• Freud

3 30.00%
  • Jung

7 70.00%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Freud or Jung?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I really dont think either is over rated to be honest, I also would say that Jung would have made out rightly without Freud, there's a lot of theorising by each of them which was happening in parallel.
    I find a lot of psychology to be an over-explanation of common sense, which, when contemplated, sometimes creates a counterproductive "sucking" of ones own soul.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Yup, I am. But he says stuff that sounds like he might be into Freud a lot. I don't know for certain, but it's a hunch I have.
    That's odd, his strict liberal, feminist, Australian nationalist schtick wouldnt appear to fit with any Freudianism.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I find a lot of psychology to be an over-explanation of common sense, which, when contemplated, sometimes creates a counterproductive "sucking" of ones own soul.
    Hmm, no, I dont think so. Perhaps some of the more light weight stuff created by Carl Rogers and co. then again that may uncharitable given that those trends need to be understood in context and in contrast to what preceeded them.

There is a difference between most of the psychology and self help or big tent thinkers, whatever you think of Dale Carnegie and Norman Vincent they are certainly not Freud or Jung, in terms of literary value alone, and Freud has been reinvented as a literary theorist much in the way Marx has been, I dont think that's just about book sales.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I really dont know how accurate that movie is, really it was Freud that had more controversaries with clients, going so far as to suggest that an entire therapeutic technique be developed as a result of them, the whole sitting behind out of sight of the client on the couch.
    I'm not certain either, but I do know that they had a falling out. It was interesting to get insights as to what that falling out might have been about.

That's odd, his strict liberal, feminist, Australian nationalist schtick wouldnt appear to fit with any Freudianism.
    You'd be surprised where some Freudian ideas seem to turn up. Some feminists seem to have odd Neo-Freudian theories on the origin of the patriarchy, for instance. Granted, they are often tweaked quite a bit... penis envy becomes womb envy, for instance.

I know that I have heard Victor speak of a "death instinct."

Erich Fromm wrote about this exact thing you've mentioned, attacking the developing "party line" position of some of its leading lights, he thought it mirrored developments among Marxists and other grand theories, without thinking that grand theorising was bad per se.
    I think this is the second time you have tried to point me in his direction. I'll start with the wiki article.

Not for a Ti-dom, it doesn't!
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Ginkgo

Thanks for illustrating my point. haha.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Thanks for illustrating my point. haha.
    Trust me... my soul died a long time ago. If I ever had it to begin with....
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm not certain either, but I do know that they had a falling out. It was interesting to get insights as to what that falling out might have been about.

You'd be surprised where some Freudian ideas seem to turn up. Some feminists seem to have odd Neo-Freudian theories on the origin of the patriarchy, for instance. Granted, they are often tweaked quite a bit... penis envy becomes womb envy, for instance.

I think this is the second time you have tried to point me in his direction. I'll start with the wiki article.

Jung was meant to be the inheritor to Freud's legacy but Freud thought he wasnt orthodox enough in his views, things unravelled from there and differences over atheism vs. theism and occultism were a major factor too, it got pretty bitter, I mean Freud and some of his biggest fans accused Jung of anti-semitism and that's not over yet.

The womb envy thing stems from Karen Horney and it was not a big part of her theory, he wrote a book on feminine psychology which was a sort of deconstruction and literary critique of Freud, she had developed fresh theories from reflection upon her own experience largely but with the insights from Freud and other psychologists, anyway, she simply said that Freud's theory of penis envy was mistaken and used the idea of womb envy to "prove" it. Maybe there's been feminists since, Kate Millet maybe, who have insisted upon the point, there's other feminists who suggest do hold that there's an envy at the heart of patriarchy but they use literary inversions, like the one in the Genesis story in which God makes woman from one of adam's ribs, other than Freud.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Jung was meant to be the inheritor to Freud's legacy but Freud thought he wasnt orthodox enough in his views, things unravelled from there and differences over atheism vs. theism and occultism were a major factor too, it got pretty bitter, I mean Freud and some of his biggest fans accused Jung of anti-semitism and that's not over yet.

The womb envy thing stems from Karen Horney and it was not a big part of her theory, he wrote a book on feminine psychology which was a sort of deconstruction and literary critique of Freud, she had developed fresh theories from reflection upon her own experience largely but with the insights from Freud and other psychologists, anyway, she simply said that Freud's theory of penis envy was mistaken and used the idea of womb envy to "prove" it. Maybe there's been feminists since, Kate Millet maybe, who have insisted upon the point, there's other feminists who suggest do hold that there's an envy at the heart of patriarchy but they use literary inversions, like the one in the Genesis story in which God makes woman from one of adam's ribs, other than Freud.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

Frankl just because

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post
    Frankl just because