• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Success and Failure

G

Ginkgo

Do you tend to define yourself by your successes, your failures, or both?

What's your reasoning? What leads you to be inclined to define yourself in the way that you do?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I wouldnt say "define myself". But success does contibute to my self esteem, while "failure" tends to lower it.

What's your reasoning? What leads you to be inclined to define yourself in the way that you do?

My reasoning is that I have but one life to live and in which to prove myself, so time is pretty short. I wont get a second chance.

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If anything, I define myself by my abilities, and I judge myself by my accomplishments.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy

I think your success can only really be defined on your 'failures,' they share, they're married. I don't like the word failure though, it's a cop out. I think that success is growth and in order to grow you have to 'become', it's a path and a mindset. No one starts out perfect, even people with 'talent' have to make mistakes and practice in order to utilize what they have. The people that reach 'success' had to experiment and be challenged a number of times to get there. Although, I don't really think there is a 'there', I think that success is ever evolving, that's for me personally though. I thought of this quote when reading the title. "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

baccheion

Neither, but I like remembering my successes from time to time. I define myself by my interests, ambitions, future, contributions, talent, ability, personality, relationships, future wife and kids, etc. A little bit of everything, some more important than others. As an added benefit, defining myself this way seems more resilient against set backs and unforseen changes.

baccheion

Neither, but I like remembering my successes from time to time. I define myself by my interests, ambitions, future, contributions, talent, ability, personality, relationships, future wife and kids, etc. A little bit of everything, some more important than others. As an added benefit, defining myself this way seems more resilient against set backs and unforseen changes.

Forget it. I don't define myself.

Lark

Dont define myself in relation to either, although I dont think I've failed ever.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Failure tells you a lot more than success, so I spend more time thinking about why and how I failed.
But - a lot of what I'm talking about isn't really 'failure', but just an outcome that is less than optimal.

ygolo

My termites win
Failure builds character. Success provides hope. However, progress, however small, is how I define myself.

baccheion

Failure is miserable when it happens after everyone around you pushes for you to experience it so you can "build character" or because they think you can "learn a lot as a result of it." And especially when they all get off on it, then start "running to your rescue" while really savoring every moment and rolling around, completely full of shit, in you "learning your lesson." Watch them lose their minds when you don't give a shit that you failed and then increase their efforts to sink you into hell.

It's one thing to use these messages to make someone (who needs it) feel better after a failure, but it's another to try to force everyone to experience it or to force these beliefs down everyone's throat so you can feel high and mighty and better about yourself.

What the hell is wrong with these people. What kinda world was I living in where I was surrounded by this shit. What kinda bullshit am I experiencing now where this shit won't go away and just keeps repeating in my head. This is what happens when you hang around or are forced to be around shit. There's nothing but bullshit.