User Tag List

First 123 Last

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I suppose this might raise the interesting further question about whether or not you would betray your human culture if it were invading another alien civilisation, if the role was reversed?
    In an instant.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Because humans never invade other civilisations. Only in sci-fi fantasy could such a thing happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Because humans never invade other civilisations. Only in sci-fi fantasy could such a thing happen.
    So do you think the limitations of humanity will stop it from ever expanding or even encountering other civilisations?

I'm of the view that the universe is perhaps too vast for us to expand into before we destroy ourselves, besides the variables in what form another sentient species might take on another planet are incomparably numerous.

Although having said all this, humanity is about as special as fermented milk cheese, since both are a collection of cells.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SoraMayhem View Post
    In an instant.
    So you wouldnt betray another alien culture and would betray your human culture if it was invading an alien world?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    So do you think the limitations of humanity will stop it from ever expanding or even encountering other civilisations?

I'm of the view that the universe is perhaps too vast for us to expand into before we destroy ourselves, besides the variables in what form another sentient species might take on another planet are incomparably numerous.

Although having said all this, humanity is about as special as fermented milk cheese, since both are a collection of cells.
    Are you saying that for shits and giggles or are you serious? If you're serious in what sense do you mean that?

I think that sci fi has been a uniquely brilliant medium for reflections upon humankind as a whole and the cosmos. That's before you get onto the whole inner space genre like PKD's work.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

We're special because we are acutely aware of our own mortality.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    So you wouldnt betray another alien culture and would betray your human culture if it was invading an alien world?
    Wait, I said I'd betray any culture that wanted to invade any other culture.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

I wouldn't shun a civilisation who wanted to conquer another species. In the end an unpleasant journey could give birth to a more favourable outcome and watching humanity be enslaved may be difficult but it would make available new possibilities. My opinions are merely that.

In regards to asking whether humanity is special my answer is that it is different from the other life here but special in some hypothetical galactic community? I reckon we would be mediocre.

In regards to whether an alien would favour humanity over its own species that is down to a) its pre-disposition to attachment and sentiment b) its level of exposure and c) whether a and b conflict with a seperate group of attachment and sentiment. It's easy to say they would defend humanity if their other object of attachment could remain unharmed but what if they had to choose and one must die with the alien species facing extinction if it cannot conquer? I think most would turn away from their human exposure and help the aliens (difficult decisions is where we show what we truly are.)

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Considering that if I were an alien, raised in an alien culture, I'd have a completely different background and would have been raised in a different set of mores and beliefs, how could I even answer that? I wouldn't be me, so there's no way to know that

On the other hand, humans are only special in fiction because the producers of the fiction are humans and the fiction is produced to be consumed by other humans. What's the point of existing if we aren't special is the idea behind it, I guess.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Aliens are likely to have different senses than we do. And so we would have difficulty in just perceiving one another, never mind understanding one another.