Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
Well, yeah... people often use the word "Neo Noir" to describe the movie. It even has a Los Angeles setting like all those Humfrey Bogart movies. Between this and Roger Rabbit, the period seems to have an interest in playing around with Noir. I'm sure two movies constitute a trend.
You'll find a lot of '70s and '80s sci-fi has '30s-'50s tropes or is a remake or adaptation of an older work. Star Wars is blatant homage to '30s and '40s serials. That spawned Battlestar Galactica. The same production crew did the remake of Buck Rogers. King King had been remade too. This was about the same time Superman was made. The Island of Dr. Moreau, Flash Gordon, The Thing, Twilight Zone: The Movie, The Fly... the list goes on.

My point is that 'retro' is nothing new. To say we reached a level of 'postmodernity' and ran out of new ideas around the year 2000 as Robopop paraphrased from "Retromania" is silly: we have been integrating "the old" within everything we do for a long, long time. And, as Blade Runner illustrates, we think we will continue to do so in the future. I thought the fact that punk was mentioned as something that "broke from the past" in a way other '70s trends didn't or couldn't was funny because, as I said and you agreed, minus the hair a '70s punk looks like a '50s greaser. Despite the fact that the hair is different you could say the motivations behind the outlandish hair were the same. The music was similarly important to both groups, breaking away from the 'softer' popular music of their times. In spirit a greaser and a punk were almost exactly the same.