User Tag List

First 345

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Kant was a believer.

Anyway, the ways in which I've seen the so called enlightenment used and abused the whole thing is something which alienates me now. Whatever good the ideas which were trending then they did not fufil any hopes, dreams and promises.
    Well, the Enlightenment gave us the values of freedom and equality, and bore fruit with the abolition of slavery, the emancipation of women, and as you read, legal protection of children from child abuse.

And the Enlightenment gave us the method of evidence and reason, bearing fruit in evidence based medicine, science and technology.

But most interestingly the Enlightenment gave us a new way of thinking, called counter-intuitive, bearing fruit in liberal democracy, modern economics, exploration, and modern art.

But even more interesting is that the Enlightenment was based on print, but today the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries is being subsumed into the electric global village.

So the Enlightenment gave us the literate individual, while electronics gives us the electric tribe in the global village.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Well, the Enlightenment gave us the values of freedom and equality, and bore fruit with the abolition of slavery, the emancipation of women, and as you read, legal protection of children from child abuse.

And the Enlightenment gave us the method of evidence and reason, bearing fruit in evidence based medicine, science and technology.

But most interestingly the Enlightenment gave us a new way of thinking, called counter-intuitive, bearing fruit in liberal democracy, modern economics, exploration, and modern art.

But even more interesting is that the Enlightenment was based on print, but today the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries is being subsumed into the electric global village.

So the Enlightenment gave us the literate individual, while electronics gives us the electric tribe in the global village.
    Welcome back Mole.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

you'd been missing there for a while Victor Mole, good to see you're still with us, I didnt read you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
    Welcome back Mole.
    I have returned to Saudade.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    you'd been missing there for a while Victor Mole, good to see you're still with us, I didnt read you post.
    There's no need to read my posts, Irish Lark, they are quite happy to slip into the darkness, and there is no need, absolutely no need, to fear the dark.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm inclined to agree.

I think everyone has their limits--where money alone will NOT be able to buy something from someone. I think it's almost unusual to have absolutely no value or thing you clutch onto where money cannot touch that realm. For some it is their morals, for some it's their family, etc. etc. But, for the most part, money speaks volumes. I'd do a lot of crazy things for money--not because I value it--but because I value what I can accomplish with it. If that amount outweighs my current prerogatives, then yeah, I can absolutely be bought. Those hypothetical "Would you go gay for x dollars" or "would you do x job for x money" and all that.

Outside of money? Everyone, absolutely everyone, has a breaking point. A point where their mortality, personality, and condition can only carry them so far. And thus, I believe, everyone has a price.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think people are priceless and life is sacred.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

First of all, the OP is not directly about torture. It doesn't even imply it. Of course, people will do and say things in that state that they they would not otherwise. But lets put that aside and answer the question as asked.
    I for one, find many things in the world to be without direct monetary value for me, things like art, music, poetry, literature. If human kind had not these things, we would be no different than alligators or other instinct-bound creatures in our appetitive drive for satiety, which for humans might mean having a BMW and a Rolex, etc.
    But we are meaning makers. We don't just exist to acquire more stuff. The exemplars among us a driven by other forces, and this is laudable and worthy of admiration. This drive to turn us all into Machiavellian, bottom line thinkers is anathema to my beliefs.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

my answer to this has always been bs!! but i just said maybe to the 1yr in prison for 5 mil. so i'm full of shit i suppose. :/
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison