User Tag List

First 1018192021 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

People who fit that profile usually lack self awareness to acknowledge their condition. When one values faith too much, questioning abilities get compromised.

Nice try, anyways.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Fot what it's worth, I assumed the OP was a woman even before she stated it (just going by her writing style) and also belief that she is an American.

I'd agree that there is a large varierty within Islam and that any religion contains both beauty and dangers depending on how you live it.

However, what struck me the most and what has been touched upon very little in this thread is something completely different. The OP's urgent and intense need for external rules, guidance, discipline, etc. does not seem healthy to me. While I am an atheist myself I do understand the value of religion, I really do. But I think that the OP's reasons for considering a change of religion are not very well thought out. They seem to have an emotional/psychological rather than a theological basis.

Wouldn't it be dishonest towards your fellow muslims to join them merely because you like the idea of covering your head?! Because you like to feel modest and maybe feel awkward about your body (speculating here)? Simply because you want some external force to give you a framework to live in? That sounds like a bad reason to join any religion.

There are good reasons to become a muslim or join any religion. But like others have said, those are theological reasons. If you feel that the Quran really speaks to you and you truely believe that Jesus was not the son of god and that Mohamed was the last of the prophets, then you might be ready, not before that.

Pleaes don't get this the wrong way, but you seem to know very little about Islam (you haven't even read the Quran!!! oh, and you'd have to learn Arabic too because most consider that only the Arabic original of the book is the true word of god and that translations are just crutches), not really have researched other communities within your current religion and base this whole thing on your emotional frustration with specific your current community and your emotional vulnerabilty rather than on calm thinking.

You even stated that you'd die if you don't join a disciplined strict community to give you something to hold on to. That sounds like you might be highly unstable emotionally. That is what has me worried.

I'm sure becoming a muslim might be a great choice for some people in some situations, but you do not sound like that is what you truely need right now. Get your personal stuff sorted out first (maybe with the help of a professional) and only when you feel like a strong, healthy, confident woman again and after fully informing yourself about all your options and being ready to make an informed decision THEN can you truely become a good muslim and live that faith - not out of fear of the world or yourself or in orderto escape your issues but because you truely believe in the pillars of that religion and want to follow it with all your heart.

Anything else would just be dishonest towards yourself and others.
    @Coriolis

Yes, I definitely wouldn't become Muslim without believing the teachings. I know that. I have respected the religion and have been interested in it for about eight years now. I hit a hard spot a few years ago and now I becoming stronger. It's only lately that I have started to make a real effort to find out more. In the beginning levels of strength that I am building back in myself, I have a bit of a vision that Islam could be good for me.

But I may be open to not believing word for word everything in the Curan, if I can do that.

I have been thinking it would be appropriate to learn Arabic. I've noticed most Muslims speak some Arabic.

What we are talking about on here, is just me getting started. I want to explore these changes I want to make and find out where I need to be. I am not on a set path to become Muslim.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    SSDD

Been said yet?

Good luck on your endeavour.
    True.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What do you consider to be a "female writing style"?
    Well, I was mostly referring to her vibe. But if you are implying doubt over whether gender has an influence on language, I can only tell you that I was taught so in my socioliguinstics class (and also observed this myself many times) and refer you to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_and_gender.

What most people would call a "female/male vibe" is basically the subsconcious summary of those traits.

I have pointed this out a couple times already, but so far, no response from the OP.
    Yes, that's why I said "very little" and not "not at all". I guess it's up to her to take our suggestions to heart or leave it. *sigh*
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

How about becoming a Hasidic Jew?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Well, I was mostly referring to her vibe. But if you are implying doubt over whether gender has an influence on language, I can only tell you that I was taught so in my socioliguinstics class (and also observed this myself many times) and refer you to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_and_gender.

What most people would call a "female/male vibe" is basically the subsconcious summary of those traits.
    My question was exactly that - a question, and not a conclusion. I have long observed differences in the topics men and women often choose to discuss, but differences in the language itself, say when used to address the same topic, is far less obvious. I was interested in your observations. A quick look at the reference you linked suggests these differences may be more closely tied to T/F, like other differences often attributed to gender (see example below).

Tannen compares gender differences in language to cultural differences. Comparing conversational goals, she argues that men tend to use a "report style," aiming to communicate factual information, whereas women more often use a "rapport style," which is more concerned with building and maintaining relationships
    I don't want to derail the thread further, but this is of interest so I will probably start a thread for it soon.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    How about becoming a Hasidic Jew?
    OMGLOL
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx

I just Googled "calling all Muslims" to see if this is a common phrase. like someone on here said as part of accusing me of being Muslim. The only thing that came up in the search results was one Facebook page and this thread.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Newbyagain View Post
    I just Googled "calling all Muslims" to see if this is a common phrase. like someone on here said as part of accusing me of being Muslim. The only thing that came up in the search results was one Facebook page and this thread.
    I got 302,000 results for "calling all Muslims" (including the quotes).
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Society

Is my reasoning for considering becoming Muslim not good?
    isn't that a tad problematic? if you are joining due to the desired lifestyle rather than genuinely believing in the muslim tenants, then technically speaking, YOU will not be practicing what you genuinely believe in... at which point you will be creating the very same problem you seem to have with your christian community, a.k.a. this:
    push come to shove, people don't practice what they say they believe in.
    it's like you are moving out of a neighborhood to escape it's drug problem and packing the meth lab in your suitcase.