User Tag List

First 123

Default Agreeable

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Coincidentally, I agree with Victor. The mind remembers the odd occasion when there is coincidence and doesn't remember all the gazillion (a highly technical term) times when there wasn't anything remarkable happening.
    How nice you agree with me Bluebell. How agreeable you are.

Synchronicity is part of the New Age Religion and it flies in the face of everything we know about chance. And we know an awful lot about chance. For instance Quantum Mechanics is based on chance.

How strange we all long for the hidden meanings but how few of us will go and read a book on Statistics.

I suspect the hidden meanings are hidden in ourselves. I think we are capable of hiding part of ourselves from ourselves. But rather than look within, we quite naturally look without and see coincidences everywhere.

The two genders were explained by the Ancient Greeks as one whole person split into two genders, so we are constantly looking for our other half. But it may be that we just see the hidden part of ourselves reflected in the other person.

So it may be, Bluebell, that you are so agreeable because you reflect the hidden part of myself.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I suspect the hidden meanings are hidden in ourselves. I think we are capable of hiding part of ourselves from ourselves. But rather than look within, we quite naturally look without and see coincidences everywhere.

The two genders were explained by the Ancient Greeks as one whole person split into two genders, so we are constantly looking for our other half. But it may be that we just see the hidden part of ourselves reflected in the other person.

So it may be, Bluebell, that you are so agreeable because you reflect the hidden part of myself.
    That was more or less the point I got out of that synchronicity book I posted above. It's not the coincidences themselves that have any true meaning, it's our interpretation which tells us more about ourselves than about the object of the coincidence.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post

[...] how the human race knows many archetypes collected over the years into what he calls the "collective unconscious," and then there's some metaphysical speculation as to the nature of the collective unconscious and so forth.

[...]
    Here it is an illustration of the interconnection of human minds, as conceived by Jung.

The conscious minds of individuals seem separated, as islands are separated by the ocean. Below the 'surface' each individual has a personal unconscious mind that is similarly isolated. But at the deepest level each mind merges with the collective unconscious - a shared racial memory that unites individuals as the ocean floor links the world's islands.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by the.blanket.on.top View Post
    Here it is an illustration of the interconnection of human minds, as conceived by Jung.

The conscious minds of individuals seem separated, as islands are separated by the ocean. Below the 'surface' each individual has a personal unconscious mind that is similarly isolated. But at the deepest level each mind merges with the collective unconscious - a shared racial memory that unites individuals as the ocean floor links the world's islands.
    ok... not to attack you...you might or might not even belief this, (you could just be presenting a cool idea...which is great!) but with what mechanism did Jung propose this all work? Like, how exactly does this collective unconscious communicate? Are there Conscioutrons running from brain to brain?