User Tag List

123 Last

Default How do street preachers make you feel?

Are there a lot of street preachers in your part of the world and how do you feel when you encounter one or a group of them?

I feel a range of emotions between annoyance to anger, its mild annoyance if they seem to be preaching in vague or general ways, quote obscure sources to make even more obscure points which even the schooled are going to wonder about to anger if I think they are doling out a well rationalised sectarianism.

In all cases I'm generally struck about how different they are from their inspiration, in people skills, presentation skills or public speaking alone and on the other hand in their appeal or persuasiveness, they are all exlcusionary rather than inclusionary which bothers me a lot and their good news doesnt seem like good news at all.

I passed one today and the guy made me want to rush into a book shop and bring him out James Hogg's Confessions of a Justified Sinner or Erasmus and Luther's Discourse on Free Will because they were obviously very ignorant of either of them, the guy seemed smart enough too.

Which leads me to another thing about them which annoys me, although this is not restricted to street preachers by any stretch and includes any soap box speaker, when someone is smart enough to have acquired some learning, to be able to regurgitate it, but either arent interested in a more complete learning which could undermine the little knowledge they have already acquired.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

When I go into the city near here for events I've only seen street preachers perhaps once or twice. I have, however seen people holding signs or handing out pamphlets of various natures. These I more or less ignore. What does bother me are the people that come up to me, explain that they believe in being healed by God, and ask to pray for me. I find it a bit invasive, not to mention the fact that I can't wrap my head around the apparent arrogance of the particular theology they follow. What makes them believe that their praying is going to do healing that the guy on that street last month, countless doctors, my faith in God at one point, and God's will hasn't done?
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

There are actually a lot of street preachers in Philly. There was one dude dressed up in goofy, ornate robes going on about how caucasians are the devil in downtown today.

Generally, they make me uncomfortable, but I pity them, because they care a lot about something, and think it's something everyone needs to know about, but most people (myself included), at best, regard them as a nuisance.

I honestly wonder if people like that have a mental illness that they aren't being treated for. Not because of their religious beliefs, but because they do things like wear silly robes and shout gibberish over a microphone. That's an excellent way to get ignored or laughed at, not to get listened to and taken seriously.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    yupp

most of them are bat shit crazy, and get thrown off of busses in chicago for disturbing the peace. not many down here though. so it depends on how big of city you're in here ??? plus i generally ignore them and if they engage me i go yes ma'm yes sir no ma'm no sir and try to leave as quick as possible
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTj

I used to engage them for entertainment when I was younger. Now, I have lost interest and just ignore them. The fact that I can't remember a lot of the comparative religion stuff I knew when I was younger might be part of the reason as well.

However, I despise the Jews for Jesus people. I will aggressively engage them whenever I see them. Although, I haven't seen those folks since I left the LA area, so I don't expect to be challenged any time soon.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Do Jews for Jesus ever successfully convert Jews? Do they think Jews don't know about Jesus? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be a functional adult in the U.S. and not have heard of Jesus.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

A twinge of pity for them.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Do Jews for Jesus ever successfully convert Jews? Do they think Jews don't know about Jesus? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be a functional adult in the U.S. and not have heard of Jesus.
    Well, they themselves are Jews. So yeah, they are successful at least occasionally.

They are a very specific sect, that hold a very specific set of beliefs. They are not merely Jews who talk about Jesus. They dress in Hasidic garb and attempt to convert Orthodox Jews, primarily. And that ticks me off.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

your resident asshole

I've only ever seen one at my university and I had a somewhat mixed reaction. I was both annoyed and amused at the same time. It seemed interesting that he'd be there considering the majority of the people where I live are already Christian anyway. There is also a sizable population of Muslims, though. Maybe they were his target demographic.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Interesting... It wasn't clear to me if they were Jews that converted, or Christians pretending to be Jews.

I think the dude I saw today was a member of some offshoot of this group:

Black Hebrew Israelites

Visit my Johari: