coincidence, which feel meaningful to me, even if they're random.
    Last edited by Jae Rae; 07-05-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: clarity
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] INFJ - Question about your inner monolouge
    By Shinzon in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 12:40 AM
  2. 3 questions about MBTI
    By alcea rosea in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 08:49 AM
  3. Quick question about a concert venue...
    By Cindyrella in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 01:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO