User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx

I don't enjoy watching anyone suffer and I don't agree with people who do, for any reason. We should be trying to help people in any way we can, even if it isn't much. I'm going to start carrying water bottles with me whenever I leave the house and hand them out to people who are stuck out in the heat. It's still ~90 degrees over here. Hell, even just stopping and thanking my university's landscapers who get paid crappy wages to work out in the heat in the middle of the day represents the smallest of gestures that we all should be doing to help others feel a little less miserable each day.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hijynx View Post
    I agree that it has to do with empathy, but I wouldn't say it's projection. I think some people want others to suffer as a way to make others feel what they feel. So essentially it's a way of forcing others to empathize with you.

"Now do you see? Now you feel my pain. Now you understand."

At least, that's how I am when I'm in that mode. *edit* Not that I bully people, but you get the idea.
    I think the world is big enough for both our views to be applicable.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't know that 'we' do, meaning that I don't although I'm sure others do. I do enjoy seeing people suffer in their struggles towards growth, I get a specific feeling of solidarity and maybe just a hint of fuzzy sadism if I've been in that place before. I don't get any joy out of seeing people suffer for suffering's sake.