Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Freud

3 30.00%
  • Jung

7 70.00%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Freud or Jung?

I voted Jung. I think he's the better theorist and whereas a lot of Freud's theory is passe to be honest Jung's still challenges the boundaries of philosophy and spirituality or science.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

It may seem a moot question, but it's interesting to me how Freud gets accorded more respect by some people, as though his ideas have acquired a level of empirical confirmation that they never actually achieved.

Neither has been proven right, really, but one seems less ridiculous.

Also, Keira Knightley's overacting notwithstanding, I enjoyed A Dangerous Method.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    It may seem a moot question, but it's interesting to me how Freud gets accorded more respect by some people, as though his ideas have acquired a level of empirical confirmation that they never actually achieved.

Neither has been proven right, really, but one seems much less ridiculous than the other.
    I think its just going along with the times...in 50 years its possible Jung will look bad too. In fact he probably will, his ideas at least. In the meantime, here we are.

Or maybe its because this is a typology forum, hence anyone who says Freud over Jund gets ostracisized.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think its just going along with the times...in 50 years its possible Jung will look bad too. In fact he probably will, his ideas at least.

Or maybe its because this is a typology forum.
    Yet we have at least one member who hates Jung with a passion (I don't know why that person hangs out here, either). I wonder if this is because that member prefers Freud (which I suspect to be the case). I also wonder if we have other disciples of Freud.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Yet we have at least one member who hates Jung with a passion (I don't know why that person hangs out here, either). I wonder if this is because that member prefers Freud (which I suspect to be the case). I also wonder if we have other disciples of Freud.
    Heh. That is odd. I've noticed some people hang out on forums in which they have no interest in if it wasnt for habit, though not sure what got them started.

I dont hate Jung, btw, like I said he has his merits as thinker and if it wasnt for him I wouldnt be here(on this forum), though Im not sure I get today's Freud bashing either.

Ginkgo

Jung, but if it weren't for Freud, Jungian psychology as we know it may not even exist. Jung's reasons for creating typological systems were in part due to his need to explain his disagreements with Freud... funny how things work. Overall I'm choosing Jung because I think his work is the product of a painstaking level of inquiry and introspection; I can respect that level of dedication. However, I also think both of them are extremely overrated.

Neither has been proven right, really, but one seems less ridiculous.

Also, Keira Knightley's overacting notwithstanding, I enjoyed A Dangerous Method.
    I really dont know how accurate that movie is, really it was Freud that had more controversaries with clients, going so far as to suggest that an entire therapeutic technique be developed as a result of them, the whole sitting behind out of sight of the client on the couch.

Seriously, you would not believe the major controversaries between his followers about whether or not they should sit across from the client, make eye contact, show any emotional response, light years behind the discussions of today about self-disclosure, telling the truth vs. attempts at value neutrality.

Erich Fromm wrote about this exact thing you've mentioned, attacking the developing "party line" position of some of its leading lights, he thought it mirrored developments among Marxists and other grand theories, without thinking that grand theorising was bad per se.

There's a lot, lot more to Jung than typology.

If you're talking about Victor I always assumed it was just Victor's whole hatred of religion and religiosity extended to Jung because he wasnt an atheist like Freud.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Jung, but if it weren't for Freud, Jungian psychology as we know it may not even exist. Jung's reasons for creating typological systems were in part due to his need to explain his disagreements with Freud... funny how things work. Overall I'm choosing Jung because I think his work is the product of a painstaking level of inquiry and introspection; I can respect that level of dedication. However, I also think both of them are extremely overrated.
    I really dont think either is over rated to be honest, I also would say that Jung would have made out rightly without Freud, there's a lot of theorising by each of them which was happening in parallel.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's a lot, lot more to Jung than typology.

If you're talking about Victor I always assumed it was just Victor's whole hatred of religion and religiosity extended to Jung because he wasnt an atheist like Freud.
    Yup, I am. But he says stuff that sounds like he might be into Freud a lot. I don't know for certain, but it's a hunch I have.

Visit my Johari: