User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default Does the concept of infinity exist in physical reality?

    Do you believe that infinity exists in physical reality, rather than just as a concept created by the human mind? I was thinking the other day that perhaps only our perceptions order the universe such that we merely perceive limited and set quantities to objects and information - so we can cope and survive easier, cutting outside data into sizable chunks - but in fact everything is of an infinite nature. Or that there are an infinite amount of universes or that scaling in the universe is never-ending e.i there are no true fundamental particles because they just break into smaller and smaller pieces endlessly, and vice-versa; if you could 'zoom out' on the universe, it would also be never-ending. Maybe quantification itself is just a survival or filtering mechanism.

    Anyway, the real question is, do you think it's more than a mere concept, or just something created as a by-product from the type of reasoning and logic the human brain uses?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    It's just the historical pattern we have seen in the gradual unfolding of our discoveries. We always set limits on how big we perceive our world to be, only to find that later observations reveal how its depth goes beyond that. It's gone from the Earth being the flat center of everything, to becoming a grain of sand within an entire ocean of worlds.

    I think the next developments could be other universes as you say, but we may even discover other dimensions of existence beyond our current range of experience.

    And then there's even the question of what happens when we die, like if we would be more free to explore the reality, or even if we return to this mundane plane for more development.

  3. #3
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    I think along the lines of the thoughts in the OP. Everything is infinite. That which the universe is composed of is of an inherently dynamic quality; it is constantly changing. Thus everything is infinity, because nothing stays the same. There are infinite possibilities and infinite combinations of circumstances, and each one will be/is/has been realized.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I think along the lines of the thoughts in the OP. Everything is infinite. That which the universe is composed of is of an inherently dynamic quality; it is constantly changing. Thus everything is infinity, because nothing stays the same. There are infinite possibilities and infinite combinations of circumstances, and each one will be/is/has been realized.
    Why do you believe the universal mind would want to realize all possibilities (because that would also include 'evil', or the dark side)?
    Perhaps it's refining us, or making us more powerful, kind of like leveling up avatars in a video game.
    Still, I really don't know, and I would be interested in your opinion.

    @The Great One wants to come here.
    Last edited by RaptorWizard; 07-09-2013 at 06:16 PM.

  5. #5
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    Why do you believe the universal mind would want to realize all possibilities (because that would also include 'evil', or the dark side)?
    Perhaps it's refining us, or making us more powerful, kind of like leveling up avatars in a video game.
    Still, I really don't know, and I would be interested in your opinion.
    Because that way the universe perceives itself from all angles, constituting infinite awareness and collective consciousness!







  6. #6
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Do you believe that infinity exists in physical reality, rather than just as a concept created by the human mind? I was thinking the other day that perhaps only our perceptions order the universe such that we merely perceive limited and set quantities to objects and information - so we can cope and survive easier, cutting outside data into sizable chunks - but in fact everything is of an infinite nature. Or that there are an infinite amount of universes or that scaling in the universe is never-ending e.i there are no true fundamental particles because they just break into smaller and smaller pieces endlessly, and vice-versa; if you could 'zoom out' on the universe, it would also be never-ending. Maybe quantification itself is just a survival or filtering mechanism.

    Anyway, the real question is, do you think it's more than a mere concept, or just something created as a by-product from the type of reasoning and logic the human brain uses?
    Everything is quantifiable apart from the eternal nature of time, it is the yin to existence's yang.

    For an honest answer, I really don't know. I'd like to think time is eternal, at the very least.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Because that way the universe perceives itself from all angles, constituting infinite awareness and collective consciousness!
    Nice pictures to illustrate your concept (they were too big to keep in your quote).
    I saw a documentary recently that outlined a similar idea to yours. Basically, the theory posits how God wanted to have the knowledge of everything, even that of good and evil, which of course brought both of these forces into the world.
    There just seem to be certain universal 'laws', or a logic everything follows that we don't have the ability to defy (yet). If we could however, the evil introducing God must be overthrown!

  8. #8
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    Nice pictures to illustrate your concept (they were too big to keep in your quote).
    I saw a documentary recently that outlined a similar idea to yours. Basically, the theory posits how God wanted to have the knowledge of everything, even that of good and evil, which of course brought both of these forces into the world.
    There just seem to be certain universal 'laws', or a logic everything follows that we don't have the ability to defy (yet). If we could however, the evil introducing God must be overthrown!
    See I don't believe in evil- there is only balance and imbalance, conscious awareness and illusion. It is the laws of the universe, or underlying principles of reality as I call them, which I aim to discover.

    Then if I can communicate the nature of reality through philosophy, the collective consciousness will increase, and we can all attain greater harmony and enlightenment, and- as you may put it- ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER.
    lol

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    See I don't believe in evil- there is only balance and imbalance, conscious awareness and illusion. It is the laws of the universe, or underlying principles of reality as I call them, which I aim to discover.
    Well, on the cosmic scale it may be small and without much meaning, but for us, pain and suffering are very real things; we might as well just for the sake of simplicity call them evil.

    Then if I can communicate the nature of reality through philosophy, the collective consciousness will increase, and we can all attain greater harmony and enlightenment, and- as you may put it- ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER.
    lol
    That's the ultimate goal, and you outlined it quite well (takes notes); my chains are broken - the Force shall free me!

  10. #10
    window shopper Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Do you believe that infinity exists in physical reality, rather than just as a concept created by the human mind? I was thinking the other day that perhaps only our perceptions order the universe such that we merely perceive limited and set quantities to objects and information - so we can cope and survive easier, cutting outside data into sizable chunks - but in fact everything is of an infinite nature. Or that there are an infinite amount of universes or that scaling in the universe is never-ending e.i there are no true fundamental particles because they just break into smaller and smaller pieces endlessly, and vice-versa; if you could 'zoom out' on the universe, it would also be never-ending. Maybe quantification itself is just a survival or filtering mechanism.

    Anyway, the real question is, do you think it's more than a mere concept, or just something created as a by-product from the type of reasoning and logic the human brain uses?
    Not sure I understand correctly. Are you asking if the universe is infinite? Einstein believed it was, personally Im not sure, but I think its a safe bet to say no human can or could explore the whole thing in their own lifetime.

Similar Threads

  1. Does The Thought of God Not Existing Terrify You?
    By serenesam in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 04-01-2014, 02:46 PM
  2. Do you believe in the concept of talent?
    By Cellmold in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-05-2013, 11:56 AM
  3. Cognitive Functions- where does the common concept of "intuition" fit in?
    By greenfairy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 12:48 AM
  4. [MBTItm] The bane of your existence and intuitve narcissism
    By proteanmix in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 11:24 AM
  5. The Role of Shadow Functions in MBTi Type
    By MerkW in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 11:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO