• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

feminism

jixmixfix

Permabanned
What does having hairy arm pits and hairy legs have to do with feminism I fail to see this.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
it expresses freedom. that is all.i prefer smooth skin on myself personally, but it's about the option to choose.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What does having hairy arm pits and hairy legs have to do with feminism I fail to see this.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume it's a simple, nonverbal statement combating standards of beauty imposed upon women.
Perhaps these women never liked the time it takes to remove body hair, or people's negative reactions when they refused to conform. Staying hairy might be more comfortable for them, & an opportunity to say 'fuck you' to those who find it offensive.

(personally I always hated body hair on myself, but if hippies or feminists [or whoever] wanna be fuzzy, good for them)

My hippie friend doesn't shave (she trims sometimes, apparently). She's a lazy INTP; it's not for a cause, or anything. She's happy that way, & her boyfriend doesn't care (she wouldn't care if he did).

I found it extremely amusing when we went to an amusement park last summer, & these teenage boys in line were overtly checking her out.. she was oblivious, just talking, etc. She did a big stretch upward with her arms at one point, displaying her tufts- & the boys went from horny to horrified in seconds.
I could imagine other people getting a kick out of that^ sort of shock value, in of itself, & being motivated to grow their own, ha.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ

I think if you'd put forth your understanding of what does qualify as feminism we'd have a way easier time of this.

But to answer your question:

The expectation of women to shave their arms and legs while men are expected not to betrays an unrealistic understanding of femininity. In other words the standards for women as demonstrated by those norms are not derived from the natural state of a woman. Instead, they're drawn from some other ideal which while it may be desirable for any number of reasons (pedophilia) is not a natural human female.

Now you might say men are expected to shave their beards but it's certainly not considered contrary to masculinity to grow a beard. However when a woman allows her body to do its thing she's considered less of what she is a living example of.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
it expresses freedom. that is all.i prefer smooth skin on myself personally, but it's about the option to choose.

There is no direct link to having hairy pits and legs to women's freedom it's silly to think you are leading or promoting feminism by not shaving.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
There is no direct link to having hairy pits and legs to women's freedom it's silly to think you are leading or promoting feminism by not shaving.

actually you are. think about it, in the 50s and before the husband controlled what his wife looked like or at least was more common back then. so it's going fuck you to men, i'm not gonna shave. because men don't have to shave their faces, the look nicer. but society isn't barfing on themselves, because what we've perceived as disgusting, is a natural part of a woman's body. we're actually going against evolution.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
is jixmix a guy or a girl?

not that I (obviously) don't think men should be able to talk about this stuff I just want to know if she/he is trying to keep the hair off her legs or off his quarry's.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
is jixmix a guy or a girl?

not that I (obviously) don't think men should be able to talk about this stuff I just want to know if she/he is trying to keep the hair off her legs or off his quarry's.

Obviously male. Or at least giving a very good impression of (a sexist) one. To answer the op, fer real? do you not understand symbolism?

Also...:beathorse::BangHead::sadbanana:

jixmixfix

Permabanned
actually you are. think about it, in the 50s and before the husband controlled what his wife looked like or at least was more common back then. so it's going fuck you to men, i'm not gonna shave. because men don't have to shave their faces, the look nicer. but society isn't barfing on themselves, because what we've perceived as disgusting, is a natural part of a woman's body. we're actually going against evolution.

Would you like a guy with a hairy back or chest? Isn't the trend now days for both men and women to shave? I don't think real feminism comes from not shaving I think the real feminists out there are the ones who push themselves out of stereotypical roles. Like being pioneers in math and science, joining the military, being a CEO for a major corporation etc. IMO These are the true feminists, not some dumbo who decides to not shave their armpits and their legs and thinks they are starting a feminist movement.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think if you'd put forth your understanding of what does qualify as feminism we'd have a way easier time of this.

But to answer your question:

The expectation of women to shave their arms and legs while men are expected not to betrays an unrealistic understanding of femininity. In other words the standards for women as demonstrated by those norms are not derived from the natural state of a woman. Instead, they're drawn from some other ideal which while it may be desirable for any number of reasons (pedophilia) is not a natural human female.

Now you might say men are expected to shave their beards but it's certainly not considered contrary to masculinity to grow a beard. However when a woman allows her body to do its thing she's considered less of what she is a living example of.

Having hairy legs and armpits IS NOT FEMINISM. It's as superficial as someone with a shaved head claiming to be neo nazi. I disagree with the pedophilia statement having no hair on your body has nothing to do with pedophilia whatsoever.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume it's a simple, nonverbal statement combating standards of beauty imposed upon women.
Perhaps these women never liked the time it takes to remove body hair, or people's negative reactions when they refused to conform. Staying hairy might be more comfortable for them, & an opportunity to say 'fuck you' to those who find it offensive.

(personally I always hated body hair on myself, but if hippies or feminists [or whoever] wanna be fuzzy, good for them)

My hippie friend doesn't shave (she trims sometimes, apparently). She's a lazy INTP; it's not for a cause, or anything. She's happy that way, & her boyfriend doesn't care (she wouldn't care if he did).

I found it extremely amusing when we went to an amusement park last summer, & these teenage boys in line were overtly checking her out.. she was oblivious, just talking, etc. She did a big stretch upward with her arms at one point, displaying her tufts- & the boys went from horny to horrified in seconds.
I could imagine other people getting a kick out of that^ sort of shock value, in of itself, & being motivated to grow their own, ha.

YEah but she's just being lazy she's not claiming to be a feminist, that's fine. I have a problem with women who base feminism on just that quality. I believe these women who decide not to shave do it for the attention and reaction from others more so than for a feminist statement.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nobody says having hairy legs and armpits is feminism, lol. It can be an act motivated by feminism, though. Or just laziness. Or not having enough money for razors. Personally, I don't shave my pits because it makes them itch. I am also a feminist but that's not why I do it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
YEah but she's just being lazy she's not claiming to be a feminist, that's fine. I have a problem with women who base feminism on just that quality.

Oh. I never knew any feminist chicks who didn't shave, who considered that to be their main contribution toward their cause. It was just a very small part of expressing it, or simply motivated by it.

I know there are people out there who "dress the part" for a particular movement, but don't really do much about it. Yeah, I could see that as silly/irksome, but I try not to judge/categorize too quickly. I don't know what the hell most people do with their free time, & it's equally absurd for me to draw such conclusions. /shrug

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Oh. I never knew any feminist chicks who didn't shave, who considered that to be their main contribution toward their cause. It was just a very small part of expressing it, or simply motivated by it.

I know there are people out there who "dress the part" for a particular movement, but don't really do much about it. Yeah, I could see that as silly/irksome, but I try not to judge/categorize too quickly. I don't know what the hell most people do with their free time, & it's equally absurd for me to draw such conclusions. /shrug

I'm not saying all feminists do it but from the one's that I've seen all the non shavers claimed to be "feminist".

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm not saying all feminists do it but from the one's that I've seen all the non shavers claimed to be "feminist".

Do you think that's the entire basis of their feminism? I would say that's unlikely. Consider that you might not be privy to all of their thoughts and feelings and positions on everything.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. wait. did they tell you they were feminist, or did you just assume so?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Do you think that's the entire basis of their feminism? I would say that's unlikely. Consider that you might not be privy to all of their thoughts and feelings and positions on everything.

It doesn't matter if it's likely or unlikely it has nothing to do with feminism my point is you are just making mockery of feminism and what feminists both male and female stand for.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Do you know what they might do in their spare time to support their movement, if they feel that strongly about it? It seems like you're possibly jumping to conclusions. Feminist chicks being hairy aren't all saying that quality makes them a feminist. It's just an outward nonverbal/symbolic expression of it, to some. Expression's only one dimension of how people go about challenging norms, etc. It's not meant to be looked at in such obtuse absolutes, I don't think. I'm only making guesses, here. I'd listen to the feminists here like Ivy, before making assumptions about what motivates a group of people as a whole.

I'm no feminist, and most I've known were quite extreme in their beliefs, I couldn't take them seriously (honestly I don't give a shit about their cause, at least not in the USA)- but I give the benefit of the doubt, regarding their personal drives, expression, overall competence. It almost looks like your mind is already made up, though.