User Tag List

First 2345 Last

There are things I won't do, that no amount of money, praise, fame, pride, personal safety, etc. will change. For everything else, I'll do anything if the price is right.

To be honest this whole idea disgusts and alienates me but probably because I hate the extent to which the economic and market metaphors have crept into every single side of life and decision anyone can make.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest this whole idea disgusts and alienates me but probably because I hate the extent to which the economic and market metaphors have crept into every single side of life and decision anyone can make.
    Good gracious, me too! The title of this thread makes me feel icky.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Good gracious, me too! The title of this thread makes me feel icky.
    I think it implies that people are cheap, people are objects and to be bought and sold.

garbage

Everything's subject to cost/benefit analysis, sure. It just turns out that some trades have costs that are way too high for them to be worth an ounce of consideration.

I think it implies that people are cheap, people are objects and to be bought and sold.
    I guess it is the basis of thought such. Too bad people don't often rationalize how people aren't this instead. I guess that's their choice though.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Everything's subject to cost/benefit analysis, sure.
    Sure, but sometimes there are better explanations or reasons for things. Cost/benefit analysis is often very negative and over-analytical when applied to people and human relationships.

Yes, we can think of ourselves as children of God and so beyond price. And as well we can think of ourselves as children of the Enlightenment who are free and equal and not resources to be bought and sold.

And we can know we are not means to an end, but ends in ourselves.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post

Kant would be proud of you.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I guess it is the basis of thought such. Too bad people don't often rationalize how people aren't this instead. I guess that's their choice though.

Sure, but sometimes there are better explanations or reasons for things. Cost/benefit analysis is often very negative and over-analytical when applied to people and human relationships.
    I actually like reason with human relationships, it could positively influence what most people think of as love and intimate social relationships too, what I detest is that the import of financial or fiscal analogies or metaphor in the manner of this thread are never done so in order to make important points about the limits of markets or capitalism or that other values should be naturally ascendent or superior to the market values but rather to cheapen human beings and make them commodities.

Although I kind of feel the battle has, unfortunately, been lost, moralists and religionists are dismissed on the left for cultural reasons, on the right for fiscal reasons and all in all it benefits the plutonomy's masters as they buy and sell people like beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, we can think of ourselves as children of God and so beyond price. And as well we can think of ourselves as children of the Enlightenment who are free and equal and not resources to be bought and sold.

Kant was a believer.

Anyway, the ways in which I've seen the so called enlightenment used and abused the whole thing is something which alienates me now. Whatever good the ideas which were trending then they did not fufil any hopes, dreams and promises.