User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 202

  1. #21
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    The U.N. and the International Crime of Criticising Islam

    The United Nations has adopted a Resolution to Combat Defamation of Religion. The U.N. now wants to make that anti-blasphemy resolution binding on member nations, including, of course, our own. That would make it a crime in the United States and Australia … to criticize religion, in particular, Islam.

  2. #22
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    How do you feel about multiple wives?
    How do you know that the OP isn't a female?

    Islam has a lot more welcoming/marketing traits than multiple wives. Sex slaves and underage wives are a few more. Also Islam gives the right for it's followers to rape non-Islamic-women. Mohomed himself had sex slaves. The Quran says that he treated them well.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    How do you feel about multiple wives?
    I don't agree with it, and most Muslims I have known don't agree with it and I even read that most Muslims don't practice it. A Muslim man in Iraq told me that his dad promised his mom he would never marry another woman.

    As far as multiple relationships go though, I do have a problem with the description I have read about their heaven before, but I have not been able to find much on this interpretation. What I did read said that if you have been obedient to God enough to get into what seems to be the ultimate heaven, then you get whatever you ask for, including 70 virgins. I disagree with this for one, because I have a belief, which is sort of characteristic of being Christian that you are obedient because the natural laws in the universe in a sense reward you for it. You walk with God because there are benefits, not so that one day you can have anything and everything. I feel like the purpose in walking with God is that you learn you don't want to have all of these immediate senses met or desires you had when you were younger to come true; there are more fulfilling things out there. And of course, I simply don't like the seventy virgins itself for many reasons.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    How do you know that the OP isn't a female?

    Islam has a lot more welcoming/marketing traits than multiple wives. Sex slaves and underage wives are a few more. Also Islam gives the right for it's followers to rape non-Islamic-women. Mohomed himself had sex slaves. The Quran says that he treated them well.
    I am female.

    I find that hard to believe considering removing some of the genitalia is the norm and there are stonings and such. Keep in mind when men married multiple wives, it was considered a duty he was taking on for society or because his brother died. From what Muslims have told me, there is not usually very much sexual involved in this kind of set up considering purity is a strong concern. Marrying another woman allowed her to have a home to live in and more kids. I am not necessarily agreeing with it even in those circumstances though.

    And course there is evil everywhere. I do believe there are Muslims who marry women just for their own selfish reasons; lust and because it's a sign of status to afford more than one wife.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Ene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    To be perfectly honest, I'm concerned that you're going to make this extremely important decision on gut instinct, lashing out angrily against your local Christian community by converting without thinking. I'm not afraid of you "not being saved", or something -- my personal theology is very liberal in that regard -- but I am concerned that you're too caught up in the heat of the moment to step back and analyze the various faiths as objectively as you can.
    Newby,

    Even after I read your response, I must say that I share EJCC's concerns. Please bear with me as I have to work my way up to saying what I actually want to get across.

    Remember this, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

    ...the message of Jesus was to set people free, not put them in bondage to rituals and rules. Over and over he tried to get the religious leaders of his day to understand that it wasn't in keeping the "community's standards" that made them right with God. It was simply trusting that God was who he said he was and that he meant what he said.

    The message of Jesus was freedom from the law of sin and death [Jewish religion was based in LAW. Isalm is also based in LAWS i.e. RULES]. Religions, all of them, are based on keeping rules in order to obtain righteousness with God. I ate lunch between a Muslim and a Jew at a writer's conference in Wisconsin. I sat between these two ladies, both devoted to their religions. I asked them questions about how they believed and both of them told me that their religions were "works" oriented. Both ladies told me that they believed they had to keep the rules to inherit eternal life. They both believed they have to conform to the standards of their religious community. Sadly, I have a Mormon cousin who believes he has to do so many "good works" to get into Heaven and I know several other denominations who teach such things. That's bondage. Are you sure you want to be a slave? Sadly, many people who claim to follow Christ are also slaves to religious systems, because they don't realize what his coming to earth actually signified. Often, people of all kinds, just go through the motions. They know the right things to say and the right things to do. That's among ALL people, regardless of religion.

    I don't mean to be bossy or sound "preachy" but I ask you to consider not basing your decision to become "anything" based upon the way people of a certain group make you feel. If you base it upon how people act you are going to find yourself feeling the same way down the road, even in Islam when you discover that among some the rules are more important than the person and that not everybody's going to really go beyond niceties. [mostly because many people "can't" go beyond that until they discover who they really are.]

    People are just people whether they are Christian, Muslim or anything else. You can't base your spirituality and the course of you life on the dogmas of other people [I mean you can, but I wouldn't recommend it.]

    My advice to you would be to seek a personal fellowship with God first and in so doing, also discover who you are and then, and only then, be concerned about belonging to a community. The overwhelming desire to be a part of a community can lead a person into falling prey to cults and all sorts of stuff. To me faith isn't a religious system. It's believing that God is...if your faith is in Jesus, then take your focus off those other people and put it on him. Read his words, discover who he really was/is, before you decide to abandoned him based upon the acts or lack thereof of people who may only have a religious appearance. He spoke of people who served him with their lips but their hearts [spirits] were far from him. Maybe you have encountered such people.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

  6. #26
    Senior Member Bamboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    XXFP
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    Faith isn't the issue as much as the lack of community in Christianity. I feel there are hundreds of people around me at church and they say nice things and open the door for you, but push come to shove, people don't practice what they say they believe in. I am tired of being on my own in my virtues. So I guess my point is, my lack of faith in a sense comes from the lack of inspiration.

    I can't find like-minded Christians. I have previously known many Muslims, so I know of course they are not all the same.

    I haven't even read the Curan or talked to many Muslims about the religion, so how can I say I believe he was a prophet? Although, I thought Allah was God not a prophet.

    And yes, I do believe I may die if I try to continue on with the Christian thing. I have been so hurt and the only way to move forward is to learn from the mistake, redeem myself, and truly commit to God. When I say truly, I mean I can't be in and out with Church, I have to be around people who have the same belief as me more often, in a place where the standards are cultivated and enforced.
    Yeah, I don't know why I typed that, long night, Mohammed the prophet.

    On a practical level, I suppose if you're after community I'd expect most religions would be happy to take you, but you're going to have to accept certain items "be a Muslim." Among them: Allah is God. Muhammed was his prophet.

    However, communities can be very dangerous if you are so eager to be part of them.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

  7. #27
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    How do you know that the OP isn't a female?
    One doesn't have to be a female to be against it.

    Islam has a lot more welcoming/marketing traits than multiple wives. Sex slaves and underage wives are a few more. Also Islam gives the right for it's followers to rape non-Islamic-women. Mohomed himself had sex slaves. The Quran says that he treated them well.
    Pretty much every rich person used to have slaves back in the days. Don't know how things work currently, so can't comment on that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    I don't agree with it, and most Muslims I have known don't agree with it and I even read that most Muslims don't practice it. A Muslim man in Iraq told me that his dad promised his mom he would never marry another woman.

    As far as multiple relationships go though, I do have a problem with the description I have read about their heaven before, but I have not been able to find much on this interpretation. What I did read said that if you have been obedient to God enough to get into what seems to be the ultimate heaven, then you get whatever you ask for, including 70 virgins. I disagree with this for one, because I have a belief, which is sort of characteristic of being Christian that you are obedient because the natural laws in the universe in a sense reward you for it. You walk with God because there are benefits, not so that one day you can have anything and everything. I feel like the purpose in walking with God is that you learn you don't want to have all of these immediate senses met or desires you had when you were younger to come true; there are more fulfilling things out there. And of course, I simply don't like the seventy virgins itself for many reasons.
    That's very interesting to know.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Yeah, I don't know why I typed that, long night, Mohammed the prophet.

    On a practical level, I suppose if you're after community I'd expect most religions would be happy to take you, but you're going to have to accept certain items "be a Muslim." Among them: Allah is God. Muhammed was his prophet.

    However, communities can be very dangerous if you are so eager to be part of them.
    I don't get your long night sentence???

    I guess a moderator changed my language, because I don't use the term like-minded, but I'm not worried about it. Just thought it was strange.

    I totally agree with you there. I am worried that a community with such dedication and discipline could get scary...

  9. #29
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Newbyagain, no moderator changed your language. It's exactly as you wrote it.

  10. #30
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    I am female.
    Holy crap, are you kidding me. (also, good call, @Riva)

    In that case, absolutely never assume that a man who has the power to get away with having other wives wouldn't go for it just because he once said so. That's not how things work.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Calling All INTJs: I am considering becoming INTJ
    By Mal12345 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 12:10 AM
  2. [ENFJ] Calling all ENFJs...
    By AbsentMaverick in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 08:31 PM
  3. [ENFJ] Calling all ENFJs!
    By Littlelostnf in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 07:48 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Calling all shoppers...
    By Sandy in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO