• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is humanity a bit special?

Lark

I got through watching another bad Ben Steller movie, this one featured an alien invasion, there was an alien within it who decided to betray their own kind and fight alongside the humans to prevent the invasion and save humanity, now there was the suggestion that he was a bit of a freak and into human ladies but he stated that he was impressed with humanity and was why he was making that call.

It got me thinking, its not the first time I've seen that theme, I remember in the original (decent) series of V there was an alien collaborator in the human resistance who was a religiously motivated outcast who didnt eat meat like the other lizards and who was prepared to betray his people to defend humanity too. There was also an episode of either the outlimits or twilight zone in which a guy discover that he as a deep cover agent for an invasion fleet, I think in the end being revealed as a giant ant headed bug or some kind, he goes totally crazy because he cant accept he's an alien and totally believes he human.

So my question is if you were an alien from another, vaguely humanoid species, part of an invasion force, are there enough redeeming qualities about humanity to make you want to betray your own? What would it take for you to think this way? What would the relevent criteria or factors be for you feeling how you feel?

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Uh, there's enough redeeming qualities about pretty much any species that I would betray my own for in favor of, y'know, not supporting invasion and massive displacement or genocide.

But humanity's track record on that kinda thing also, well, sucks, so I'm not sure about your question. I'd defect to a species that just chills the hell out and doesn't try to invade anyone.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Of course humanity is special. Then again, so is every flower petal or drop of rain..

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I dislike the premise that the aliens would be vaguely humanoid. I like them completely removed from our frame of reference.

That's what makes them alien.

Lark

I dislike the premise that the aliens would be vaguely humanoid. I like them completely removed from our frame of reference.

That's what makes them alien.

Well I was going for the idea that they would be close enough to being like us for it to make sense, if they were like totally alien or were not sentient in the same way, like for instance the hive mind or ants like in Aliens, then, well, the question cant really be made, you understand?

Maybe it shouldnt be vaguely humanoid but definitely humanoid, not a bacteria or anything either.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Well I was going for the idea that they would be close enough to being like us for it to make sense, if they were like totally alien or were not sentient in the same way, like for instance the hive mind or ants like in Aliens, then, well, the question cant really be made, you understand?

Maybe it shouldnt be vaguely humanoid but definitely humanoid, not a bacteria or anything either.

Oh I understand, in fact I wasn't sure how to post what I posted without basically making a redundant point to the original questions. So I just did it anyhow because we all like a bit of attention.

In any case for me it would depend upon my alien culture, I would like to say that the glimmers of common striving and acknowledgement of that striving in others with those humans who could get past the walls and shit we throw up between each other, would tip the favour of humanity in my eyes.

Life strives, struggles to be and sometimes life needs a rest from striving and with those we trust and care about we find that brief respite.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Uh, there's enough redeeming qualities about pretty much any species that I would betray my own for in favor of, y'know, not supporting invasion and massive displacement or genocide.
This :yes:

Mole

Permabanned
So my question is if you were an alien from another, vaguely humanoid species, part of an invasion force, are there enough redeeming qualities about humanity to make you want to betray your own? What would it take for you to think this way? What would the relevent criteria or factors be for you feeling how you feel?

Well, we are meaning creating animals. And MI5 has experience in turning some members of the enemy into our agents.

This requirs a high degree of skill in creating the right meaning that will turn an enemy into a spy for us.

I think only the most inexperienced member of MI5 would use our 'redeeming qualities' to turn an agent.

Lark

Oh I understand, in fact I wasn't sure how to post what I posted without basically making a redundant point to the original questions. So I just did it anyhow because we all like a bit of attention.

In any case for me it would depend upon my alien culture, I would like to say that the glimmers of common striving and acknowledgement of that striving in others with those humans who could get past the walls and shit we throw up between each other, would tip the favour of humanity in my eyes.

Life strives, struggles to be and sometimes life needs a rest from striving and with those we trust and care about we find that brief respite.

I suppose this might raise the interesting further question about whether or not you would betray your human culture if it were invading another alien civilisation, if the role was reversed?

SoraMayhem

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I suppose this might raise the interesting further question about whether or not you would betray your human culture if it were invading another alien civilisation, if the role was reversed?

In an instant.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because humans never invade other civilisations. Only in sci-fi fantasy could such a thing happen.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Because humans never invade other civilisations. Only in sci-fi fantasy could such a thing happen.

So do you think the limitations of humanity will stop it from ever expanding or even encountering other civilisations?

I'm of the view that the universe is perhaps too vast for us to expand into before we destroy ourselves, besides the variables in what form another sentient species might take on another planet are incomparably numerous.

Although having said all this, humanity is about as special as fermented milk cheese, since both are a collection of cells.

Lark

So do you think the limitations of humanity will stop it from ever expanding or even encountering other civilisations?

I'm of the view that the universe is perhaps too vast for us to expand into before we destroy ourselves, besides the variables in what form another sentient species might take on another planet are incomparably numerous.

Although having said all this, humanity is about as special as fermented milk cheese, since both are a collection of cells.

Are you saying that for shits and giggles or are you serious? If you're serious in what sense do you mean that?

I think that sci fi has been a uniquely brilliant medium for reflections upon humankind as a whole and the cosmos. That's before you get onto the whole inner space genre like PKD's work.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We're special because we are acutely aware of our own mortality.

SoraMayhem

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So you wouldnt betray another alien culture and would betray your human culture if it was invading an alien world?

Wait, I said I'd betray any culture that wanted to invade any other culture.

Standuble

I wouldn't shun a civilisation who wanted to conquer another species. In the end an unpleasant journey could give birth to a more favourable outcome and watching humanity be enslaved may be difficult but it would make available new possibilities. My opinions are merely that.

In regards to asking whether humanity is special my answer is that it is different from the other life here but special in some hypothetical galactic community? I reckon we would be mediocre.

In regards to whether an alien would favour humanity over its own species that is down to a) its pre-disposition to attachment and sentiment b) its level of exposure and c) whether a and b conflict with a seperate group of attachment and sentiment. It's easy to say they would defend humanity if their other object of attachment could remain unharmed but what if they had to choose and one must die with the alien species facing extinction if it cannot conquer? I think most would turn away from their human exposure and help the aliens (difficult decisions is where we show what we truly are.)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Considering that if I were an alien, raised in an alien culture, I'd have a completely different background and would have been raised in a different set of mores and beliefs, how could I even answer that? I wouldn't be me, so there's no way to know that :shrug:

On the other hand, humans are only special in fiction because the producers of the fiction are humans and the fiction is produced to be consumed by other humans. What's the point of existing if we aren't special is the idea behind it, I guess. :)

Mole

Permabanned
Aliens are likely to have different senses than we do. And so we would have difficulty in just perceiving one another, never mind understanding one another.