User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: No Cell Phone

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I love my cellphone.

I've been without cell phones for long periods of time via deployments without issue. In Iraq I didn't have one until maybe the last 3 months, when someone gave me their old one. So I just sent texts to my buddy to let him know what movie to prep for movie night that night. Hah!

In Africa recently I didn't have one until half-way through when I went to Uganda. My mission commander had bought one, but offered it to me since I was more tech savvy. I ended up using it to text HFD all the time I even had to sneak out one evening to try to find an MTN (the minutes provider) booth still open to get more minutes. I probably wasted more money on minutes in Uganda than I care to calculate. And you know what? I HATED THAT PLAIN OLD PHONE!! It couldn't hold more than 80 texts! How am I suppose to flirt and re-visit cute texts like that!? I can't is the issue!

So! Smart phone for me, I love it, never looking back.

And GPS I <3 it. Although, I tend to read the map and directions before I set out on a course, so it's easier for me to get a hang of where it's trying to take me. GPS isn't perfect, so reading the map yourself ahead of time makes the whole thing work like magic.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Also it's nice to be able to text when you're on the train, in the quiet car.
    The fact that I get nauseated really easily from reading while in motion would probably make it harder for me to enjoy alll the stuff smartphones have. But then again, I like looking out the windows, getting lost in thought. Or watching people on the subway, like a creep in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    And GPS I <3 it. Although, I tend to read the map and directions before I set out on a course, so it's easier for me to get a hang of where it's trying to take me. GPS isn't perfect, so reading the map yourself ahead of time makes the whole thing work like magic.
    They've gotten you too?!
    No one is safe...

Y'know.. maybe I'm just a damn weirdo when it comes to the GPS. I have trouble visually understanding maps, too, frequently. I have the absolute easiest time with written verbal directions (supplemented by a visual map, but it takes longer to grasp overall if I don't have the written words).
    I still think GPS is inherently evil, though.

I'll stop derailing the thread with my GPS hatred, now, haha.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    This has been the first month I've ever had a cell and that was because there are seldom payphones and Internet access anymore without. I have on purpose not gotten one before because I don't have a huge need for it and I think it would be easy to become lazy making plans, being present in the moment, thinking ahead, budgeting time etc if there is always a fallback there.
    I agree completely. What did people do before cell phones? They actually planned ahead, and kept their commitments, and gave people reasonable notice if they had to make a change. Same thing about GPS. When I go somewhere new, I go online and print out a map. This also allows me to peruse the area ahead of time. I can use the maps in any car, can give them to someone else, etc. As a passenger, I have seen GPS units give people some very odd routes, when I know from personal experience a much better way to get there. My house, for instance, is not accurately shown on either GPS directions or googlemaps. If you want to find it, you need me to give you directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I agree with your sentiments above.
    I didn't get a cellphone until I was 28 (when my wife was pregnant for the first time) - and since then have realized that until the day I die I must be reachable in the event my wife or kids needs me.
    That part of having a cellphone is cool with me; I want to available when needed for my loved ones.

However, ALOT of cellphone calls are anything but emergencies - and that is when they feel like a "leash" instead of a useful communications tool.
    Finally, I am in disbelief each day as I see people walking through busy parking lots whilst gazing into their iPhones to check their FB statuses or other task far less important than not getting run over by a vehicle.
    We are not the first generation to want our spouses, kids, or even aging parents to be able to reach us easily. We are simply the first to have access to cell phone technology. All those prior generations were still able to care for their families without it, so I'm not sure cell phones are needed, even for that. I especially agree with you about the frivolous use. When I help with women's self-defense classes, one of the things we point out to the participants is the need for situational awareness, especially in places don't seem that safe. Having your nose in a cellphone is bad practice.

I have hesitated to get a cell phone primarily because the limited use I would put it to does not justify the cost. Maybe once or twice a year I need (really need, not simply want) to make a phone call when I am away from a landline. I have always been able to find a pay phone, or occasionally borrow someone's cell phone. In addition to the cost/benefit fail, I don't like the traceability of cell phones. When I had the work blackberry, I felt like I was wearing a homing device. I would often leave it at home or remove the battery when not on the job. I suppose it's fair game for my employer to be able to track my whereabouts during work hours, but I don't want anyone doing that on my own time. Finally, I would have a hard time getting used to a cell phone instead of a land line, since I would have to keep the phone nearby to hear it ring. I have 3 landline phones in my house, and I can hear the phone ring from anywhere. Doesn't mean I always answer it, but I know a call is coming in.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

I wouldn't mind not having one. I often forget mine at home when I leave and I don't miss it one bit. Sometimes I feel I'd like to go back to my childhood/teenage years when I'd be out on the street and nobody would break my b**. I already feel too overwhelmed by constant internet/phone/etc. Maybe without all of this crap I'd be able to concentrate on one thing at a time and slow down. Who knows.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius has a rather basic smart phone; he does not really use his phone. He only really has one as using the running apps on a phone worked out cheaper than buying a GPS watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    They've gotten you too?!
    No one is safe...

Y'know.. maybe I'm just a damn weirdo when it comes to the GPS. I have trouble visually understanding maps, too, frequently. I have the absolute easiest time with written verbal directions (supplemented by a visual map, but it takes longer to grasp overall if I don't have the written words).

Yup they have! It was originally a cost thing--I didn't want to buy another Key map, so I just started using the free GPS on my phone via google. Now it's a convenience thing--keeps me on time when making appointments and such.

I'm actually quite good with maps. I get a little nervous when under pressure to read them, but I've found myself fairly accurate when doing land navigation training, and when my brother and I got lost in downtown Boston for a while and we were suppose to meet his wife it's so easy to look at my map and say, "Oh, yeah, I have to go to the southwest side. Okay." and just look at the GPS again when I'm about 5 minutes out from destination and see the exact streets to turn on. It's made a lot of potentially irritating navigation issues quite easy on me in my own home town.

I will, however, complain that it is far less adapted for other hometowns. I had a lot of eye-twitching irritation issues in San Francisco with it, and frequently resorted to the crappy free maps you get from the airport. It did the job fine for finding restaurants and stores, but when we needed help locating other things or needing to turn around and go back home, it would get confused and send us down the wrong roads. The more complex the roadways are in a city, the more issues you will have with the GPS. Houston is easy--a few linear highways, and a couple big circles around them.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

WALMART

Cell phones are pretty whack....

If you don't like having access to the entire universe of established information at your fingertips. I could see phobics in general growing wary to the almighty power the modern cell phone has wrought.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Falcarius has a rather basic smart phone; he does not really use his phone. He only really has one as using the running apps on a phone worked out cheaper than buying a GPS watch.
    Dinosaurs aren't supposed to need phones at all, you sellout.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post

http://fivefiftyfivechronicles.blogs...d-to-turn.html
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I would get lost constantly without GPS, be super bored on public transit without games to play and Internet to read, and annoyed that I can't google random facts I need to find out immediately.

As annoying as they can be, and even though I think our phones are going to start turning against us someday, I still love my iPhone. (Typing this on it right now )