• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

YAYYY, My Book Finally Arrived!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that being overly attacthed to any ideology, without felxibity or adaptability to reality will make you depressed, and Ayn Rand didnt seem like the person who had much adaptability to reality in her ideals. Still, Im not a psychologist so as to explain why exatcly she was depressed.

Even Ayn Rand, Barbara Branden (1965) tells us in her biographical essay on the founder of Objectivism, often became depressed when minor interruptions prevented her from working. Depression, almost invariably, is a reflection of an individual's low estimation of himself, because the depressed individual feels that (a) "Things are going badly in my life," and (b) "I am too weak and inadequate to handle these things or make them better, and therefore I am a pretty bad person." When the individual insists that, because he works hard, or accomplishes something, or is good at winning the love of others, or achieves anything else, he is a worthy individual, he tends to make himself depressed when one or more of these clauses on which his self-esteem depends are no longer true, If he follows the Objectivist credo and places his self-worth on the balance scales of achievement, he tends to remain underlying anxious and depressed even when his life is a fine model of productivity. For he will always have moment -- or years! -- when this productivity does -- or may! -- subside.​

Is Objectivism a Religion? (Ellis, 39-40)