User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think street evangelizers are hilarious.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENFP

Am I the only one on Earth that goes out of my way to stand next to these angry street preacher guys and start preaching at the top of my lungs that (Insert whoever that persons god is, usually Jesus) taught love and forgiveness, and that this person is the anti-everything that he/she teaches.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think there's a difference between someone preaching the Tao of Pooh on one hand and Christianity or Atheism on the other... most people couldn't give a flying shit about the Tao of Pooh while Christianity and Atheism bring up a lot of bile in a lot of people... they have deeper, more violent histories of conflict. A man screaming on the roadside is bringing all that up again instead of leaving people in peace, as Jesus said to do. Jesus taught mostly by example. I always thought of the Gospel or Good News as something that needed to be embodied, as Christ embodied it... soap-box demagogues represent some of the worst forms of proselytism ever (aside from conversion by the sword and a few others of a more invasive nature).
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I would be just as discombobulated by someone shouting and ranting about Atheism as I would Christianity...even someone shouting about the Tao of Pooh!
    Definitely. I will stick with my Avatar. No loud screaming, I promise.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    yupp

When I was younger I would get offended by things, but as I've grown I've learned people are going to think and believe what they want, and unless they're personally chewing me out or attacking me or picking on a specific person it doesn't bother me. It's like fine you think I'm going to hell? ok you think that but I don't believe in hell, so I can laugh later about this. We just got back from the store and they're was a lady on the bus preaching about Jesus and god. Since she wasn't in anybody's face it didn't bother me. Then when we were waiting for the bus to come home we saw her again walking down the street ranting on about religion. That and I've been on an amtrak train with a crazy lady and we had to listen to her for hours talk about god and people going to hell eventually the conductors locked her in the bathroom and kicked her off at the one of the stops. I mean she was insane and I figure if I can survive the rantings of someone going through a psychotic break for a few hours I can survive ten minutes.

so maybe this is why I have a hard time grasping my room mates reaction?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISTx

If this startles or offends someone, they need to get out more. I'm from san fran and you can pretty much bet you'll run into one or two of these people on any given outing down town.

I like to stop and talk to them on occasion. I like to hear their theories and what not. I find it mildly entertaining. The people that do this suffer from mental problems and probably years of drug abuse. I don't see it as someone trying to force religion down my throat, just a sick person doing what they feel convicted to do given their impaired state of mind.

Enneagram
    1w2

There's a guy who shines shoes in my building who greets everyone saying "Praise Him!!" or "Peace, blessings, and grace to you."

My first reaction even though I'm Christian, was damn, I don't want a bible thumper in my face guilting me into saying good morning. But then after awhile I started to notice how good natured he was and he wasn't attacking people, it was just a simple greeting. I've even had a couple of conversations with him and he's not crazy.

OK, then you have the crazy person on the street doing this which is a slightly different circumstance. Some of these people are severely mentally ill. I guess I'm kinda foolish in circumstances like this because I like talking to crazy people unless they seem violent, the likelihood of which increases depending on how close you are to your local VA hospital.

I find the more urban and used to city life you are, the less this offends you. Especially in DC where some of everybody gets up on their soapbox in front of the White House or Capital and starts "preaching." I'm especially fond of the Black Israelites, they draw quite a crowd!

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    There's a guy who shines shoes in my building who greets everyone saying "Praise Him!!" or "Peace, blessings, and grace to you."

My first reaction even though I'm Christian, was damn, I don't want a bible thumper in my face guilting me into saying good morning. But then after awhile I started to notice how good natured he was and he wasn't attacking people, it was just a simple greeting. I've even had a couple of conversations with him and he's not crazy.

OK, then you have the crazy person on the street doing this which is a slightly different circumstance. Some of these people are severely mentally ill. I guess I'm kinda foolish in circumstances like this because I like talking to crazy people unless they seem violent, the likelihood of which increases depending on how close you are to your local VA hospital.

I find the more urban and used to city life you are, the less this offends you. Especially in DC where some of everybody gets up on their soapbox in front of the White House or Capital and starts "preaching." I'm especially fond of the Black Israelites, they draw quite a crowd!
    Yeah I talk to crazy people but you can sense if they're violent and if I think they might be I try to get away from them as fast as I can. but people are like I can't believe you had a conversation with that person.

The person on the bus had some serious mental issues, I mean she was talking to someone that wasn't there. actually shouting at them. which can be frightening if your in a certain mind set at the moment. Same with the train, I think for me the train was worse cuz it was the first time I had experienced that and it was a long time I was on the train, this wasn't an innercity train like the el or the metro or whatever the hell they call in dc it's the train that goes from New Orleans to Chicago and their is often a good 2-3 hours between stops. But after that experience it's not as frightening to me. I guess I'm one of those people that once they experience something they tend to begin to understand things slightly better.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Offensive? No. Sad and somewhat funny, yes. It's just noise to be ignored. Unless they are the pro-lifers that like to stand outside this woman's clinic not to far from my house next to the 7-11 I stop at frequently. I sometimes feel like throwing one of those dark colored Slurpee's at them but...I like my Slurpee's more than I dislike them. I occasionally remind them that the 7-11 is often hiring and maybe they should find something more constructive to do like get a job.

MBTI
    ISTx

I've had this in my photobucket for forever. On the topic of forceful witnessing... heh