• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you determine your self worth?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What are your current standards for others?

I don't know, that's a good question. I guess my standard for others would be not hurting people and/or not causing harm. But we all hurt people and we all cause harm. And also, I want people to recognize their shitty opinions for what they are. But you can't force someone into that or you become worse than they are.

What helps for me (this has really become a tangent that hardly relates to self worth) is imagining people who've done... questionable things going home and putting on their pajamas and kissing their children and making themselves dinner and cuddling their pets. Nothing is mutually exclusive. Everyone is human. I don't know if this makes any sense but realizing this really helped me not loathe myself. And not loathing yourself is good for self worth.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really never think about self worth... it's not how I judge myself. I judge myself based on how alive I feel at any given time

do I have things that have my interest?

are there things that I am working towards?

are there things that I care about?

if so, I'm alive and that's what matters

living just because I'm not dead is not something to aim for... living because I love to be living is really the only way to go and in my opinion getting some real joy out of my time existing is worth more than anything else in the entire world :)

CitizenErased

Clean Slate
I don't know how to measure self worth, because I consider that, no matter what I do (or don't do), I'll always love myself more than I love others. That doesn't mean that I think I'm the best. Most of the times I believe I could be a better me (only that there's a part of myself that doesn't let me for some reason). I imagine that without that block, I could progress a lot, I know I have the potential.

So, summing up, I don't always have the same amount of self worth, but it is always more than the worthiness I assign to others. Probably, one day, maybe, I'll find someone I consider more worthy than myself and then I'll see how I deal with myself.

I was thinking about the meaning of self worth. I have like my own dictionary and I'm always careful about how words are built and the difference between their literal meaning and the established, accepted meaning. In a way,considering oneself worthy is completely different from considering others worthy. Being worth something is sort of "deserving something" (as I understand it), so yes, I believe I deserve lots of good things... and who doesn't want good things to happen to them? Even those who feel guilty of having done something wrong, they did wrong because they put themselves first. And considering others worthy is also egotistical in the sense that one judges who deserves good things. So, I'd go with the word "value", because I can value aspects of others without thinking they deserve good things (e.g.: Hitler being a SOB but having crazy oratory skills). Likewise, I could say what aspects I value about myself without thinking my aspects are better than others'.

Mole

Permabanned
If we are ends rather than means, self worth has no meaning.

But if we are means rather than ends, we all know what someone is worth, and it is their net wealth.

We only have to hear Mr Trump boast about his wealth to know if he is a means or an end.