User Tag List

First 234

Quote Originally Posted by unicorncandy View Post
    Yes, that is exactly right. The trauma of physical and emotional abuse is actually stuck in your body, because that is where we hold it. When you are in a situation that reminds you of the moments just before, during, or after you were abused and all the thoughts of people in and around that, you might get "triggered" and you might feel lonely and vulnerable like you did back then. What you need to do is strengthen your core sense of self and get rid of all the negative beliefs that the abuse "taught" you about life.

I have been working through my childhood abuse in a PTSD workbook and it helped a lot. After I worked on a section I would crack my neck or feet (for some weird reason, I used to dance ballet after I was abused) and feel like I had released something huge. My life perspective has changed since doing so. It brought me to some really dark places, so I ended up getting a therapist who specializes in EMDR, trauma, and PTSD. It has only been a few weeks and my life perspective has changed so much. I think the point is to remember and learn how to overcome the memories and integrate them into your current life and state of mind in a positive way. Suppressing the memories hasn't worked thus far for me (I'm 28), but since working through it, I've seen such a change in my response to life.

If you work through your trauma, do it with a support group or a therapist, because it can get really dark and you will need to cry and release it out of your body. I don't know why people think mental issues are some metaphysical thing. The brain is part of the body and trauma gets stuck in the body as well. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    I'm not sure being bullied as a child...however long that bullying went on, constitutes something that leads to PTSD. The experience was was terrifying at times, especially being a tiny 12 year old being manhandled by a large 17 year old on a regular basis. However, this is not something I remember terribly clearly. I just know I hated it.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I'm not sure being bullied as a child...however long that bullying went on, constitutes something that leads to PTSD. The experience was was terrifying at times, especially being a tiny 12 year old being manhandled by a large 17 year old on a regular basis. However, this is not something I remember terribly clearly. I just know I hated it.
    Well, I don't want to confuse you, I'm just throwing things out there that I know. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
    "In matters of truth and justice, there is no difference between large and small problems, for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same." - Einstein