User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ

Default Darkest before the dawn

Is it easier to be depressed at night? Is it harder to be optimistic when surrounded by darkness? Or is it because all the distractions of the day can no longer be used as a buffer?

MBTI
    INTP

For me, it's basically all of the above. I find it easier to sift through my emotions when alone and when it's dark because there are no distractions to hinder whatever mood it is that I'm in. More often than not, I get into these self-pity moods which is identifiable with depression, and I find that it is most pronounced at night. I think it pretty much has to do with the solitude that allows for more inwardly-directed thoughts to be made less ambiguous and therefore easier to take into account.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by hiddengem View Post
    Is it easier to be depressed at night? Is it harder to be optimistic when surrounded by darkness? Or is it because all the distractions of the day can no longer be used as a buffer?
    No, I find it easier to be myself in the darkness, precisely because all the distractions of the day are no longer a buffer to the inner me. Fortunately I'm an optimistic soul?

MBTI
    INFP

The night.. for some.. is the only time when their mind can rest, and their thoughts can creep in.

If you are going through a hard time, or if you are prone to depression, then these thoughts may drag you down.

But if you have an inner peace, then the night is most pleasant.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by hiddengem View Post
    Have you heard of the "winter blues"? Studies have found that sunlight is a huge determinent of mood, so there is all possibilty that nighttime could be more likely to promote depression. I'd say it has more to do with our reaction to light than anything else.

Personally, winter does seem to have a bit of an affect upon me because the nights are so long and dark. I wouldn't classify it as depressed though, it's more along the lines of morose. Summer is by far my favourite season of the year, there is definitely something comforting in looking up to a clear blue sky.
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I get more depressed during the winter, but this doesn't apply to nighttime. Nighttime is calm... expansive. The air seems clearer and I feel less alone and oppressed by noise and light.

heart on fire

I always feel better at night, always have.

Quote Originally Posted by keanne32 View Post
    For me, it's basically all of the above. I find it easier to sift through my emotions when alone and when it's dark because there are no distractions to hinder whatever mood it is that I'm in. More often than not, I get into these self-pity moods which is identifiable with depression, and I find that it is most pronounced at night. I think it pretty much has to do with the solitude that allows for more inwardly-directed thoughts to be made less ambiguous and therefore easier to take into account.
    Exactly. I'm more prone to depression at night because my mind is left alone to ponder my troubles.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Default Suspicion

On waking I start my day with negative thoughts, often about people.

But then I have coffee and read the newspaper at the Bakery, and I start to think how beautiful the trees look in the sunshine.

And I go for a walk, always of course wearing a hat. And I am likely to meet someone and share a joke and I start to think how good-humoured people are.

And my mood keeps rising all during the day, meal after meal, good humoured exchange after good humoured exchanged until I reach a moment of euphoria at about five in the afternoon, when the whole world seems as warm as the people.

And then I float in my five o'clock euphoria until about eleven and sleep.

Until I wake next morning and look around me with suspicion.

MBTI
    INFJ

It's not day/night for me so much as it is sunny/grey. Gloomy days are the absolute worst, and new england is notorious for crappy days. I gotta move to california one day to revel in the sun
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]