User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Default Why do we enjoy the suffering of others?

I witnessed people being bullied throughout my time in school and still see it verbally in university. I noticed teachers being indifferent and students laughing so coldly it almost spooked me literally about 10 guys absolutely insulting one guy for no reason and threatening him everyone laughing along with the main instigators. I tried to stand up for people in high school but was threatened with violence. I see the same in university but this time it is exclusively verbal. The common factor in these situations is that I notice people laughing as if it was comedy show, is out of fear ? are weak people just fun to laugh at ? I speak as a person who has witnessed it, been a victim, stood up for others and done nothing.

Why are we so cold to each other? sure we see our friends, go to the movies, play sports, donate or volunteer to charities but when humans see suffering right in front of them it seems they almost want to look away.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

People like being part of a group. Sometimes, the best way to do that is by picking someone to exclude, it seems. If a bunch of people appear to have nothing in common, they can all share that they are not that guy in common.

A lot of it is fear, too.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes labyrinthine, Chrysanthe liked this post

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Its cowardice.
    Likes Fate, labyrinthine liked this post

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I think it's a certain inability to see beyond one's self. The gratification of being applauded for good insults by others or feelings of superiority felt are more real to them than the damage being done to the victims.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes Legion liked this post

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Its cowardice.
    Definitely, is this a part of humanity that just has to be accepted I struggle to acknowledge it without some sadness.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    People like being part of a group. Sometimes, the best way to do that is by picking someone to exclude, it seems. If a bunch of people appear to have nothing in common, they can all share that they are not that guy in common.

This describes some of the things I see but, those who do it at least in my experience were popular and well adjusted what do they have to lose by not treating someone like this I wonder

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post

This describes some of the things I see but, those who do it at least in my experience were popular and well adjusted what do they have to lose by not treating someone like this I wonder

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    I think it's a certain inability to see beyond one's self. The gratification of being applauded for good insults by others or feelings of superiority felt are more real to them than the damage being done to the victims.
    That's the essence of what I see but the one's who do this usually are surrounded by friends with an audience willing to laugh and not challenge them, what can they gain from someone who is already considered weak in that particular environment.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by human101 View Post
    That's the essence of what I see but the one's who do this usually are surrounded by friends with an audience willing to laugh and not challenge them, what can they gain from someone who is already considered weak in that particular environment.
    Feelings of superiority for sure. Also being a member of a group can help diffuse feelings of personal responsibility for behavior any of the individuals might now engage in on their own.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Bullies often feel justified because they were bullied too. And on it goes...